Ketchikan shuttle from Ward Cove

Hooley

I understand that there is a shuttle from Ward Cove to Ketchikan.  How often does it run and is there a cost?  We're taking a private excursion that starts and ends at the dock in Ward Cove.  We'd like to be dropped off in town.  Is it easy to take the ship's shuttle back to Ward Cove?  Thanks.

It's completely free.  When I was there in July the shuttles into and from town were running nonstop (to/from Berth 3).  Your only wait time will be waiting your turn, as the line can get a little long at varying times during the day.

The shuttles constantly run. They fill them up and leave and come back from town. The last shuttle from town is usually 2 hours before ship departs. So if the ship is leaving at 1 pm the last shuttle from town is 11 am. 

I read somewhere that there's a shuttle from Berth 3 to the main part of town. Can anyone confirm that? DH has a back issue that sometimes makes it uncomfortable for him to do a lot of walking. 

Here’s a thread over on the Alaska forum with lots of details and information. You might want to also check the ship schedule to see if another ship will be docked with you at Ward Cove. NCL as well as some of the NCL Holdings ships use that one pier. 

Edited by dmwnc1959

1 hour ago, Hooley said:

I understand that there is a shuttle from Ward Cove to Ketchikan.  How often does it run and is there a cost?  We're taking a private excursion that starts and ends at the dock in Ward Cove.  We'd like to be dropped off in town.  Is it easy to take the ship's shuttle back to Ward Cove?  Thanks.

Here’s an interesting video from YouTube showing the port facilities at Ward Cove as they were last summer. You can see toward the end of this four minute video that the shuttles are often full-sized motor coaches or school buses.

Question for those who have been recently (we were on very first Encore trip to Alaska when they used Ward cove as a dock and it was a DISASTER!!!!!).  We are platinum/sapphire so supposedly have priority disembarkation. Will we have time to take first of the shuttles into town, walk around for 30 minutes or so and make it back for a 9:00 shore excursion that leaves from Ward Cove? Want my daughter to at least get a chance to see Creek Street.

14 minutes ago, kimandtim said:

Question for those who have been recently (we were on very first Encore trip to Alaska when they used Ward cove as a dock and it was a DISASTER!!!!!).  We are platinum/sapphire so supposedly have priority disembarkation. Will we have time to take first of the shuttles into town, walk around for 30 minutes or so and make it back for a 9:00 shore excursion that leaves from Ward Cove? Want my daughter to at least get a chance to see Creek Street.

The "Priority" disembarkation for Platinum etc.... is bogus. Suite and Haven cabins get off first

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kimandtim said:

So if we are near first of line after Haven, etc., do we have a chance to make it to town and back or would we be at risk of missing our shore excursion?

No priority getting off and getting a shuttle.  It’s about 20-30 minutes each way to town. If you are arriving at 6am you might have time.  Most people don’t get off that early.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hooley said:

Our departure time is at 4:00pm.  Any idea when the last NCL shuttle would leave downtown for Ward Cove?

It looks like in 2024 it will be 90 minutes before departure, so the last shuttle would be 2:30 https://wardcoveak.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/2024-Ward-Cove-Port-Schedule-w-Shuttle-8.29.23.pdf