Booking dining as a solo traveller

Hi,

I am travelling by myself on the Grand Princess in January. I'd like to join other people for dinner in the MDR. From a previous Princess cruise I know that you can join a table of others who don't mind sharing. How does this work with regarding to freestyle dining or is it better to just book a time every night on the app?

We just walk up and say how many in our party and we want to share a table. Works almost every time. There was one cruise we tried it, and they kept sitting us at a table for two. I don't know why they couldn't understand you you say table for two to share....lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sailingkiwi said:

Thanks. So does that mean that people will be at different stages of dining - some people on starters and some on mains etc? 

No, when you request a ‘shared’ table, they will try to fill the table before any food service has started. If no other passengers show up, you may still end up at a larger table just by yourselves.

• Like 1

I cruise solo and suggest you book your nightly dinner reservation and select shared table that way you are more likely to get a shared table than if you go with no reservations that had been my experience on princess.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sailingkiwi said:

Hi,

I am travelling by myself on the Grand Princess in January. I'd like to join other people for dinner in the MDR. From a previous Princess cruise I know that you can join a table of others who don't mind sharing. How does this work with regarding to freestyle dining or is it better to just book a time every night on the app?

I go onto the thread for the cruise that I’m going on & post that you’re looking for solo cruisers & have them contact you with their contact information. Start a list & submit it to Princess. Some of my best dining experiences are eating with the same people each night. 

Another option is at the 1st night dinner request that you want the same table each night. That way you can walk straight to your table & not have to wait in line each night n

Heres one group photo. 

Keep us posted. 

Tom😁

image.jpeg

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Moondogy said:

We just walk up and say how many in our party and we want to share a table. Works almost every time. There was one cruise we tried it, and they kept sitting us at a table for two. I don't know why they couldn't understand you you say table for two to share....lol

It’s possible that they just didn’t have any others waiting to share at the moment. If there’s no line-up of people outside the door, they’d have to have you wait till others came along. My guess is that their priority is to just get everyone seated.

Sharing seems to work best when there’s a crowd waiting to get into the MDR.

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

I go onto the thread for the cruise that I’m going on & post that you’re looking for solo cruisers & have them contact you with their contact information. Start a list & submit it to Princess. Some of my best dining experiences are eating with the same people each night. 

Another option is at the 1st night dinner request that you want the same table each night. That way you can walk straight to your table & not have to wait in line each night n

Heres one group photo. 

Keep us posted. 

Tom😁

Finding dining companions on your roll call is a great idea!

My one comment though is that walking straight in isn’t a good idea unless you eat right when the MDR opens. In my experience the hostess always prefers to let us know that our table is ready. There’s no telling if the people ahead of us might have taken a bit longer than normal to finish their meal.

Just be aware that fixed dining is not like it was in the past. With so many dining options, it's rare for cruisers to eat in the MDR every night. If you book fixed dining, you may find yourself sitting all alone at a big table, which feels awkward. A better idea might be to go to the anytime MDR, ask for a shared table , and be prepared to wait a few minutes for one to form. The hostess should be able to give you a beeper so you don't have to stand at the entrance while waiting.

I eat by myself in the MDR often if DH is not feeling well, which is frequent at the start of a cruise. He's just not a good traveler! I just go to the MDR and sometimes I like to eat by myself and other times I'll share. Generally, if you say dinner for one, they will ask if you want to share or you can specify. They do start the shared table dinner service when the table is full or a reasonable amount of time has passed waiting g to fill. 

When I cruise solo, I always get a shared table.  But I specifically ask for a table of 6.  Any more than that and you only have conversation with the person on either side of you.  The larger tables are just too large to carry on a conversation with (or even to hear) others on the other side of the table.

I cruise by myself most of the time.  I just walk up to the restaurant of my choice when I want to eat and say “one to share.”  I get to eat with new and (mostly) interesting people every night.

• Like 1