Sunscreen for the face

I have tried so many brands of sunscreen for the face that I end up not using more than once- an expensive venture! Lotion, spray, powder, mineral, non-mineral, tinted, non-tinted, lightweight,  the works.

In warm and hot weather, my face gets so hot and sweaty with sunscreen on. It feels like the film of lotion chokes off the skin and it cannot breathe. Like I have saran wrap on my face.  I get so uncomfortable that I have to wash it off. The rest of me is fine, just the face! Has anyone had this problem and solved it somehow? Do I need a layer of something under the sunscreen or would that just make it worse? I have taken to just wearing hats but I don't think that is enough protection. This is the only thing I don't like about Caribbean cruises!!

I find that the ones labeled as facial moisturizer with sunscreen feel better than those that are just sunscreen (coming from a redhead that has worn facial sunscreen almost every day for the last 30+ years, even at work indoors)

• Like 4

I also use La Roche-Posay spf 60 anti-shine both alone and under my make-up.

The tube says dry-touch gel-crèam for sensitive skin.  

I buy make-up with SPF.

I also use La-Roche Posay spf 60 face and body lotion all-in-one.  

It depends what is in stock and the best price or if there is a bonus but I always buy La Roche.   Once on I do not feel it on my face.  

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 2

I use the Paula's Choice "Youth Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 50" (stupid name, but great product.) It's light (truly fluid), melts into my skin, and despite being super-oily on my face, I forget that I'm wearing it. It's unscented (I'm super sensitive to scent), and works really well. During my Panama Canal cruise a month ago, I got a horrid sunburn on my back (areas that I couldn't apply sunscreen to, travelling solo), but my face stayed sunburn, even tan, free. 

I do know the feeling that you mean, though - one of the other PC sunscreens gives me that feeling. Sephora is now carrying some PC products (but not this one, I don't think), but PC does ship to Canada. 

11 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I use the Paula's Choice "Youth Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 50" (stupid name, but great product.) It's light (truly fluid), melts into my skin, and despite being super-oily on my face, I forget that I'm wearing it. It's unscented (I'm super sensitive to scent), and works really well. During my Panama Canal cruise a month ago, I got a horrid sunburn on my back (areas that I couldn't apply sunscreen to, travelling solo), but my face stayed sunburn, even tan, free. 

I do know the feeling that you mean, though - one of the other PC sunscreens gives me that feeling. Sephora is now carrying some PC products (but not this one, I don't think), but PC does ship to Canada. 

Thank you for this- I'm not familiar with that brand so I'll add it to the list of ones to try!

I had melanoma in-situ 20 years ago so am diligent about wearing sunscreen everyday, but hate the greasy feeling some of them give me, so I'm looking forward to trying some of the sunscreens y'all have recommended. However, I've been really happy lately with Sunday Riley Lighthearted SPF30. I always wore SPF50 until I learned that SPF30 blocks 97% of rays and 50 only blocks 2% more, or 99%. Thank you for the great recommendations!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, it looks like the Sunday Riley Light Hearted is no longer available, or isn't available in Canada - at least, I can't find it on the Sephora or the Sunday Riley websites. 😞

• Like 1

I really like the Shiseido ultimate sun protector SPF 50.  Doesn't take much and the bottle is small for easy reapplication during your beach day if needed.

I also have to recommend the Sydney hat by The Wallaroo Hat company.  She's rated SPF 30, looks great, packs like a dream (crushable), and doesn't lose shape in the water.  Mine has been to Las Vegas, Costa Rica, the pool, outdoor weddings, and back yard parties.  I love her, and she's coming to Greece!  

I have it in this color, and finally broke down and bought a second color because I'm a princess.  Available direct from TWH co, eBay and the other online megastore. 

sydney.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Sadly, it looks like the Sunday Riley Light Hearted is no longer available, or isn't available in Canada - at least, I can't find it on the Sephora or the Sunday Riley websites. 😞

Oh no, you're right, I can't find it, either. Hopefully, she'll come up with something just as good.

