Connecting To Work On Laptop

I will be working from my company issued laptop during our cruise. We will be on the Indy. I have never logged in from a cruise. Can someone walk me through what I will need? I will be accessing MS Teams for calls as well as Zoom. I will need to get to MS Office products, etc. Basically working as if I were in the office or remote. This will be on our 3rd segment of the ship so I will have time to enjoy vacation.

Thanks for any information. 

I work remotely from the ship without too much issue, besides the obvious purchase of the internet package, connect with your tech team to find out any security changes they may need to make, specifically related to authentication while signing in. Other than that you will need to figure out where you have best connectivity. Sometimes the room is fine and other times it is better in a public space. I always give my contacts a heads up that I am remote from a ship and may have issues typically not experienced shoreside. Finally watch the time variations so you connect at the right time. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, njm5378 said:

I work remotely from the ship without too much issue, besides the obvious purchase of the internet package, connect with your tech team to find out any security changes they may need to make, specifically related to authentication while signing in. Other than that you will need to figure out where you have best connectivity. Sometimes the room is fine and other times it is better in a public space. I always give my contacts a heads up that I am remote from a ship and may have issues typically not experienced shoreside. Finally watch the time variations so you connect at the right time. Hope that helps.

Thank you!!!

40 minutes ago, 2cruzers said:

Can someone walk me through what I will need?

Just the Voom package. Connect to ship WiFi and then internet and it’s almost as if you were home. Except, you are more likely to have outages and the WiFi signal in the cabin can be iffy ( prop the door open a bit to improve that). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Just the Voom package. Connect to ship WiFi and then internet and it’s almost as if you were home. Except, you are more likely to have outages and the WiFi signal in the cabin can be iffy ( prop the door open a bit to improve that). 

Thank you!!!

26 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I hope your company has at least installed a VPN for your use on the cruise. Other security protocols might be advantageous too. 

Yes, we have VPN and there are more than likely additional security protocols. I will get with my IT team as well.

My husband and I purchase two device access so that each of us can have access but beware if your work requires multi-factor authentication, you will need to have both devices signed in.  Example: he has to sign in to internet on his phone and PC and then when he logs on to company email from the PC, he gets the MFA code sent to his phone.  After he enters the authentication code, he can log off his phone and I can get on my internet with whatever device I choose.  

Just something to think about when purchasing packages or when you talk to your IT, perhaps they can send your MFA to a personal email or whatever so that you only need internet for one device. 

• Like 1

With MFA, I sign into internet on my phone and use wifi calling so I can receive security codes via text (for those services that require it) or approval prompts.  I then connect my phone to my laptop via USB and turn on USB tethering so that I can have internet on both simultaneously using one data plan.

I always work on my cruise (self-employed).  I use a VPN, and the only issues I've had on the Anthem is that the wifi signal was weak in my balcomy stateroom on deck 9.  Worked very well in Solarium and Crown Lounge and most other spots I tried. 

Teddie

5 hours ago, 2cruzers said:

Yes, we have VPN and there are more than likely additional security protocols. I will get with my IT team as well.

I would def recommend conferring with IT. We have added precautions on our laptops due to HIPAA concerns.  Addressing while at home is easier than trying to figure out issues while onboard.  Have a great cruise! 🙂

5 hours ago, Den7Cruiser said:

beware if your work requires multi-factor authentication, you will need to have both devices signed in

This may be particular to your version of MFA.  Ours (Duo) allows you to input the code that shows on your phone and you do NOT need internet connectivity to use the code.

As for the OP we used Teams on our recent Enchantment cruise.  It worked but we did have connections dropping all too frequently.

Adding a note about VPN, not all are quite the same.  I have never had an issue with working remotely from the ship, including with the VPN.  A friend had issues with his and even checked with the Royal IT person on the ship,  was told that I would not work.  

sorry, I don’t know the specifics or what troubleshooting was done for him.  

• Like 1

If you are planning to work not in your room bring some powerbank or something. Ships don’t have many power outlets.

• Like 2