Itinerary for 5 nights in Rome?

9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Maps says it’s about 35 minutes from the airport to our hotel. Does that sound about right?

It can be if you are looking at it now when it is 11 pm in Rome. It can be closer to one hour in morning traffic. 

• Like 1

I always just use a taxi. There is a taxi stand RIGHT outside the terminal where you exit, it's often closer than where the private drivers can park, so it's actually more convenient....

Just be sure you get into the queue (if there is one) for the legitimate taxis. Don't let anyone grab your bags or try to lead you elsewhere. 

The fixed fare from the airport to anywhere inside the Rome city walls (including Albergo del Senato) is 50 euro total. No airport fee or luggage fee. 

Makes no sense to me to do it any other way. 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I always just use a taxi. There is a taxi stand RIGHT outside the terminal where you exit, it's often closer than where the private drivers can park, so it's actually more convenient....

Just be sure you get into the queue (if there is one) for the legitimate taxis. Don't let anyone grab your bags or try to lead you elsewhere. 

The fixed fare from the airport to anywhere inside the Rome city walls (including Albergo del Senato) is 50 euro total. No airport fee or luggage fee. 

Makes no sense to me to do it any other way. 😉

Sounds ok to me. I assume we will be able to tell the difference between the legitimate taxis and the scammers. 

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Sounds ok to me. I assume we will be able to tell the difference between the legitimate taxis and the scammers. 

There's a sign for taxis with a queue. Difficult to miss. The scammers don't get in the queue.

Most taxis (but not all) are white. There are various models, smaller and larger. But all should have the panel on the front passenger door identifying them, like the one pictured:

image.png.0966ad5ba7fe67f600fa7d023795ee37.png

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Unlike most places now, you can't count on it. I would plan to have cash just in case. 

RomeInLimo is quoting me €240 cash for 2 transfers(FCO-hotel, hotel-cruise port), and I’m not sure if the city tourist tax in Rome and Florence are cash or credit. I was hoping not to carry a lot of cash, but looks like that may not work.

Taxi at the airport looks like the best option. Hotel in Rome is a 20 minute walk to the train station. Still trying to decide if I want to take the train to the cruise port or use private transfer. 

All legitimate Rome taxis are required to have a point of sale (POS) for you to pay by credit card; however I’ve experienced “my POS is not working.”  Plus is you’re using American Express they make not accept. 

A good plan is to always ask before getting in is if they take a credit card. 

As for Rome to port my last two times I was charged $180, but that was for three people and a wheelchair. I’ve heard others paying as little as $120,  and others over $200. Shop around. Another excellent option is using SharedShuttle.  Will still pick you up at your hotel and drop you ship side.  www.sharedshuttle.it

Edited by Girr

1 minute ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

RomeInLimo is quoting me €240 cash for 2 transfers(FCO-hotel, hotel-cruise port), and I’m not sure if the city tourist tax in Rome and Florence are cash or credit. I was hoping not to carry a lot of cash, but looks like that may not work.

Taxi at the airport looks like the best option. Hotel in Rome is a 20 minute walk to the train station. Still trying to decide if I want to take the train to the cruise port or use private transfer. 

You can get a shared shuttle from your hotel to Civitavecchia, direct to your terminal for 80 to 90 euros for 2 people. The shared shuttles make 2-3 pickups in the same area so you're sharing a big mini-van essentially. It's sort of a middle route between the private transfer and taking the train.

Even if it's 90 euro, then 90 + 50 = 140; a lot cheaper than 240!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:27 AM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Another place to see is Ostia Antica outside Rome, it’s an old port city and the ruins are in great shape. It’s fun walking around. 

Ostia is indeed a wonderful option from Rome. Easy to get to using public transport (metro and train). I just watched this great video that can provide a quick intro as to what you can see at Ostia. 

People like to compare Ostia to Pompeii, but there are a lot if differences. Pompeii was preserved at a specific moment in time. Ostia was Rome's port city that sort of died off over time as the port silted up and the river's path changed. So you'll see a lot of the city isn't as well preserved at Pompeii, although there are AMAZING survivals of mosaics in particular, and the concrete and brick building structures give you an idea of the height and "bulk" of the buildings. 

One welcome difference is that Ostia is never very crowded (again you'll see this in the video link).

We’ve made more plans for Rome. Updates or additions are in blue. 

Day 1 - We’re staying at Albergo del Senato so thought we’d visit the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, walk around whatever is near our hotel and go out for a nice dinner Going to try to get dinner reservations at Armando Al Pantheon. 

Day 2 - We have a private tour of the Colosseum, forum and Palatine Hill 

Day 3 - Private tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel

Booking a Roman Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere Food Tour with Dinner with City Wonders for that evening. 