5 hours ago, TPgal said:

I really like the Shiseido ultimate sun protector SPF 50.  Doesn't take much and the bottle is small for easy reapplication during your beach day if needed.

I also have to recommend the Sydney hat by The Wallaroo Hat company.  She's rated SPF 30, looks great, packs like a dream (crushable), and doesn't lose shape in the water.  Mine has been to Las Vegas, Costa Rica, the pool, outdoor weddings, and back yard parties.  I love her, and she's coming to Greece!  

I have it in this color, and finally broke down and bought a second color because I'm a princess.  Available direct from TWH co, eBay and the other online megastore. 

sydney.JPG

I have 4 of this hat…I like colors

• Like 1

So far, I have ordered some Paula's Choice from the US and once it arrives, I'll have to wait for a warm enough day to arrive to test it out! I should be able to get LaRoche Posay locally, that's next on my list. Plus now I can add Shiseido to the list if necessary! It's been great to get some recommendations and I hope to be able to report back with some good updates! 

ps nice looking hat! I do have one I like but more is better! Also have some good sunglasses plus prescription ones.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

So far, I have ordered some Paula's Choice from the US and once it arrives, I'll have to wait for a warm enough day to arrive to test it out! I should be able to get LaRoche Posay locally, that's next on my list. Plus now I can add Shiseido to the list if necessary! It's been great to get some recommendations and I hope to be able to report back with some good updates! 

ps nice looking hat! I do have one I like but more is better! Also have some good sunglasses plus prescription ones.

Don’t wait for a warm day. I wear sunscreen every single day

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I second wearing sunscreen every day! I'll have to add the Shiseido sunscreen to my list - I do love their products. I have and love this Eric Javits Squishee Sun Hat with a bit wider brim. It also packs and travels well.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/eric-javits-hampton-squishee-sun-hat/3925979

Editing to add: Yikes, it did not cost that much when I purchased it five years ago, but I guess everything has gone up. I have seen them on ebay and Poshmark, too, which is probably the way I would go now.

Edited by NikiPinkston
Add
  • Like 1

Yes I agree about wearing sunscreen everyday! The difference for me is warm and hot temperatures. Right now we are still in winter, so I can wear any brand. But come summer, I'll be test running these new ones!!

• Like 1

I'm a "sunscreen every day" person, and my go to for my face is Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen. It has a nice velvety texture, and acts almost like a primer, because it dries semi-matte. It also doesn't really run or bother my eyes, if my face does get sweaty. I love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aprilcruisers said:

Sun Bum Original SPF 50 Face Sunscreen Lotion | Vegan and Hawaii 104 Reef Act Compliant (Octinoxate & Oxybenzone Free) Broad Spectrum Fragrance-Free Moisturizing UVA/UVB, with Vitamin E|I've used this for years.  Don't feel it and not greasy th

e way most feel. 

Can you tell me if this one tends to leave a pale/whitish cast on your face, especially in photos? I *do* very much like the Sun Bum body sunscreens, but I can't stand it when my face looks like I've seen a ghost in my vacation pictures 😂

Further to my previous post, I use Sun Bum face and body when a location such as Hawaii calls for “reef friendly” sun screen.  It is indeed a good product but I prefer LaRoche otherwise.  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 6:15 PM, rustysunshine said:

Can you tell me if this one tends to leave a pale/whitish cast on your face, especially in photos? I *do* very much like the Sun Bum body sunscreens, but I can't stand it when my face looks like I've seen a ghost in my vacation pictures 😂

No. No whitish cast. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have used CeraVe but one approach I also take is using a face powder makeup that has SPF and also foundations that have SPF. It seems to work pretty well I haven't burned on my face yet. I do bring the powder with me and just keep dusting myself with it periodically. When I'm using is physicians formula.

I don't swim in the face makeup, so if you're going on a beach excursion or if you plan to be in the pool that probably wouldn't work. Also doubt it would be friendly.

Edited by oyme
  • Thanks 1

Take a look at the powder sunscreens.  They are lovely for the face and anywhere else you would like to use them.  Supergoop has a mineral 50 finishing powder that is my current go to.

• Thanks 1