Just wondering about Riviera September 2024.

Vallesan

Posted (edited)

We have a cruise booked from Athens on the Riviera 28th September 2024. She arrives in Athens on the 21st but there is no cruise for that week.

She departs Athens on the 28th.

Just wondering if anybody has any information as to why there is a week between cruises. Dry dock? Charter?

Edited by Vallesan

Just now, Vallesan said:

We have a cruise booked from Athens on the Riviera 28th September 2024. She arrives in Athens on the 21st but there is no cruise for that week.

She departs Athens on the 28th.

Just wondering I’d anybody has any information as to why there is a week between cruises. Dry dock? Charter?

Assume a charter - she just was in dry dock and they take much longer than 7 days

1 minute ago, basor said:

Assume a charter - she just was in dry dock and they take much longer than 7 days

That’s my guess too. Just hoping she’s properly re-stocked and cleaned!!!

Pulled out the 2024 Collection of Voyages. From Aug 2023. For RIVIERA:

Aug 25 Rome to Monte Carlo 10 days

Sep 4 Monte Carlo to Barcelona 7 days

Sep 11 Barcelona to Athens 10 days

-------------------- GAP

Oct 15 Athens to Venice 10 days

Oct 25 Venice to Rome 10 days

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Pulled out the 2024 Collection of Voyages. From Aug 2023. For RIVIERA:

Aug 25 Rome to Monte Carlo 10 days

Sep 4 Monte Carlo to Barcelona 7 days

Sep 11 Barcelona to Athens 10 days

-------------------- GAP

Oct 15 Athens to Venice 10 days

Oct 25 Venice to Rome 10 days

Not sure what you’re saying?

Pretty simple, there was a GAP in the Aug 2023 published 2024 Collection of Voyages. Appears O filled part of it with your 28th September cruise. Which was NOT in that 2023 publication. Nothing still shows anywhere for anything on September 21st.

1 hour ago, taiwan_girl said:

Just curious.  Who (or what) would charter such a large boat?  Would it be something like a corporate cruise or one for travel agents?

On a new ship it could be travel agents, as they show off the new ship.  On Riviera, it is likely an LGBTQ group. 

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

I think I’m sorry I asked the question now!!!!

No kidding! We were on the Regatta in French Polynesia a couple of years ago that immediately followed a similar charter. It was a bit unsettling thinking about it. I’m going to say the crew got an eyeful. 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weird, a topless woman on a beach at St. Bart's doesn't cause the end of the world, but a topless woman on an O cruise ship does? Odd how a tiny bikini makes all the difference. More power to the nudists if they've got the numbers to charter the ship. The nudist colonies and resorts, like bowling alleys, have struggled in the USA.

The more fascinating issue is...do they change any policies in regard to cellphones? They say the rise of cellphones that can take immediately take and store high quality photographs has hurt the nudist business.

Cellphones have indeed become contentious objects. It’s now considered rude to take any pictures of any items, or any people, at private functions without the host expressed consent. Same with taking pictures of people without their consent. Of course though, there are a lot of rude people. 

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Weird, a topless woman on a beach at St. Bart's doesn't cause the end of the world, but a topless woman on an O cruise ship does? Odd how a tiny bikini makes all the difference. More power to the nudists if they've got the numbers to charter the ship. The nudist colonies and resorts, like bowling alleys, have struggled in the USA.

The more fascinating issue is...do they change any policies in regard to cellphones? They say the rise of cellphones that can take immediately take and store high quality photographs has hurt the nudist business.

The cruise we followed was a swingers’ cruise, so perhaps more than just topless women. And, gee, what about the bottomless men??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Perhaps you should read the link to the description of the cruise and what this particular cruise agency touts on their cruise.....more than a topless women or bottomless man!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In case any of you are worried that you missed out on this cruise, no worries, as per their site it would appear they have two more scheduled on Oceania. Of course, I was just checking this out for a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, basor said:

Perhaps you should read the link to the description of the cruise and what this particular cruise agency touts on their cruise.....more than a topless women or bottomless man!

Uh, I’m thinking most best not read it!!! 🤣

2 minutes ago, durberville said:

Whatever floats your boat…err ship.  My only concern following said cruise would be unclothed skin on furniture - cuz “eww”!. Surely they must sit in towels?? 😬

Even if ‘they’  don’t I will!!

• Like 1

The only thing more fascinating is...that with all the complaints about noise from one room crossing into another on Vista recently, no mention of anyone complaining about couples getting jiggly. Reminds me of the old classic dinner theatre play, so I'll update the title, "No sex please, we're on Oceania."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, durberville said:

Whatever floats your boat…err ship.  My only concern following said cruise would be unclothed skin on furniture - cuz “eww”!. Surely they must sit in towels?? 😬

HOUSE RULES

So that all guests may fully enjoy the Desire Experience, Desire Cruises is committed to providing safe voyages. We ask you to respect the following guidelines throughout the cruise:

• For the comfort of all guests, we ask that you use appropriate attire in all restaurants and other public areas that are not clearly marked as clothing optional.
  • Keeping the identity of our guests private is extremely important to us. For this reason, taking photos or videos in any of our ship’s clothing-optional areas or in the playroom is strictly prohibited. Taking photos is permitted in all other areas, just as long as you respect the other guests.
  • Like 2

We were on a Celebrity cruise right before this charter a few years ago. They were setting up "playrooms" in the conference center and one of the outdoor areas. Beds were all around the walls in the conference center and outdoors it was all outdoor lounger beds. We asked a crew member about it - they said the staff has the option of not being in the public areas if they choose not to because of religious or moral reasons. Apparently there were also a lot of requests to open the veranda doors from one veranda to another. One crew member said she just kept her eyes down when she was out in public.

• Thanks 1