Miami or Fort Lauderdale? Pros & Cons of where to fly in/stay overnight for Port Everglades embarkation

MacMadame

We're cruising out of Port Everglades next year and I'm looking into making hotel reservations and (possibly) booking our flights. It seems like Fort Lauderdale is pretty close to Miami so I'm wondering if there is any benefit to flying into Miami instead. Is it cheaper or easier to get transportation?

I'm also wondering about cruise line transfers. Should we book those and stay near the airport or just take a Lyft in the AM from a hotel near the port?

We would be flying in the day before from the West Coast, probably SFO but maybe Oakland or San Jose airport if that turns out to be cheaper or more convenient. So probably getting there in the evening and going to the port first thing in the AM. IOW, sightseeing is not on the schedule but a nice dinner at a local restaurant might be.

Air fare into MIA be be less expensive than into FLL but the additionalmtravel cost(s) associated with making your way to and from the cruise terminal, and the hassle, just don't add up in my opinion.

You'll probably be arriving in Florida later in the afternoon or in the evening; I'd say you'd be better off coming into FLL and getting a hotel for the night near Port Everglades.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You'll probably be arriving in Florida later in the afternoon or in the evening; I'd say you'd be better off coming into FLL and getting a hotel for the night near Port Everglades.

Totaly agree.. 

And FLL is so close to PE it's just so convenient when coming in late. 

OP if you want to make sure you can have a nice dinner when you land I would find a restaurant in the area of FLL and PE then book a hotel with easy access to the restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ilovesailaway said:

OP if you want to make sure you can have a nice dinner when you land I would find a restaurant in the area of FLL and PE then book a hotel with easy access to the restaurant.

Oh, that's a good idea!

I agree with the recommendation to fly into FLL. Look for hotels along 17th street near the port (Hyatt place, Embassy Suites,Holiday Inn express). All with shuttles from the airport. Plenty of restaurants plus a grocery store and a Toal Wine store for last minute items within walking distance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

If price is important to you, check and see if the shuttles are free or charge a per person price. 

As of April , 2023 Hyatt Place contracted out the airport shuttle service to a outfit called Avanti, and it is not free.

• Like 1

Hotels in January are going to be very expensive, Miami, or Ft. Lauderdale. My advice would be to look on Hotels.com in Ft. Lauderdale area, and be 8.0 rating or higher. Pick something you are OK with price wise. Call the hotel and see if they have shuttles. There are a few in Jan for around $200 a night. Almost all others will be $300 or more this time of year.

• Like 1

I would just do yourselves a favor and call the Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Ask for their pricing on airport shuttle and Port Everglades shuttle. And then whatever they say, book a room there! The basic classic room is perfectly fine. You will have as much fun there as your cruise itself. The location is perfect, the bar is great, the pool on the New River is wonderful as is the riverside walk. It also has a water taxi stop so you can take the taxi on a tour around Fort Lauderdale waters. We have stayed there on every one of our cruises. 

• Like 3