My take on the current state of NCL.

kodos

For us it's about perceived value for the price being asked. I looked the other day at the Asia itineraries and I love them. But they're on smaller, older ships, and they're charging Haven prices for club balcony rooms. Sorry - but at that price point I'm jumping ships.

For the price NCL wanted for an 11 day cruise on the Sun in a club balcony room, we can sail with Viking for just slightly more money (~1K) in a larger room with more included perks. Or on Oceania where their entry level suite is still significantly bigger and better than the simple club balcony 'suite' on NCL - and the price on Oceania was about 3K cheaper!

We have a price we're comfortable paying, and if NCL isn't meeting that we will gladly upgrade to a fancier cruise line where you get more things for less money. We live a short 40 min train ride into NYC - so we don't cruise for broadway shows or fancy meals, we have that easy at home. The ship is just the easy means to visiting a lot of new places. And if NCL is pricing us out to other lines, so be it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

again, can we just get clarity on this... when you say "the prom" what do you mean?

the syd norman's cast presenting their "prom" evening in the theatre?

or some sort of "night out" party facilitated by the cruise director's staff and held in the disco/theatre space?

the bootleg videos on youtube from the breakaway from this month and last month clearly show the syd's cast holding court in the eponymous club, not the theatre.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

again, can we just get clarity on this... when you say "the prom" what do you mean?

the syd norman's cast presenting their "prom" evening in the theatre?

or some sort of "night out" party facilitated by the cruise director's staff and held in the disco/theatre space?

the bootleg videos on youtube from the breakaway from this month and last month clearly show the syd's cast holding court in the eponymous club, not the theatre.

Yes, no one claiming the prom has been shown in the theater has definitively said it was the prom as done by the Syd Norman crew. On our Prima cruise, that was the last Syd Norman show and was of course presented in their club.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Syd's Prom show? Or a random "prom" party? There is a difference.

8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

So no one can follow directions and copy a title into a u tube search bar?

Edited by Panhandle Couple

i've been to youtube.

the youtube videos carry clear labeling identifying the [bootleg] syd norman "prom" clips, all of which seem to have been filmed in the pourhouse.

several posters in this thread have not been as clear as to what they are talking about, throwing around terms such as "the prom" and "prom night" and "prom show," as if they were interchangeable. 

i still have no bloody idea what they're talking about.

NCL's contract forbids syd's shows to be performed outside the pourhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i've been to youtube.

the youtube videos carry clear labeling identifying the [bootleg] syd norman "prom" clips, all of which seem to have been filmed in the pourhouse.

several posters in this thread have not been as clear as to what they are talking about, throwing around terms such as "the prom" and "prom night" and "prom show," as if they were interchangeable. 

Well, yeah, see post #23.  Minute 17-21.  Definitely was not made in the Pour House, as their previous videos were made from the front row of the Pour House.  Note: I decline to make direct U Tube links here, or share still shots from them due to CC policies or U tube copyright infringements.

Two other posters have validated that they personally saw "Prom Night" on the Viva in the theater.  Why is that so had a concept to grasp?  How many freakin Prom nights does NCL perform?  Yeah,,,only 1. 

Additionally, do you work for NCL?  (which I doubt)

How do you know what any of their contracts state?  Did you find them on line?  Can you provide a link?  If not, you are just either repeating 3rd party hear-say, or making stuff up.

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

So, no one can answer a simple question, definitively?

So yeah...

How many "random Prom parties" does NCL host on ship?

As a famous politician once said.

It depends on what the meaning of "is" is...

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i've been to youtube.

Have you read these contracts?

• Haha 1

Trying to choose all my words carefully here I have seen the Syd cast perform 80's songs in a show labeled 80's prom in the main theater on both Breakaway and Getaway in 2022 & 2023.

My most recent sailing on the Prima the same show was performed in the pourhouse. 

