Tip currency

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Wow! Really?? So giving a crew member some $'s in appreciation of their efforts is abuse??

Your post has caused me to break one of my 'rules' of not commenting on tipping threads.

On our recent cruise (where we had already 'paid' the tips included in our fare), we tipped, in cash, on the last evening, our room steward, our dining room waitress & the guy who served us on the pool deck throughout in appreciation of the extra efforts they made to look after us and help us enjoy our cruise. None of them knew we were to do this, and the tip was accepted with great appreciation.

We mostly do a similar thing, I was only asking what currency to use, not whether I should tip or not. Some people obviously have strong views on not tipping. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ned49 said:

We mostly do a similar thing, I was only asking what currency to use, not whether I should tip or not. Some people obviously have strong views on not tipping. 

Yes, & I saw that others had answered with good advice on what you asked. Then....................

Enjoy your cruise and so whatever you are happy to do. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, colourbird said:

I really resent tips (although I do tip for great service). I work in a service industry where we don't get tips and aren't allowed to accept tips or any gifts even though we go out of our way to assist people all day long (and the pay's not that great).

Flight attendant? 

3 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

People who work for tips are among the most vulnerable people in our society.  The large corporations who employ them get away with paying lower wages because the companies are insulated from the fallout.  Tipping is NOT bribery.  It is a recognition of a service someone has performed specifically for you.  Withholding tips doesn't hurt large corporations, it only hurts those who can least afford it.

I would never withhold tips in the US or the like.  I would never ask for my gratuities to be paid back.  I just hate the practice and do not like the way it is creeping in here.  My daughter is a hospitality worker and it is a skilled job.  She deserves to be paid well.  If customers appreciate good service they should pay for it up front in the cost of their meal (which includes service).  It should not be subject to the whims of the customer, any more than any other profession is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Wow! Really?? So giving a crew member some $'s in appreciation of their efforts is abuse??

Your post has caused me to break one of my 'rules' of not commenting on tipping threads.

On our recent cruise (where we had already 'paid' the tips included in our fare), we tipped, in cash, on the last evening, our room steward, our dining room waitress & the guy who served us on the pool deck throughout in appreciation of the extra efforts they made to look after us and help us enjoy our cruise. None of them knew we were to do this, and the tip was accepted with great appreciation.

I'm not accusing you of abuse, Neil, nor denying you your altruism.  I would prefer, however, to pay a higher cruise fare to a company that paid their staff higher wages for the job they do, then hand out envelopes of cash.  Did you know that in many US States, there are two minimum wages, one for tipped jobs and one for non-tipped staff?  That creates an underclass of people who must gain tips to survive.  Their jobs are not unskilled, they have merely been labelled such.  Did you know that better looking, thinner, white employees are more likely to receive higher tips?  That's not a system that is about getting better service.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I would never withhold tips in the US or the like.  I would never ask for my gratuities to be paid back.  I just hate the practice and do not like the way it is creeping in here.  My daughter is a hospitality worker and it is a skilled job.  She deserves to be paid well.  If customers appreciate good service they should pay for it up front in the cost of their meal (which includes service).  It should not be subject to the whims of the customer, any more than any other profession is.

Fine.

But a tip must be entirely voluntary. 

Therefore any service charge must be included in any advertised or published price.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Fine.

But a tip must be entirely voluntary. 

Therefore any service charge must be included in any advertised or published price.

I hear you, if you are in the US or Canada where tipping is customary.  Or on a US cruiseline.  But in NZ, Australia, the UK or the like, it is included in the prices as a matter of course.  I mean, it's not like I can get behind the bar and make my own drink, or grab the syringe and do my own vaccination.  The service is part of the product.  The tax is included too.  I find it very confusing when ordering a coffee in the US that I think is $5, only to find the tax added later.  Just tell me the price up front.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ned49 said:

Sorry Ned.  You are right.  I didn't mean to burden you with my opinions when you you didn't ask for them in the first place.  My apologies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

People who work for tips are among the most vulnerable people in our society.  The large corporations who employ them get away with paying lower wages because the companies are insulated from the fallout.  Tipping is NOT bribery.  It is a recognition of a service someone has performed specifically for you.  Withholding tips doesn't hurt large corporations, it only hurts those who can least afford it.

The "bribery" comment is more to do with the fact that it required a tip in order for the staff to find those people seats each night. They should be doing that for you regardless. If they're telling you there's no seats.. but for a fee, they can make them appear - that's a bribe. 

• Like 9

In Japan, tipping is considered an insult to the dignity of the person providing the service. It’s always advisable to research cultural sensitivities when money is involved.  Most cruise lines we sail with include gratuities in the fare, but we always tip our butler and room stewards (a lesser amount than the butler).  If bar and restaurant staff are included, it’s never-ending.  Only once did we not tip a butler who was like a ghost.  We never saw him.

• Like 2

@Ned49 rather than debate "Tips" which are different than "Gratuities" and whether we should or shouldn't; I will make a suggestion to your original question of currency. Is the ship returning to Australia or is it carrying on to the US, or another country? If the currency on board is AUD and the ship is returning to Oz then use AUD. If the ship is in AUD but will be moving to a new home port with a different currency then use the new currency.

Our next voyage starts in New Zealand, has stops in New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and several other countries. It ends in Seattle, where it will start the Alaska season. We will probably give some crew who make our voyage more enjoyable a "Gratuity" when we disembark in Victoria (North). We will take the opportunity to pass on any US currency we may have left over from our Hawaii port stops.

• Like 2

I'm guessing it's Diamond Princess repositioning to Japan. If so, getting Yen from a 7-Eleven or Family Mart ATM at one of the Japan port stops before disembarkation is an option. Otherwise USD, which will be the currency once onboard once the ship starts operating in Japan, will make it easier for crew members.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

@Ned49 rather than debate "Tips" which are different than "Gratuities" and whether we should or shouldn't; I will make a suggestion to your original question of currency. Is the ship returning to Australia or is it carrying on to the US, or another country? If the currency on board is AUD and the ship is returning to Oz then use AUD. If the ship is in AUD but will be moving to a new home port with a different currency then use the new currency.

Our next voyage starts in New Zealand, has stops in New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and several other countries. It ends in Seattle, where it will start the Alaska season. We will probably give some crew who make our voyage more enjoyable a "Gratuity" when we disembark in Victoria (North). We will take the opportunity to pass on any US currency we may have left over from our Hawaii port stops.

Thanks you, very good suggestion 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm guessing it's Diamond Princess repositioning to Japan. If so, getting Yen from a 7-Eleven or Family Mart ATM at one of the Japan port stops before disembarkation is an option. Otherwise USD, which will be the currency once onboard once the ship starts operating in Japan, will make it easier for crew members.

No it’s the Royal going from Sydney to Alaska via Japan. I believe it’s $au to Japan then $US, we depart the cruise in Japan. Thanks for you answer.

• Like 1