Lembar / Lombok

Finding it difficult to find information regarding R.C.I Quantum 5hr shore excursion to Senggigi. Most reviews I have read mention there is not much there. If I book this excursion we would be staying in that area as I have limited movement. I was hoping to park myself down somewhere comfortable while the wife and Daughter explored the town ( if there is one ).  I am not sure but I think there is no tender at Lenbar port and I am wondering if it is worth exploring the port area. Hopefully you guys are familiar with this port call and can enlighten me.

Cheers John.

Edited by JohnGc
added extra question

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Lombok is like Bali 30 years ago, nit much there except bad roads, dirty markets and all the rest of it that goes with a developing country. Perhaps stay on board.

I walked outside the taxi enclosure and booked a car for the day for a set price.  The driver took us to a number of  beautiful beaches and waited for us.  It was an interesting day, with farmers drying their crops on the road in one place.  We paid on return to ship.  

I did a HAL tour of Lombok last year which was interesting and included the State Museum

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297734-d4744397-Reviews-West_Nusa_Tenggara_State_Museum-Mataram_Lombok_West_Nusa_Tenggara.html

At the museum there was free coffee and cake available as well as seating (I do not know if this would be the same for RCI tours).

I had been to Lombok a few years before and heard similar reports to what you have heard and decided not to go ashore, my mistake. It is third world in appearance, however, by touring these areas we learn more about the world and how others live and contibute to the local economy. I did not explore the port area. Also IIRC, it was a longish ride to town in a small bus with no AC (which does not bother me). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, looks like I will have a serious talk with myself and make a decision. I am not adverse to staying aboard at ports that I have been to before but I normally try to go ashore where it is the first time if it is worth it.

cheers John 

If you have mobility problems Lombok is probably a on-board day. While the new cruise ship dock makes disembarking easy, Lombok doesn’t have the footpaths that you’ll find in (parts of) Bali. On the day we arrived, there was a small number of stalls set up but otherwise there isn’t anything in the port area. Sengiggi is what the tourist areas of Bali looked like 20-30 years ago. Nice enough in the resorts but otherwise a bit rustic.

• Like 1