Bringing Wine onboard midcruise when on a "Wine Cruise"

Tudy

I have searched the boards and can't find what I am looking for. I seem to recall that Celebrity sometimes allows passengers to keep wine with them that they purchased on shore excursions when the cruise was an official wine cruise.

Am I imaging this? Those of you who have been on wine cruises, what has your experience been?

I have been on European cruises and Australian cruises where I was allowed to bring wine back onboard.  I have never had any confiscated until the end of the cruise.  You can always try it and the worst that can happen is that they will keep it until the end.  YMMV.

Security knows that I have wine as I can see it on the scanner.

Given the meh wine selections on the drink package I may just do this next time.  I will definitely do this on a European cruise.  The wine package wines do not compare.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Officially the only time you can bring wine onboard is embarkation day.  Practically speaking it can vary from port to port.  Sometimes security looks the other way, mostly in foreign ports.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Officially the only time you can bring wine onboard is embarkation day.  Practically speaking it can vary from port to port.  Sometimes security looks the other way, mostly in foreign ports.  

Jelayne, have you been on a cruise specifically labeled by Celebrity as a Wine Cruise and not been allowed to keep wine purchased on a shore excursion?

I am on such a cruise in Australia and agree with NMTraveller that the wine available onboard recently is poor.

We just returned from 22 days on the Edge in Aus/NZ.  We did both private and ship wine excursions in NZ and brought back bottles of wine onboard from both. We had them in my back pack and put them through the security scanner. They were checked by security and once they saw they were wine they let us keep them to take back to our cabin. I took a bottle to Luminae and since we had a drinks package we were not charged any corkage fee as well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tudy said:

Jelayne, have you been on a cruise specifically labeled by Celebrity as a Wine Cruise and not been allowed to keep wine purchased on a shore excursion?

I am on such a cruise in Australia and agree with NMTraveller that the wine available onboard recently is poor.

To me the titles are marketing fluff.  Did one in Italy that was ________ and wine.   Also have done cruises in Europe and South America, and while not labeled wine cruises had stops in wine regions and ships offered winery tours.    
We  have bought wine on a tour in these area but  then just 1 or 2 bottles  which we usually give to our sommelier.  We have been allowed to bring most of it to our cabin.  But on 2 occasions we were stopped.  One they let us take to our cabin since there were only 1 days left, the other they held till the last afternoon when they delivered it.  

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Many years ago I was on Constellation for what was called an "Extensive Wine and Food Cruise" out of Southampton - covering France, Spain and Portugal.

We were allowed to bring on board two bottles of local wine from each of our ports of call for consumption on board including MDR without corkage.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

I have never had wine confiscated when boarding at a port. Never hidden it. Would have been happy to surrender until the last evening, as bought to bring home, but it’s just been waved through. Experience of this in European and US ports with scanners staffed by the terminal and also Celenrity. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I remember on one cruise, the passenger in font of me at security post shore trip had his bottle of something inspected by the security lady. She asked what it was, the passenger replied (and I cannot remember what he said). The security lady turned to her colleagues and asked 'do we sell this in any of the bars'  and when she got the answer 'no' she handed the bottle back to the passenger.

Whether that is the determining criterion I don't know but it's not unreasonable.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

If there were method in place to check if passengers bought premium beverage package when boarding initially, what difference does it make if you bring 2, 4, 6 bottles when checking in?  This also applies to during the cruise.  Some of these people will be drinking less of cruise drinks.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rinshin said:

If there were method in place to check if passengers bought premium beverage package when boarding initially, what difference does it make if you bring 2, 4, 6 bottles when checking in?  This also applies to during the cruise.  Some of these people will be drinking less of cruise drinks.  

With the reduction of decent wine without a upcharge even with the package some will pay a up charge on each glass or buy a bottle on the ship.  More revenue for X if they limit what you bring on yourself.

• Like 1