Are balcony walls over bed/couch metal?

I could not get magnets to stick on the walls and we were in PH’s on both Vista cruises. I found the front door to be the best for placing magnetic clips. 
Mauibabes

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I could not get magnets to stick on the walls and we were in PH’s on both Vista cruises. I found the front door to be the best for placing magnetic clips. 
Mauibabes

That's disappointing since extra storage is SO very important when you're on the ship for 6 months.  I believe you can still hang hooks on the ceiling, but I'll need to verify that.

17 minutes ago, Travel Lady in CT said:

That's disappointing since extra storage is SO very important when you're on the ship for 6 months.  I believe you can still hang hooks on the ceiling, but I'll need to verify that.

We were in a concierge verandah and had no problem with magnetic clips on walls....used them on wall around mirror over desk to hold all kinds of papers.  Also had them on the wall by the door to hold hats, etc.  Perhaps different layouts so more metal walls....

59 minutes ago, basor said:

We were in a concierge verandah and had no problem with magnetic clips on walls....used them on wall around mirror over desk to hold all kinds of papers.  Also had them on the wall by the door to hold hats, etc.  Perhaps different layouts so more metal walls....

I'm confused by that patterned area above the bolsters.  Not sure if it's metal.

I guess I better stick to shorter cruises. If I had to come back to my stateroom with the walls covered with stuff and clothes hanging from the ceiling not sure I would find this to be a calm or relaxing experience, which for me is what it is ultimately all about.  So now I guess I need to figure out the maximum days before this would all come into play.  More planning!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Travel Lady in CT said:

I'm confused by that patterned area above the bolsters.  Not sure if it's metal.

I can't tell you as we use the area around the mirror to keep papers using metal clips so important papers don't get lost.  Also, use area by door for our hats, etc.  Never tried or needed to hang anything on the wall behind the bed.  Perhaps someone currently onboard Vista can answer your question.  What type of cabin are you looking at for the cruise?   We felt our A1 cabin ( same layout as all verandah cabins) would easily handle us for an ATW cruise...lots of drawer and counter top storage area in the bathroom too..

23 minutes ago, basor said:

I can't tell you as we use the area around the mirror to keep papers using metal clips so important papers don't get lost.  Also, use area by door for our hats, etc.  Never tried or needed to hang anything on the wall behind the bed.  Perhaps someone currently onboard Vista can answer your question.  What type of cabin are you looking at for the cruise?   We felt our A1 cabin ( same layout as all verandah cabins) would easily handle us for an ATW cruise...lots of drawer and counter top storage area in the bathroom too..

B1 or B2.

On Vista in January.  It's correct that you can't use magnets on the walls where the bed is.  We did find the door and the exterior of the bathroom walls were metal, so that is where we posted our schedules, etc.

• Like 1

We also noticed that the newly renovated Riviera has the same "issue" -- only thing I found that was magnetized was the hall door (maybe the bathroom, too --- don't remember). I loved what my magnets let me do on the walls. I was able to make most of it work on the door -- shore excursion tickets, that day's Currents, restaurant reservations, other reservations. Still missed the old version.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 12:29 PM, Travel Lady in CT said:

We have used this:

Amazon.com: MAX Houser 6 Tier Shelf Hanging Closet Organizer, Closet Hanging Shelf with 2 Sturdy Hooks for Storage, Foldable (Grey) : Home & Kitchen

We attach the hooks to two very strong magnetic hooks stuck to the ceiling.  It will fold up and fit inside your luggage.

Shelf Unit.jpg

Edited by Daniel A
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

We have used this:

Amazon.com: MAX Houser 6 Tier Shelf Hanging Closet Organizer, Closet Hanging Shelf with 2 Sturdy Hooks for Storage, Foldable (Grey) : Home & Kitchen

We attach the hooks to two very strong magnetic hooks stuck to the ceiling.  It will fold up and fit inside your luggage.

Shelf Unit.jpg

We used the same thing for the ATW on Insignia where storage for 6 months was a premium. We also used heavy duty magnets to hold our jackets on hangers from the ceiling over the back of the couch.

Edited by grmmybtty
Error on name of ship
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, grmmybtty said:

We used the same thing for the ATW on Insignia where storage for 6 months was a premium. We also used heavy duty magnets to hold our jackets on hangers from the ceiling over the back of the couch.

Would magnets stick to the walls on Insignia or just the ceiling?

Never done a World Cruise but I do understand the need for more space. I just can’t imagine hanging  clothes on doors or from ceilings! I wouldn’t do that at home and as they say “ why would you take a holiday in a bedroom that was worse than your bedroom at home”?

We hung magnets on the wall where the TV was on the Insignia..  We hung coats there and did not find them in the way.  We also left a suitcase under the bed that we used as extra storage space.  It worked for leaving the hot weather clothes in while we were in cold climates, and leaving the cold weather clothes in when we were in hot climates.  We used packing cubes in the drawers so that nothing went over the back end of the drawer and it kept things neater for us.

• Like 2