Do I have any say in this - help please!

masonchar

2 hours ago, Traveller1212 said:

Masonchar thanks for your post - my friend & I just booked yesterday - we booked adjoining obstructed OV cabins with 1 person in each cabin - after reading your post I checked & 1 cabin is a 3/4 person - I would be really angry if Princess bumped us out, we specifically wanted adjoining cabins - booked both through Expedia but they have separate booking #’s - I will be calling/messaging to make sure our Bookings are marked No Upgrade 

no upgrade really does not have any impact if they are moving you for capacity reasons. You might want to see if you can get the bookings linked.

49 minutes ago, TRLD said:

no upgrade really does not have any impact if they are moving you for capacity reasons. You might want to see if you can get the bookings linked.

Yes TRLD you’re right - our TA called Princess to have the bookings linked & that connected cabins are needed for health/caregiving reasons - if they need the 3/4 person obst OV cabin maybe we’ll get moved to connected balconies 🤣🤞🏻

• Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 5:59 PM, travelloverontario said:

1) I could not find a way to determine which cabins hold 2, 3, or 4 people.  Am I being daft? Where on the deck plans (or elsewhere)  can I find this?

I use this website: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/cruiseline.php?line=Princess

It shows if the balcony cabin is covered or not, if the room holds more than 2 people, etc.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks for the link but I can't see where it says anything about balcony covered (or not) on the Sun.

Probably too early as it just started sailing. 😢

On 3/13/2024 at 8:22 AM, masonchar said:

I booked a 14 day Alaskan cruise directly with Princess back in January.  Final payment was three days ago.  We couldn't afford an oceanview cabin or better, this time around.   But, we decided to book an obstructed view cabin.  There weren't many left, but we found one with a pretty good view. ( I used a website that shows pictures of the views).  Last night I got an email saying they are moving us to a cabin beside the one we had booked.  They said the reason was that the one we booked could accommodate 4 people and there are only 2 of us.  The new (they call it an upgrade) does not have as good a view.  The one we had booked was between two tenders.  The new one is blocked by the front of the tender.   We aren't happy about this change at all.  Before I get on the phone today, is there anything I can do?

Actually, you have a supporting case in your favor now (especially, if you can prove the "upgrade" verbiage).  If not that, the cruise line has a right to do what they did.  However, since (and if) they consider it an upgrade, now you may request a real upgrade to any available cabin in the closest category up (since the actual new cabin is technically verse than your original).

PS.  When we try to book a 3/4 berth cabin for 2 about, our cruise agent always warns us that a cruise line might move us to a different cabin in the same (or above) category at any time, if someone will try to book a cabin for 3/4 people, and none is available at the time of that booking attempt, and even a higher category cabin might actually be worse (location, configuration, a smaller balcony size, obstructed view like in your case, ...) than our booked cabin.

• Like 2

We're in a 3/4 cabin with only 2 people for our upcoming cruise and now I'm a bit worried. There wasn't any way to mark it as No Upgrade when I booked but part of me hopes we get updated to a mini-suite or something. 😉 

2 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

We're in a 3/4 cabin with only 2 people for our upcoming cruise and now I'm a bit worried. There wasn't any way to mark it as No Upgrade when I booked but part of me hopes we get updated to a mini-suite or something. 😉 

The only way to mark it no upgrade or meta upgrade only is either by calling Princess or having your TA do so.

Marking it no upgrade would not affect if they were to decide to make a change for capacity or other operational reasons.

4 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

Masonchar, we are all waiting breathlessly for the resolution.  Please keep us posted!

So am I.   Was supposed to get a call back by last night.   Never happened.  Guess I have to get on the phone again today.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, masonchar said:

So am I.   Was supposed to get a call back by last night.   Never happened.  Guess I have to get on the phone again today.

This is so unacceptable. When someone tells you 48 hours, the response must be within that time frame or a short call, etc. why they're still investigating. Have you emailed customerrelations@princesscruises.com? I've had a couple of issues and they always respond/resolve fairly promptly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, masonchar said:

So sorry to hear that but thank you for keeping those of us that are interested updated.  I am cheering for your success!!

14 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

So sorry to hear that but thank you for keeping those of us that are interested updated.  I am cheering for your success!!

