Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

They would have made sure they have enough seats. No one would have been left behind.

That’s luck not planning.   You don’t plan not to sell 50 seats in case the plane has a technical issue.  So far we haven’t heard if people were moved to a Virgin flight or put off to today.  Think I would go home and come back today if I had been given an option.

Both Maleth aircraft have technical issues.   The Bridgetown flight isn’t due into Manchester until 15:00 then it has to fly to Antigua as the Manchester aircraft is still out of service.  That’s going to delay Arvia slightly tonight. 

Many years ago we were due to fly to fly to Barbados on a P&O charter with Thompson. We checked in at Gatwick no mention of any problem, eventually the board came up with delayed, after a further two hours we were told to go to the gate where we were informed that the new Dreamliner “had gone technical in Thailand” so plenty of notice and now they were getting a replacement but this had a different seating plan and so they were in the process of reissuing boarding passes. They had no data on who had paid P&O for what so just allocated and gave everyone a letter explaining the situation for if they wished to make a claim. We were all right as having the same surname they assumed we wished to sit together. On the flight the stewardess explained that the contract with P&O included the provision of a standby plane. I did not ask if the original plane was in Thailand why was the standby not substituted earlier, but maybe the contract allowed for several hours delay until an aircraft arrived from another fight.

Fast forward until after the pandemic, Airlines have vastly reduced their fleets and some have ceased trading. Something that P&O could not foresee when deciding to up capacity in the Caribbean a few years ago, then airline capacity was onwards and upwards. It’s been mentioned on CC that maybe airlines are now concentrating on their core business, scheduled flights and TUI etc ferrying their own customers to the holidays that they have sold. Is the P&O custom, a dozen or so long haul planes flying a couple of days a week for the season something that airlines even wish to tender for let alone give guarantees of service? The days of airlines providing a service to cruise lines probably at a loss because of the perceived prestige is long gone. Of course if the price is right and the airlines are paid for the downtime on the extra aircraft anything is possible. Interesting times ahead.

BOACCunard.jpg.72a26ac417899d9d3f2da5fed02c23bd.jpg

• Like 2

The last thing I heard yesterday before my flight left Barbados for Gatwick  was that passengers flying back to Manchester were going to be collected from the ship at 9pm. It was clear that the flight from Manchester to Barbados had not left at that point. There is a social media page for the cruise but no one has commented on the Manchester flight yet. People we met on board who had flown out with Maleth were very unhappy - the plane was filthy, and 3 hours late. They were told that the pilot was stuck in traffic but those who checked on google maps could not see any traffic problems within 40/50 mile radius.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Many years ago we were due to fly to fly to Barbados on a P&O charter with Thompson. We checked in at Gatwick no mention of any problem, eventually the board came up with delayed, after a further two hours we were told to go to the gate where we were informed that the new Dreamliner “had gone technical in Thailand” so plenty of notice and now they were getting a replacement but this had a different seating plan and so they were in the process of reissuing boarding passes. They had no data on who had paid P&O for what so just allocated and gave everyone a letter explaining the situation for if they wished to make a claim. We were all right as having the same surname they assumed we wished to sit together. On the flight the stewardess explained that the contract with P&O included the provision of a standby plane. I did not ask if the original plane was in Thailand why was the standby not substituted earlier, but maybe the contract allowed for several hours delay until an aircraft arrived from another fight.

Fast forward until after the pandemic, Airlines have vastly reduced their fleets and some have ceased trading. Something that P&O could not foresee when deciding to up capacity in the Caribbean a few years ago, then airline capacity was onwards and upwards. It’s been mentioned on CC that maybe airlines are now concentrating on their core business, scheduled flights and TUI etc ferrying their own customers to the holidays that they have sold. Is the P&O custom, a dozen or so long haul planes flying a couple of days a week for the season something that airlines even wish to tender for let alone give guarantees of service? The days of airlines providing a service to cruise lines probably at a loss because of the perceived prestige is long gone. Of course if the price is right and the airlines are paid for the downtime on the extra aircraft anything is possible. Interesting times ahead.

