Do I need to purchase a WiFi package?

eeden1

First time cruiser here.  My husband and I are cruising on the Celebrity Ascent in April to the Mediterranean, Spain, France and Italy and I was wondering if I needed to purchase the WiFi package.  There is a sale going on right now so if I do need to purchase it I'd like to go ahead and get it.  Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, eeden1 said:

First time cruiser here.  My husband and I are cruising on the Celebrity Ascent in April to the Mediterranean, Spain, France and Italy and I was wondering if I needed to purchase the WiFi package.  There is a sale going on right now so if I do need to purchase it I'd like to go ahead and get it.  Thanks!!

Unless your fare already includes wi-fi,  your choice about purchasing the package will depend upon whether you can exist without being continually “connected” while on board.  If you can limit your use to just a few minutes now and then, you can save money by paying by the minute rather than buying the package.  Of course in most ports there are cafes, etc. which provide free wi-fi to customers, so you could periodically get in touch.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's on sale purchase it and keep checking prices. Personally, we never sail with out it but we like to be able to keep in touch (text/email) with our family and we bring our Firestick to watch movies. Just a personal choice...you may feel differently.

• Thanks 1

Not sure how anyone could tell you whether or not you would NEED a wifi package.  I'm assuming you booked a cruise only fare and not the all included fare. Do you think you would need or want to use wifi while on board the ship? Then you need to get the package. I don't believe Celebrity sells wifi by the minute or day any longer, but I could be wrong. As noted above, if your needs are minor, you may be able to get by with free wifi in your ports at restaurants and bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mom says said:

Not sure how anyone could tell you whether or not you would NEED a wifi package.  I'm assuming you booked a cruise only fare and not the all included fare. Do you think you would need or want to use wifi while on board the ship? Then you need to get the package. I don't believe Celebrity sells wifi by the minute or day any longer, but I could be wrong. As noted above, if your needs are minor, you may be able to get by with free wifi in your ports at restaurants and bars.

I guess when I say "need" it is because I saw that the rooms are smart rooms and run off your sea pass and I wasn't sure how that worked if you didn't purchase the Wifi.  Also I wasn't sure how the app itself worked if you didn't have some kind of internet connection.  I'm not as concerned about being online.  I just want to make sure I can access what I "need" to access while onboard especially on sea days.  Thanks again!

41 minutes ago, eeden1 said:

Also I wasn't sure how the app itself worked if you didn't have some kind of internet connection. 

The app will work without purchasing WIFI. You will connect for free to the internal WIFI. What you can't connect to is the outside world. No email, not, world wide web, no social media without purchasing a WiFi package. . 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 2

Without the wifi you’ll still be able to message your husband through the app.my first cruise was celebrity and I loved NOT having wifi. In Europe I always get an eSIM which I use in port for any data needs I have. 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:00 PM, eeden1 said:

I guess when I say "need" it is because I saw that the rooms are smart rooms and run off your sea pass and I wasn't sure how that worked if you didn't purchase the Wifi.  Also I wasn't sure how the app itself worked if you didn't have some kind of internet connection.  I'm not as concerned about being online.  I just want to make sure I can access what I "need" to access while onboard especially on sea days.

Your SeaPass is a smart card that doesn't rely on WiFi at all. (I think it's an NFC card.) It will open your cabin door, authorize you to leave/board the ship, authorize drink and food purchases, etc.

Celebrity's app connects for free to the ship's WiFi and will function for those without a WiFi plan per Celebrity -- but the app itself only offers info about your cruise, such as ship maps, restaurant and bar hours, onboard event times/locations, etc. Yes, you can make reservations via the app, but you can also do that in several other ways since you're onboard. And yes, you can "message" someone you're traveling with, but trust me, it's functionality is disappointing and not what mobile-phone users expect.

I only offer this because you're wondering above exactly what we did when we first cruised a few years ago on Celebrity. I hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful time!

cjr

• Thanks 1