Binoculars

donaldsc

We are leaving soon on a Viking Search for Northern Lights cruise.  Supposedly they supply binoculars.  On most of the cruises I have gone on where they supply binocs they are just cheap crap and not worth having.  Does anyone know the exact make, model and specifications supplied by Viking on their aurora cruises.

DON

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Another subject that has been worked over pretty well (search "binoculars). Bottom line: If you want good binoculars bring some.

That is what I figured.  I actually went on an AK small ship cruise where they gave us good binocs which I priced at about $250 each.  Each room got 2 pair which is even more amazing.  They even had good quality spotting scopes scattered all over the ship.  So while you gave me the answer that I expected there are a few cruises where you would not have to bring your own.

DON

30 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

That is what I figured.  I actually went on an AK small ship cruise where they gave us good binocs which I priced at about $250 each.  Each room got 2 pair which is even more amazing.  They even had good quality spotting scopes scattered all over the ship.  So while you gave me the answer that I expected there are a few cruises where you would not have to bring your own.

DON

Indeed. But in regard to the cruise you are asking about ---------------------------

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We are leaving soon on a Viking Search for Northern Lights cruise.  Supposedly they supply binoculars.  On most of the cruises I have gone on where they supply binocs they are just cheap crap and not worth having.  Does anyone know the exact make, model and specifications supplied by Viking on their aurora cruises.

DON

Binoculars are supplied in every class of cabin except "V".  The quality of the binoculars improves with each cabin class.

Hi Don,

I am on your cruise.  I'm going to bring my own binoculars.

They always feel so heavy to me.  I thought for sure they weighed 5 pounds.   So last night I put them on the kitchen scale and found that they weigh 1.94 pounds.  That's not too bad, so into the suitcase they go!

Leslie

They are better than no binoculars, but not better than our relatively inexpensive and lightweight 'travel' binoculars. 

I've got some mini binoculars that were a TA freebie that are nearly as good as the Viking ones

10 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

They are better than no binoculars, but not better than our relatively inexpensive and lightweight 'travel' binoculars. 

I've got some mini binoculars that were a TA freebie that are nearly as good as the Viking ones

I would disagree with that.  If the image is blurred and the field of view is minimal the Viking binocs would be worse than useless since it turns a clear but distant object to a blurry and hard to find object.  Using the Viking binocs is like taping 2 toilet paper rolls together and putting some SaranWrap paper on the end to blur the image.

I will add and it should be obvious from my binoc comments on CC is that I am a bit of a snob with regard to anything optics.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I would disagree with that.  If the image is blurred and the field of view is minimal the Viking binocs would be worse than useless since it turns a clear but distant object to a blurry and hard to find object.  Using the Viking binocs is like taping 2 toilet paper rolls together and putting some SaranWrap paper on the end to blur the image.

I will add and it should be obvious from my binoc comments on CC is that I am a bit of a snob with regard to anything optics.

DON

Ah optics, is that a single sir or a double?