Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

After my mammoth wait to speak to P&O today on other business I'm told the delay is due to a massive amount of calls about these flights together with a system failure for seat booking and payments.  No idea if was true but I waited patiently for 2 hours 35 minutes before I go through!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

No court in the land would accept that argument.  

They may not, but there have been many many many court cases that have been brought to resolve the issue of the the value of items when sold as a package for a single consideration - and it certainly isn't as easy as you think - particularly in situations like this where one item is sold at the same price on its own or in combination with the other.

11 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Agreed

My issue is if I want to do an extra 2 weeks in Caribbean before flying back 

Ie 4 weeks on Arvia instead of 2 I don't seem to get any saving for not needing 2 return flights that are priced into the cruises

Do I?

But you should get both cruises with a 10% discount on a B2B, so that's a saving.

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is that the  standard discount for all B2B bookings?

No, you need to read the small print, 5 day cruises do not qualify, plus other selected options. It is only on select bookings which is fine if you always book select.

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's really strange you can't book cruise only without flight for P and O isn't it?

At a worthwhile cheaper price?

What's the thinking?

As you are constantly saying they are much cheaper than anyone else so really no need. They have to make some money!

• Like 2

Disappointed to lose Premium Economy option when it was promoted at purchase. 8 and half hours to Antigua with no entertainment either is poor. Why leave the flight notification so late as it encroaches on cancellation costs for customers. An £818 refund for premium economy is a poor substitute for lesser standard seats and the good will gesture of £75 each to add to on board spend is an insult from P and O. 
It’s our first ever cruise and may be our last with P and O.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 9265359 said:

They may not, but there have been many many many court cases that have been brought to resolve the issue of the the value of items when sold as a package for a single consideration - and it certainly isn't as easy as you think - particularly in situations like this where one item is sold at the same price on its own or in combination with the other.

But you see they haven't changed the package.  The package is a cruise and a flight.  The PE was an extra option.  It's quite simple, the ships are too big and there aren't enough aircraft seats, particularly if one or two go unserviceable.

• Like 2

So like many others we have received this week's email advising that Maleth Aero is the airline and further detail will follow.  We just noted that some of our flight details are now updated to our account - eg.  flight number and time of departure. 

However, it doesn't yet tell us if North terminal or South terminal.  I am hoping that this will be confirmed soon as this week's email seems to suggest another email will follow shortly.  This detail would be useful to know sooner rather than later as we would like to book our overnight hotel for the night before our departure flight and the carpark.  I understand there is transport between the two terminals but would prefer to be in a hotel nearer to the terminal we will be flying from,

I don't suppose anyone has managed to find this out.  The Gatwick website doesn't list Maleth Aero. 

We have done a couple of P&O cruises before in Europe but this is our first Caribbean one and we don't feel it has been as smooth sailing (excuse the pun) getting the info.

32 minutes ago, Poppywillow said:

So like many others we have received this week's email advising that Maleth Aero is the airline and further detail will follow.  We just noted that some of our flight details are now updated to our account - eg.  flight number and time of departure. 

However, it doesn't yet tell us if North terminal or South terminal.  I am hoping that this will be confirmed soon as this week's email seems to suggest another email will follow shortly.  This detail would be useful to know sooner rather than later as we would like to book our overnight hotel for the night before our departure flight and the carpark.  I understand there is transport between the two terminals but would prefer to be in a hotel nearer to the terminal we will be flying from,

I don't suppose anyone has managed to find this out.  The Gatwick website doesn't list Maleth Aero. 

We have done a couple of P&O cruises before in Europe but this is our first Caribbean one and we don't feel it has been as smooth sailing (excuse the pun) getting the info.

Is your flight timed yet?  Normally the flights are all from the north terminal.  There are P&O staff in the area and they deal with both the charter flights, generally in the TUI area on the same level as departures.  I cannot envisage the P&O staff not dealing with their part of the process - they do the check on insurance, health etc before passing you in to luggage drop and check in.

We are on the second flight of the day and the check in opens separately for both flights.

