Do I have any say in this - help please!

masonchar

20 hours ago, dog said:

It has been going on for ages.

They just say your cabin is gone.

it is wrong. They do it anyway.

I got nowhere with them trying to get my cabin back. They said I got an upgrade. End of story.

Same here.  Upgrade is all they have to say, although we were then around corner from stairwell and directly across from crew utility room.  Their so-called upgrade was from slightly forward to mid-ship which we don't care about.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 9:32 AM, 2and2 said:

Here is what I would tell them and it is the facts.    I paid extra to be able to chose my room number . You agreed to book that room to me  and you did.  I have no interest in changing rooms. 

To me this should not have even been brought up to you. This is something they need to address in the future if it is a problem for them .   

And their response would be that you booked under the terms and conditions that state that they can reassign you to a different cabin if they decide to do so. It can be same class or higher without any compensation.

One could potentially ask for a credit of whatever the amount is between a guarantee room and the selected room and might have a chance of getting a small OBC if they are moved, but if so that would only be a goodwill gesture.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

EDIT:  Geez, I just realized I commented on the wrong post!  Please disregard for this particular issue, but I'll leave it here anyway in case it can help anyone else.

Just a quick note that might not be any help, but who knows.  I used the chat feature today to ask a question about EZAir.  I entered my name, etc. with my question and waited for an agent to join the chat.  When they did, it was clearly an automated message that said something to the effect of, "This is Jolene, blah blah blah, our system is currently down.  Please call ... for help with your booking."

I got distracted and started doing something else when I heard the chat window "ding."  I had a message from another rep that said, "Hi mamafun, I see you are still in the chat, was there something else we can help with?"  I typed my question again and got an answer right away.

So maybe that "system is down" message is just a way to try to weed down the number of chats?

Edited by mamafun
  • Like 2

Is your original room still available? If so, can you just book it as a 24 hour hold and then call/use chat to get your current booking switched over? Or has the price increased significantly since you originally booked?

44 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Is your original room still available? If so, can you just book it as a 24 hour hold and then call/use chat to get your current booking switched over? Or has the price increased significantly since you originally booked?

No, that cabin is gone.  And a supervisor checked to see if there was anything comparable left, and there is nothing.

5 minutes ago, masonchar said:

No, that cabin is gone.  And a supervisor checked to see if there was anything comparable left, and there is nothing.

I’m sorry! That sucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Is your original room still available?

In a scenario such as this, it is almost always the case that the original cabin is reassigned instantly to the larger party that needs it. There is really no reason why Princess would move someone out of a cabin unless there was already someone else in the on deck circle ready to move into it the instant it is freed up. 

34 minutes ago, masonchar said:

was there a price difference between choosing your cabin or a gty? Usually in the lower category cabins there is not, you get to pick your cabin. 

51 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

In a scenario such as this, it is almost always the case that the original cabin is reassigned instantly to the larger party that needs it. There is really no reason why Princess would move someone out of a cabin unless there was already someone else in the on deck circle ready to move into it the instant it is freed up. 

I'm not convinced this is true - as a TA, there is a self service form that we can complete and submit for the original cabin to be reassigned if a guest receives a complimentary upgrade and isn't satisfied or doesn't want it. The turn around time is 3 business days - I've only had a to do it twice and both times the original cabin was given back to the guest. I'm sure by now the cabin has been assigned to someone else, but I'm not sure it would be "instant" and I do think that OP may have had a good chance of getting it back had someone at customer service been more responsive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I e been through this thread twice, and somehow missed if the name of the ship has been mentioned.  But I have a question for the OP:  just what are your expectations for the use of this unobstructed view?  In a quad cabin, whether uppers are in the ceiling or on the wall, the head of the bed will be beneath the window.  You can’t get close to the window without sprawling across the bed.  You can’t sit by the window and watch the passing scene.  In some cabins for two only, the head of the bed is on the side wall, so you could sit by the window (if there was a chair) to see out…around the obstruction.  So, you might not achieve what you expect from the unobstructed view.  EM

Once I was having an issue with Princess and couldn't get anywhere with cs.  I then sent an email to Collin Stenke and got a prompt  reply from his assistant.  I was able to resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

His info is:

Collin Steinke
Director, Customer Relations
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
csteinke@princesscruises.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm not convinced this is true - as a TA, there is a self service form that we can complete and submit for the original cabin to be reassigned if a guest receives a complimentary upgrade and isn't satisfied or doesn't want it. The turn around time is 3 business days - I've only had a to do it twice and both times the original cabin was given back to the guest. I'm sure by now the cabin has been assigned to someone else, but I'm not sure it would be "instant" and I do think that OP may have had a good chance of getting it back had someone at customer service been more responsive.

It used to be that there would be a gap of 48 hours from the time someone was upgraded, during which if one contacted them promptly within that period they had a chance of reversing the upgrade.  However, that was pre-covid.  Not sure if they are still following that system or not.

However, in the case of moving a party of two from a 3/4 room to a 2 person room, they would most likely say that the move was made for operational reasons (i.e. they needed a 3/4 room) and even under the old system the room would be gone immediately.  

On one cruise I was on my way to the airport, got notified of the room change.  Contracted the then existing resolutions department within about an hour of the change.  They looked into it and said that the change was for operational reasons and there was no way to get the room back.  We then spent the next 15 minutes or so discussing options and they were able to give me a much nicer outcome.  The operational reason was that they wanted the room for a guest entertainer.  The problem today is that one can no longer talk directly with a department that had the ability to work directly with room inventory when they are doing the final room assignments.

41 minutes ago, TRLD said:

It used to be that there would be a gap of 48 hours from the time someone was upgraded, during which if one contacted them promptly within that period they had a chance of reversing the upgrade.  However, that was pre-covid.  Not sure if they are still following that system or not.

The self service forms for TAs to submit are very recent - a new enhancement that came about to reduce hold times when trying to call. There are a number of them available for various issues and I have found them very effective. I have submitted twice for unwanted upgrades (both bookings marked as no upgrade) for guests that wanted/booked specific rooms. Both times, the original rooms were returned within 2 business days. I'm sure at this late stage the OP likely won't get back the original room unless Princess decides to "upgrade" the new occupants. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

But the two are not mutually exclusive. You are overlooking the fact that if the original party is moved back in to the cabin, the party that replaced them in that cabin then gets moved. It’s a game of musical chairs. The second party that got the cabin never even knew that they had it. So if the original party gets it back, the second party gets moved to another cabin and is none the wiser.