BOACCunard.jpg.72a26ac417899d9d3f2da5fed02c23bd.jpg

These were the boys to fly with, never let you down.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The 12.00 Maleth flight to Antigua is currently shown as boarding. The flight in is due 15.35 from Barbados. If this is correct another plane was supposedly available.

That’s rescheduled for 17:00 but with a provisional departure currently of 17:20 which is optimistic as the inbound aircraft 9H-EFS which is operating the Antigua service is still on its way into Manchester.  scheduled  arrival into Antigua 21:11.    The return flight from Antigua is scheduled for 01:50

My daughter and her family flew from Manchester to Barbados yesterday on a TUI flight, she  rang whilst sat on the plane saying some of the cabin staff did not turn up , not sure why maybe it was the weather but because of the staff shortage not all passengers were allowed to board the plane , the flight was delayed , as yet I have not been able to speak to her to find out if the delay was to try and get other staff so that the passengers could board which I hope was the reason .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LLOM said:

My daughter and her family flew from Manchester to Barbados yesterday on a TUI flight, she  rang whilst sat on the plane saying some of the cabin staff did not turn up , not sure why maybe it was the weather but because of the staff shortage not all passengers were allowed to board the plane , the flight was delayed , as yet I have not been able to speak to her to find out if the delay was to try and get other staff so that the passengers could board which I hope was the reason .

TUI following protocol. Normally one cabin crew for every 50 passengers. The delay would of been to find other crew.

3 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Must of got it fixed.

The normal Maleth A330 is 9H-MFS.   This landed in Manchester 6 days ago at 06:06 on Monday and hasn’t moved since.   It’s still needing maintenance. 

the Gatwick based aircraft 9H-BFS finally got off the ground today to Antigua with a 2 1/2 hr delay. 

2 minutes ago, cheshire said:

The normal Maleth A330 is 9H-MFS.   This landed in Manchester 6 days ago at 06:06 on Monday and hasn’t moved since.   It’s still needing maintenance. 

the Gatwick based aircraft 9H-BFS finally got off the ground today to Antigua with a 2 1/2 hr delay. 

Yep but the Manchester is already boarding so maybe they got BFS fixed it wouldn’t say boarding since EFS had not landed

21 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Yep but the Manchester is already boarding so maybe they got BFS fixed it wouldn’t say boarding since EFS had not landed

They haven’t.  It’s not boarding.   The schedule shows the inbound aircraft that’s just arrived 26 minutes ago as going to operate the Antigua flight.   Mcr airport website is notoriously inaccurate.  There are more accurate sources of data.  

12 minutes ago, Clodia said:

There is no way I will fly cruise now because of these issues though I've done so prior to the Great Lunacy. 

Considering the no fly itineraries to the Caribbean now.

We love the 35 night cruises to the Caribbean and US, great way to spend a few weeks in winter and no flights.

A Maleth update of sorts

Sat 2nd Dec Manchester to Antigua 0930’ish flight cancelled, replacement 1230’ish flight cancelled, now waiting for replacement plane from Barbados approx 5pm departure. 
Those currently on Arvia waiting to go back to Manchester are thoroughly P’d off. 

This is going to bite P&O in the bum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JungleJim42 said:

A Maleth update of sorts

Sat 2nd Dec Manchester to Antigua 0930’ish flight cancelled, replacement 1230’ish flight cancelled, now waiting for replacement plane from Barbados approx 5pm departure. 
Those currently on Arvia waiting to go back to Manchester are thoroughly P’d off. 

This is going to bite P&O in the bum. 

I would rather be waiting on Arvia to go back to Manchester

Than waiting in Manchester to go to Arvia

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I would rather be waiting on Arvia to go back to Manchester

Than waiting in Manchester to go to Arvia

They're scheduled back in at just before 2.00am.  I hope no one is relying on public transport in this weather.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They're scheduled back in at just before 2.00am.  I hope no one is relying on public transport in this weather.

Can  people claim?

I know 3 hour plus delays on normal flights lead to big flight refunds for flights normally

Does anything like that apply on fly cruises MB?

• Like 1

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Can  people claim?

I know 3 hour plus delays on normal flights lead to big flight refunds for flights normally

Does anything like that apply on fly cruises MB?

They can indeed. Unless they say its due to weather or something they could not control.

• Like 2