Day 4 - Thinking about doing a wine tour to Tuscany. Sounds nice to have a relaxing day after 2 days doing a lot of walking. 
Booking this with City Wonders as well. 

Day 5 - day trip to Florence or stay in Rome?  I’d love to visit Florence but are there any must sees in Rome we would have to miss to do this?  Also, isn’t Florence where they make the nice, leather bags?  I’d like to purchase a purse, belt, and perhaps gloves while we’re there.  
We decided to book a third tour with City Wonders, The Original Crypts, Catacombs & Roman Underground’s Tour. Just debating on morning or afternoon. I’m leaning toward afternoon assuming these sites would be a welcome relief from the hot afternoon heat. 

7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We decided to book a third tour with City Wonders, The Original Crypts, Catacombs & Roman Underground’s Tour. Just debating on morning or afternoon. I’m leaning toward afternoon assuming these sites would be a welcome relief from the hot afternoon heat. 

I read the description -- looks like a nice tour. Only odd thing is that they don't tell you which catacombs they're taking you to (there are many around Rome including 3 on the Appian Way...)

Been reading your posts as we are traveling in September.  We arrive on Wed morning and board the ship on Friday for a girls cruise.  Our plans are:

Arrival day - check into VRBO (on Via Labicana between the Colosseum and Termini), and use Metro to visit Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi, etc. 

Day 2 - Looking to book the Underground Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill tour with CoopCulture directly (hopefully), followed by lunch. 

Then it gets iffy - two of us have been there before and one of us hasn't.  I think it would be great for the 3rd friend to see St. Peter's Basilica but one isn't interested in seeing again (but she also is fine doing her own thing if we want to go).  We also want to see the Spanish Steps and Trevi at night. Since we'll be tired day one, that only leaves nighttime day 2 so we don't want to plan too much to do during the day on Day 2.  Thinking we may be able to do St. Peter's on Friday before we board the ship since we don't depart until 7 pm but the VRBO will want us out in the morning and not sure what to do with out bags (maybe the VRBO would hold them?). 

Was hoping to add a day or two post cruise but got an incredible prince on round-trip non-stop flights so we leave the day we come back on the cruise. 

@cruisemom42 - Is there a particular order you would visit the things we want to see on Day 1 (listed above)? We arrive at 9AM - hoping VRBO let's us drop bags off so we'll be leaving from Via Labicana.  Looks like the closest metro from our VRBO is Metro linea C - Fermata Amba Aradam-Ipponio - about a 10 minute walk.  I get so overwhelmed thinking about transportation but probably just the fear of the unknown and never doing it before. 

37 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Is there a particular order you would visit the things we want to see on Day 1 (listed above)? We arrive at 9AM - hoping VRBO let's us drop bags off so we'll be leaving from Via Labicana.  Looks like the closest metro from our VRBO is Metro linea C - Fermata Amba Aradam-Ipponio - about a 10 minute walk.

I'm a little confused by your description of the location of your VRBO. Via Labicana runs from the Colosseum to Termini (intersecting a bit below the station head) -- that part I get. But it looks to me like the Metro station at Manzoni should be closer to you if you are about "halfway"?

Also I don't think that the station you mention is scheduled to open until October 2024, unless that has changed. (It is on the portion of the new Line C that traverses the heart of ancient Rome and has been plagued with delays due to new archaeological discoveries every 10 feet!).  It will be renamed "Metronia".  Or at least that is the latest I've heard. Perhaps @euro cruiser knows more?

So if you could just confirm the details, I would be happy to look at how I'd arrange it.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm a little confused by your description of the location of your VRBO. Via Labicana runs from the Colosseum to Termini (intersecting a bit below the station head) -- that part I get. But it looks to me like the Metro station at Manzoni should be closer to you if you are about "halfway"?

Also I don't think that the station you mention is scheduled to open until October 2024, unless that has changed. (It is on the portion of the new Line C that traverses the heart of ancient Rome and has been plagued with delays due to new archaeological discoveries every 10 feet!).  It will be renamed "Metronia".  Or at least that is the latest I've heard. Perhaps @euro cruiser knows more?

So if you could just confirm the details, I would be happy to look at how I'd arrange it.

I confuse myself so not surprised I have confused you as well. Lol. I didn’t want to post the actual address of the VRBO but I did take a screen shot and will attach it for reference. 

You may very well be correct regarding the metro. All I did was google closest metro location while I had this pulled up and it listed that stop. Sorry for the confusion.  Also appears to be a 20 minute walk to termini - 

We were going to take the train to Termini from the airport but as you told @NCteacherlovescruising, no need to pay more if a taxi is approx 50eu (maybe more for 3 pax?). 

