Florence to Civitavecchia

stpointer

"Best" in what way? 

There are many threads here on train travel...that is certainly one way. A private transfer is possible,  but expensive. Renting a car is another option, with some logistical requirements that can be easily overcome. 

I doubt anyone has done them all to compare.

Yes, "best" is a value judgement that depends on what is important to you for this decision.  A private car service would be the most convenient but also the most expensive.

At the other end of the cost and convenience spectrum would be the train, which requires a change at Rome (or a longer route with a change at Pisa).

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, stpointer said:

I was hoping I could take a train direct to the port…without connecting.

You could do that if you are prepared to base yourselves somehere like Pisa instead of Florence.(or anywhere else with a direct rail connection to Civi)

And accommodation and restaurant  prices are probably lower in Pisa than they are in  Florence, and Pisa could be a lot less crowded than Florence.

If you were to choose a hotel close to Pisa train station, it would be an easy enough commute to and back from Florence each day and visiting hidden gem Lucca for a day would also be easy.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, stpointer said:

Thank you for your suggestion Edinburgher.   I’ll have to explore this option!

May or may not be worth it to you, but worthy of consideration before dismissing the idea.

I would also suggest you could rent a car and spend the night before closer to Civitavecchia.  We have enjoyed Viterbo and Orvieto both,  and they are just over an hours drive from the port.  Both are interesting places to stay and explore.  

My only concern with trains is potential strikes, so have a back up plan just in case. .