The easiest way to know what is going on currently on any given ship is to wait until someone sailing posts their dailies on here. Each ship and each sailing is always a little different in how they do things. Sometimes adjustments are made because a scheduled show in the main theater gets canceled. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

For us it's about perceived value for the price being asked. I looked the other day at the Asia itineraries and I love them. But they're on smaller, older ships, and they're charging Haven prices for club balcony rooms. Sorry - but at that price point I'm jumping ships.

For the price NCL wanted for an 11 day cruise on the Sun in a club balcony room, we can sail with Viking for just slightly more money (~1K) in a larger room with more included perks. Or on Oceania where their entry level suite is still significantly bigger and better than the simple club balcony 'suite' on NCL - and the price on Oceania was about 3K cheaper!

We have a price we're comfortable paying, and if NCL isn't meeting that we will gladly upgrade to a fancier cruise line where you get more things for less money. We live a short 40 min train ride into NYC - so we don't cruise for broadway shows or fancy meals, we have that easy at home. The ship is just the easy means to visiting a lot of new places. And if NCL is pricing us out to other lines, so be it.

Not doubting your shopping, but I happen to be looking at a Hong Kong Itinerary, too.  You made me look up NCL, Oceania and Viking.  I'm not seeing what you're seeing. 

Agree the NCL Sun is smaller, and the Balcony fares are right around $5,500 for 11 days.  Club Balcony cabins are higher, so I'm comparing base balconies on the other lines to Balcony cabins on NCL.

Looked at Oceania for their cheapest Hong Kong itinerary also 11 days, sailing in their cheapest balcony and they were running $14,000.

Viking's cheapest veranda is running about $10,500 similar itinerary but only 10 days.

So, once again, I'm leaning towards NCL.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

Value certainly plays into my consideration of future cruises and for the most part NCL has provided it. I mostly book inside cabins. My wife prefers the total darkness it provides for sleeping. I also shop deals and watch the trends on fares. At the rates I've paid I have always felt I have gotten my monies worth. 

The other thing that keeps me coming back is I know how NCL works and I have the perks of Sapphire. I know where everything is on all the ships. I know how to navigate around the crowds. I know all the secrets. I get to board early, eat in two specialty restaurants, and get one laundry bag plus a few other things with my status. That familiarity lowers the stress of traveling for me and has a tangible value when considering what cruise line. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, kodos said:

I have seen the Syd cast perform 80's songs in a show labeled 80's prom in the main theater on both Breakaway and Getaway in 2022 & 2023.

Thank you. Clear, authoritative (as much as can be on an Internet forum), conclusive, and no trying to parse a random YT video.

5 hours ago, kodos said:

Trying to choose all my words carefully here I have seen the Syd cast perform 80's songs in a show labeled 80's prom in the main theater on both Breakaway and Getaway in 2022 & 2023.

My most recent sailing on the Prima the same show was performed in the pourhouse. 

The easiest way to know what is going on currently on any given ship is to wait until someone sailing posts their dailies on here. Each ship and each sailing is always a little different in how they do things. Sometimes adjustments are made because a scheduled show in the main theater gets canceled. 

If there was on Syd's show that would have been transferred to the theater, I wish it would be the Rumours as that was the one with the impossible line on our Prima cruise. All of the shows on our cruise on the Prima were in the Pour House.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:03 AM, graphicguy said:

Not doubting your shopping, but I happen to be looking at a Hong Kong Itinerary, too.  You made me look up NCL, Oceania and Viking.  I'm not seeing what you're seeing. 

Agree the NCL Sun is smaller, and the Balcony fares are right around $5,500 for 11 days.  Club Balcony cabins are higher, so I'm comparing base balconies on the other lines to Balcony cabins on NCL.

Looked at Oceania for their cheapest Hong Kong itinerary also 11 days, sailing in their cheapest balcony and they were running $14,000.

Viking's cheapest veranda is running about $10,500 similar itinerary but only 10 days.

So, once again, I'm leaning towards NCL.

Ahh, that's the issue. I don't consider comparing a balcony on NCL to be a fair comparison to an entry level cabin on the other lines. There's a lot more things included for 'free' (ie, wrapped into the price already) on those lines. So an entry level cabin on the fancier guys is more akin to a club balcony at a minimum in my eyes.

