Any reason for fewer NCL cruises from NYC?

Red-Sol

56 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Brooklyn is the only cruise terminal with shore power and princess is the only cruise line that uses it. MSC ship does have shore power but there is compatibility issues with the ship and the shore power connection

They didn’t bring a European plug adaptor?

• Haha 11

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not as onerous as you make it out to be.

It doesn't require all cruise ships to run on shore power. First, the ship has to be capable of running on shore power and second, shore power has to be available. Manhattan Cruise Terminal doesn't have shore power capability and based on this article the EDC has set a 2028 target date for its availability...but knowing how slowly projects move in NYC that might be an optimistic timeline.https://w42st.com/post/cruise-ships-commit-to-shore-power-by-2028-promise-community-fund-amid-expansion-plans/

While new cruise ships are being built with shore power capability there's nothing requiring older ships to be retrofitted.

But as with most of the stuff coming from NYC, there is no way to fund any improvements to make this happen except for an increase in port taxes. Like with so many other businesses leaving NYC for greener pastures, I wouldn't be surprised to see more cruise lines going across the river to Bayonne.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

But as with most of the stuff coming from NYC, there is no way to fund any improvements to make this happen except for an increase in port taxes. Like with so many other businesses leaving NYC for greener pastures, I wouldn't be surprised to see more cruise lines going across the river to Bayonne.

Having only one berth Bayonne doesn't have the capacity to handle other cruise lines like NCL and Carnival that sail from New York essentially every week to 10 days.

Port taxes are passed on to the passengers, and an extra $5 or $10 or $25 isn't going to be noticed.

29 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

But as with most of the stuff coming from NYC, there is no way to fund any improvements to make this happen except for an increase in port taxes.

there is no direct link - none whatsoever - between the twenty million dollars required for this project and port fees. the EDC (economic development corporation) is not a city agency and is in fact a non-profit entity. the EDC is a mission-driven liaison, more or less, between other city agencies. it is funded with capital dollars and their budget (over a billion dollars this year) is awarded before most projects are even decided upon.

that being said, i can certainly see higher fees down the road in conjunction with improvements to the MCT itself and the addition of shore power, and i imagine cruise lines would think that is a fair exchange for improved facilities.

the $1 levy per passenger per cruise that passengers will most likely pay, although the fee could be absorbed by the cruise lines, will be set aside for a community fund, and will not go to any cruise-related infrastructure project.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:17 PM, shof515 said:

flying is getting expensive. The average price i pay for airfare to Florida for a one way flight is about 275-300ish, roundtrip is about 600 or higher. Thats almost about half of what i pay for a cruise

We've been able to score some very reasonable flights thru NCL BOGO promo NY>Fl. 

I agree.  I'm planning a girls cruise that has to out of ny because on person has a fear of flying.  There are no choices.  It's either Bermuda (which a few of us have already done), or Orlando,Nassau,  and GSC.  With is the one we chose.  Was similar  on all lines out of NY.

1 minute ago, ccc321 said:

It's either Bermuda (which a few of us have already done), or Orlando,Nassau,  and GSC.

there are transatlantic cruises out of new york several times a year on various ships, but you'd, of course, have to fly home.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

there are transatlantic cruises out of new york several times a year on various ships, but you'd, of course, have to fly home.

They could be fancy elegant folk and have Cunard bring them home...or to Europe. Not sure why'd they want Cunard, but hey, it's another option! Just not a good one.

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

Or take another cruise home.

Though if you waited for another repositioning cruise rather than take Cunard, you would have to spend a lot of time in Europe.

• Haha 1