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

Edited by erby2283

Posted (edited)

Ok, yes, that's helpful. I do think the Manzoni Metro station (Line A) would be the best bet from your VRBO. A short walk, and you wouldn't have to change lines. It actually shows up on the first map you attached, it is the red "M" just above the "N" in Labicana.

Suggest you get on the Metro Line A (direction north, or toward Battistini (which is what the sign may say). 

Get off at the Spagna stop. (5th stop after you board). You will be right next to the Spanish steps. 

Make a Google map for yourself, using walking directions. From this point it's much simpler to walk and the distances aren't far. There is a well-traversed path by tourists from the Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain, and then to the Pantheon. I highly recommend that you plan to go inside the Pantheon. There are ticket machines on the left hand side if you're facing the front. They take cash. If the line to use these is long, there is a line for purchasing with credit card only that is closer to the entrance. I used it in November and was in within a couple of minutes, but if you're there in peak season you might look into pre-reserving a time.

After you see the Pantheon, you might consider looking for someplace to eat lunch in the area around the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, which should be your next stop -- it's just a few blocks away. 

I think that's probably a good plan for a first day, unless there are other sites on your "must see" list. 

To get back to your hotel, there is a somewhat "hidden" taxi rank right behind the northern end of Piazza Navona. It's shown here (pink box). The green arrow is where there is an opening you can walk through from the Piazza to reach the taxi stand. A standard taxi can take 3 people without baggage and it should only cost +/- 15 euros or so to get you back to your hotel. (Maybe a bit more as prices keep increasing, but still easy and convenient...)

image.thumb.png.9dc0522e9f90df35a3b99701e1026c80.png 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

One of the issues with relying on google maps is not knowing the terrain nor the territory.  It may only be three quarters of a mile (to the Lazio regional tracks, which is what you've shown on your map) but it's uphill and in parts there are no sidewalks, so it's not something to do with luggage.  Google maps says the route is "mostly flat", but that's the opinion of a robot simply measuring altitude change.  A human walking would know it's uphill, just not the kind of uphill that requires you to stop and catch your breath every couple of blocks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Not having to change Lines is a big plus for us.

Is it possible to take the Metro towards St. Peter's as well?

Yes, you would go back to the same station, get on the same A line, and go in the same direction. 

If you want to go to St. Peters, you should get off at the Ottaviano/"San Pietro" stop. 

If you want the Vatican museum, go one stop farther, to the Cipro/"Musei Vaticani" stop.

These are toward the end of the A line, so it will take a while to get there -- maybe 30 minutes?  Can't remember for sure, it's been awhile since I did it from that part of town, lol.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I read the description -- looks like a nice tour. Only odd thing is that they don't tell you which catacombs they're taking you to (there are many around Rome including 3 on the Appian Way...)

I didn’t realize that but I’m sure we’ll enjoy them wherever they take us. 

Any suggestions on things to see on our way back to our hotel day 2, following our tour?  We’re starting at the Colosseum. We plan to take a leisurely walk back, enjoying Rome, and lunch, along the way. 

Also, I understand the Vatican is far from where we’re staying. Should we plan to see Saint Peter’s Basilica while we are there?  Are they within walking distance?  Anything else we should do before heading back?  What’s the best mode of transportation there and back?

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I didn’t realize that but I’m sure we’ll enjoy them wherever they take us. 

Any suggestions on things to see on our way back to our hotel day 2, following our tour?  We’re starting at the Colosseum. We plan to take a leisurely walk back, enjoying Rome, and lunch, along the way. 

Also, I understand the Vatican is far from where we’re staying. Should we plan to see Saint Peter’s Basilica while we are there?  Are they within walking distance?  Anything else we should do before heading back?  What’s the best mode of transportation there and back?

St. Peter’s is a must and if you have time you should consider the Scavi tour and the Sistine Chapel.  There is an ancient Roman street and necropolis under the Basilica as well as St Peter’s tomb.  The Scavi tour must be booked in advance directly through the Excavations Office in advance and one must be appropriately attired.  The Scavi tour is the most fascinating thing I’ve ever done in Rome and I’m neither Catholic nor religious. It would also be a shame to be in Rome for 5 days and not see The Pieta.

Metro or taxi will work.

• Like 1

One other note, when using the metro in Rome you tell direction by the last stop on the line.  For example, when you get on Linea A and are headed to the Vatican, follow signs for Battistini, the last stop in that direction.

You can download and print the map of the metro, regional rail and tram lines in Rome here:  mappa ferro e tram (feb 2024) (atac.roma.it)

• Thanks 1