Should RCCL have more accessible cabins?

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We have been on several RCL cruises over the past year where the room steward who had responsibility for the cabin of a passenger with a scooter would "pick up" the scooter every evening, move it out of the passageway, plug it in overnight, and return it to the cabin the next morning. 

The competing cruise line must not want to do this.

What do you think?

Saving staff labor hours or trying to create a need to 'register scooters' and get an extra fee to do what you observed?

44 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The competing cruise line must not want to do this.

What do you think?

Saving staff labor hours or trying to create a need to 'register scooters' and get an extra fee to do what you observed?

Why tiptoe around lol?  It's Carnival that announced yesterday the change to scooter policy.

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I beleive Carnival has just started limiting the size of scooters allowed on board as some of these can be the size of small SUVs.

It has nothing to do with the size of the scooter.  It has to do whether said scooter will fit inside the cabin or not.  Sometimes stuff happens and after a reservation of a regular cabin has been made those occupants may need to rent a scooter.  They do so without knowing that the scooter will not fit in the doorway so they leave the scooter in the hallway, which is technically a fire hazard. 

Have seen scooters parked in the hallways all of the time on every mass market line we sail on.  Glad to hear that Carnival is finally enforcing the rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Overall, I have not noticed scooters outside of cabins on Royal.

Just because you don't see any scooters in the hallway of your deck in between the elevator bank and where your cabin is located doesn't mean that there aren't any scooters illegally parked in the hallway of other decks on your cruise. 

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

We have been on several RCL cruises over the past year where the room steward who had responsibility for the cabin of a passenger with a scooter would "pick up" the scooter every evening, move it out of the passageway, plug it in overnight, and return it to the cabin the next morning. 

When the steward returned the scooter the following morning, where did he leave the scooter?  Can't put it inside the cabin since the scooter won't fit.  Can't leave it in the hallway, since that's a fire hazard.

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

When the steward returned the scooter the following morning, where did he leave the scooter?  Can't put it inside the cabin since the scooter won't fit.  Can't leave it in the hallway, since that's a fire hazard.

I presume he doesn’t bring the scooter until the person in the cabin lets him know he’s ready for it.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, mets123 said:

Cruises from Bayonne were released last month for April 25 - Feb 26. I booked accessible balconies for 6 different dates. Less than a month later, there are no more available on three of them. I fully agree with you. Unfortunately, there are people who book them for the size, and don't really need them. Don't flame me on this comment, I can't tell you how many times I see two normal walking people walking out of a handicap room.

I’m sure that’s true. Do you have to provide anything to prove you need one? I would be surprised and if not they will get scooped up quick.  

Years ago (BC) we took a cruise to Greece and I had an awful OV room because I booked late, so I did a royal up to a balcony and they gave us an accessible cabin. The cabin next to us was the same and the occupants also had won a royal up.  I was surprised of the size of the room! It was as big as a JS!

We were a bit uncomfortable in that we felt that someone may have needed it and didn’t get it, so my question is, if you wanted an accessible cabin and none are available and one opened up later would they give it to you first?  Like is there a waiting list for you?

11 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Again, I have been on many Royal cruises and have never encountered a scooter blocking my passageway.

Somehow they are handling this issue well because I would complain if I could.

😁

We once saw someone leave their wheelchair open and it blocked the hallway, and after a couple of days the room steward (or someone else) would close it each night. I don’t think it was an accessible cabin.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cruisingjandb said:

We have a very hard time finding a handicap room, even on some cruises a year out. Because of both our health conditions. We hate to book more than 6 months out. They need to have more on the ships as a lot of the market is aging.

Yeah unfortunately people like me book up to 500+ days out, lot more Passengers needing these Handicapped Cabins then the few available especially on the older/smaller Ships. Though have noticed as Sailing Date gets close some people Cancel and at times a few will open back up. 20yrs ago was common for Royal to assign Guarantee Bookings these Cabins as wasnt as many needing these, but as population gets older and more using scooters. Back couple decades ago many people just wouldn't Cruise. I remember when I started most my Caribbean Stops were Tender Ports where using a scooter wouldnt been possible 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Again, I have been on many Royal cruises and have never encountered a scooter blocking my passageway.

Somehow they are handling this issue well because I would complain if I could.

😁

It's just the opposite with us. We always cruise out of Cape Liberty and on most cruises we see scooters, walkers, and even baby strollers in the hallway. I guess it's up to the Hotel Manager how much they enforce the rules.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

A small aside.

These rooms might be getting more needed if Royal follows the new trend of a competitor cruise line.

The competitor is now measuring the size of mobility scooters upon embarkation. If they cannot be moved and stored in the assigned cabin, the guest are being offered a full refund for all of their cruise purchases and being denied boarding while they are at the cruise terminal.

The line is sending emails specifically about this policy enforcement to passengers.

Not sure if the travel and hotel expenses are covered.

One reason is the safety issue of having passageways blocked during normal usage and emergency usage.

This has been discussed on CC on other threads to include passengers placing dishes and other items for pick-up by crew.

Another thing to plan for as we cruise.

love it!