Edited by Megabear2

We were booking for the Caribbean today for a February holiday so thankful for seeing this thread as it confirmed my decision about which day to fly out on.  We are now booked on a TUI flight and managed to get PE which was a surprise as I thought the availability for that would have long gone.

Our travel agent told us that she had been very busy over the last few days with people unhappy at this change to Maleth on some flights.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Poppywillow said:

We fly from Gatwick regularly. Although nice to know which terminal, the journey between the 2 is quite painless.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is your flight timed yet?  Normally the flights are all from the north terminal.  There are P&O staff in the area and they deal with both the charter flights, generally in the TUI area on the same level as departures.  I cannot envisage the P&O staff not dealing with their part of the process - they do the check on insurance, health etc before passing you in to luggage drop and check in.

We are on the second flight of the day and the check in opens separately for both flights.

It’s only in the Tui area when it’s a Tui flight. The check-in staff are provided by the airline. The staff walking the lines are usually P&O staff.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:52 PM, carlanthony24 said:

Not usual no. When Thomas Cook went bust I believe all passengers were moved to TUI I think. Much easier back then since the C was around. The UK really does not have much of a long haul charter market. Personally I would love to see Jet2 take ownership of some long haul flights and then things may improve but only really having TUI who are prepared to offer services for the cruise market while also undertaking the cruises for themselves same with Virgin it was bound to happen eventually. 

Who knows maybe next year when flights start being released. All done under TUI flights but being sub contracted a Maleth Airlines. 

We were moved to Virgin Atlantic - those of us who were with P&O had to stay on the plane until everyone else got off and then the buses came for us - it was excellent service.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It’s only in the Tui area when it’s a Tui flight. The check-in staff are provided by the airline. The staff walking the lines are usually P&O staff.

Assumedly then last year's Wamos flight was TUI in disguise.  We are normally second flight of the day and have always checked in North terminal even when it was Thomas Cook which is assumedly why we've always been North terminal.

I'm six foot four - if I want to go to the Caribbean I'll simply look elsewhere. I'm already uncomfortable on more generously pitched airlines, I would be stupid to pay to be miserable too. Awful decision from P&O, they're putting me off more and more by the day.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Joe_Cruises said:

I'm six foot four - if I want to go to the Caribbean I'll simply look elsewhere. I'm already uncomfortable on more generously pitched airlines, I would be stupid to pay to be miserable too. Awful decision from P&O, they're putting me off more and more by the day.

In fairness reading the trade papers they had little to no choice on this occasion.  The interesting thing will be what happens going forward.  Do they continue to provide charters or do they go the way of other lines and say well it's all too difficult to get the planes so we will sell you a flight to go with the cruise, putting the fare up by doing so.

Cunard used to offer flights with their transatlantic and fly cruises.  Not anymore you pay to add them on.

If the only planes available are with these secondary airlines and people don't want travel on them what would you have them do?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's really strange you can't book cruise only without flight for P and O isn't it?

At a worthwhile cheaper price?

What's the thinking?

I guess the charter numbers are based on all passengers taking the flights, and they therefore factor that into the cruise fare. As a result they would be flying with empty seats and  losing money if they reduce the price for anyone not using the chartered flight..

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

It's quite simple, the ships are too big and there aren't enough aircraft seats, particularly if one or two go unserviceable.

There are plenty of aircraft seats, they are just seats that some people don't want to sit in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poppywillow said:

I understand there is transport between the two terminals but would prefer to be in a hotel nearer to the terminal we will be flying from,

Personally I would pick the hotel you prefer whether it is north or south, as the monorail between the terminals only takes a few minutes - and when picking a hotel, I would recommend an 'on-airport' one as the hassle to get to the terminal from an off-airport hotel isn't worth it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Assumedly then last year's Wamos flight was TUI in disguise.  We are normally second flight of the day and have always checked in North terminal even when it was Thomas Cook which is assumedly why we've always been North terminal.

I thought the Tui charters were leaving from the South terminal with all other Tui flights.