Called again today.  Spoke to the supervisor.  Was told another 24 to 48 hours ..... but not to expect anything

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

This is so unacceptable. When someone tells you 48 hours, the response must be within that time frame or a short call, etc. why they're still investigating. Have you emailed customerrelations@princesscruises.com? I've had a couple of issues and they always respond/resolve fairly promptly.

I can try that!

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Have you emailed customerrelations@princesscruises.com? I've had a couple of issues and they always respond/resolve fairly promptly.

I also had an issue that was sending me around in circles with the people at Princess, and finally one person with whom I spoke was very candid and said that the people who man the customer relations email box have "far more authority and ability to solve problems than the people who answer the phones."  Direct quote.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, masonchar said:

I can try that!

I would also get them on chat - use every channel. I just googled carnival mgt and found the Senior Director of Customer Care with Carnival and her name is Arlene Brown. Email addresses arlenebrown@carnival.com and ABrown@carnival .com. You never know, you may not get any help but if a response is promised then it should be honored.

• Like 1

Here is what I would tell them and it is the facts.    I paid extra to be able to chose my room number . You agreed to book that room to me  and you did.  I have no interest in changing rooms. 

To me this should not have even been brought up to you. This is something they need to address in the future if it is a problem for them .   

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 2and2 said:

Here is what I would tell them and it is the facts.    I paid extra to be able to chose my room number . You agreed to book that room to me  and you did.  I have no interest in changing rooms. 

To me this should not have even been brought up to you. This is something they need to address in the future if it is a problem for them .   

It has been going on for ages.

They just say your cabin is gone.

it is wrong. They do it anyway.

I got nowhere with them trying to get my cabin back. They said I got an upgrade. End of story.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dog said:

It has been going on for ages.

They just say your cabin is gone.

it is wrong. They do it anyway.

I got nowhere with them trying to get my cabin back. They said I got an upgrade. End of story.

And there is no real incentive for them to change. Since all mainstream cruise lines have the same policy, for every customer they lose because of it, they gain one from another cruise line.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:32 AM, startedwithamouse said:

You'll be much happier with the 2 person cabin. I 

It's really tricky to move around the queen sized bed setup with two berths hanging on the wall. 

I don't know if you will be happier, but it is a pain to have the berths on the wall. We once got moved to a cabin with a queen and berths on the wall--it bothered my back (which was in bad shape that cruise for other reasons) every time I got in or out of bed.

11 hours ago, masonchar said:

Called again today.  Spoke to the supervisor.  Was told another 24 to 48 hours ..... but not to expect anything

I suspect one reason they are avoiding calling back is that there is nothing that they (customer service) can do. The room has probably been reassigned (the precovid rule was you had up to 48 hours to object to an upgrade).

At this point you are most likely not getting the room back and probably pretty stuck in the room that they moved you to.

There used to be a department (resolutions department) that used to handle situations like this that had more authority than customer service, but I do not think they exist any more.

• Like 2

I'm really sorry this happened to you.

It's not right or fair.

The only thing you can do (although I wouldn't give up on still pushing Princess and trying to elevate the complaint) is to learn the lesson of what a good travel agent, who has some leverage with Princess can do for you.I know from experience that our travel agent has access to people that I, as just a customer, don't.

We can't recommend on here but talk to people on your cruise and ask for recommendations - that's how we found ours.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chamima said:

I'm really sorry this happened to you.

It's not right or fair.

The only thing you can do (although I wouldn't give up on still pushing Princess and trying to elevate the complaint) is to learn the lesson of what a good travel agent, who has some leverage with Princess can do for you.I know from experience that our travel agent has access to people that I, as just a customer, don't.

We can't recommend on here but talk to people on your cruise and ask for recommendations - that's how we found ours.

Yes, good idea.   Going forward, I think we will do that.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, masonchar said:

Yes, good idea.   Going forward, I think we will do that.

When and if you talk with customer service again you might ask if there is anyway to talk directly with the department that they are sending your request to. The reason they are saying 24 to 48 hours for a call back is because they do not have direct authority to correct the situation so they have to send a request to the department that actually controls the rooms.

Just out of curiosity you might also.ask if the resolutions department still exists or if another department has taken its place.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRLD said:

When and if you talk with customer service again you might ask if there is anyway to talk directly with the department that they are sending your request to. The reason they are saying 24 to 48 hours for a call back is because they do not have direct authority to correct the situation so they have to send a request to the department that actually controls the rooms.

Just out of curiosity you might also.ask if the resolutions department still exists or if another department has taken its place.

Thank you