This is the itinerary I really love as it hits a bucket list stop in Male for me. 16 days in a club balcony suite works out to $690/day.

image.thumb.png.b24646e4407633c00af09e6726de119b.png

Consolation trip that hits Japan is an 11 day at a price of $865/day.

image.thumb.png.a188a819f5396e7f99168144f5dc6449.png

14 day trip on Oceania in a basic balcony room works out to $957/day. So yes, higher, but you're in one of the 'worst' cabins on the ship with a LOT less people and a few bonus things the NCL trip doesn't include. As opposed to being mid-range in cabin class with NCL. Itineraries for 2026 aren't up yet to compare more fair date ranges.

image.thumb.png.dc615d79e9b89940663b541ef80cc0be.png

13 day trip on Viking in a basic balcony room works out to $846/day. Again, smaller passenger count and extra freebies that NCL isn't giving make it a better overall value in my eyes.

image.thumb.png.dad3b117d7e8816a7f39a07f86fe4b5c.png

I guess my main point is that when I hit prices of 10K+ on NCL, and I'm not in a suite or the Haven, I have to start scratching my head and ask myself what am I doing and why am I NOT looking at other lines when your cross that comfort threshold of what we find to be 'fair' pricing for a vacation.

Do not see a lot of difference between a Balcony and a Club Balcony on NCL.  Club Balcony does have a somewhat nicer bathroom.  And, has some "perks" (like a free load of laundry).  But, overall FAS covers everything I want with NCL.  As you point out, there can be a large delta between Balcony and Club Balcony.  Way not worth it for some free laundry and a bigger bathroom sink.

Just looked at the cabins via pictures on both Viking and Oceania Lowest Balcony cabins, which are quite similar to NCL's.  Oceania offers some wine and specialty dining, but so does FAS on NCL.

Both offer smaller ships.  

Have looked at Oceania a few times at the suggestion of my TA.  Just didn't find anything I found that interested me nor at a price point I was willing to pay.

But, to be totally frank, there is NO WAY I'd spend anywhere near $10K+ for a cruise.

Got to shop a bit, but sailed the Epic in a 2BR Haven Suite with FAS, 11 nite Mediterranean for well under $5K....all in.  $5K is my hard limit for any "lux" cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Ahh, that's the issue. I don't consider comparing a balcony on NCL to be a fair comparison to an entry level cabin on the other lines. There's a lot more things included for 'free' (ie, wrapped into the price already) on those lines. So an entry level cabin on the fancier guys is more akin to a club balcony at a minimum in my eyes.

This is the itinerary I really love as it hits a bucket list stop in Male for me. 16 days in a club balcony suite works out to $690/day.

image.thumb.png.b24646e4407633c00af09e6726de119b.png

Consolation trip that hits Japan is an 11 day at a price of $865/day.

image.thumb.png.a188a819f5396e7f99168144f5dc6449.png

14 day trip on Oceania in a basic balcony room works out to $957/day. So yes, higher, but you're in one of the 'worst' cabins on the ship with a LOT less people and a few bonus things the NCL trip doesn't include. As opposed to being mid-range in cabin class with NCL. Itineraries for 2026 aren't up yet to compare more fair date ranges.

image.thumb.png.dc615d79e9b89940663b541ef80cc0be.png

13 day trip on Viking in a basic balcony room works out to $846/day. Again, smaller passenger count and extra freebies that NCL isn't giving make it a better overall value in my eyes.

image.thumb.png.dad3b117d7e8816a7f39a07f86fe4b5c.png

I guess my main point is that when I hit prices of 10K+ on NCL, and I'm not in a suite or the Haven, I have to start scratching my head and ask myself what am I doing and why am I NOT looking at other lines when your cross that comfort threshold of what we find to be 'fair' pricing for a vacation.

Moving to the NCL Balcony on the Sun is $5,500 w/FAS.  

That's a very, very big price difference between that and a base balcony on NCL or Oceana looking at your quotes.  That's a huge price difference for a bigger bathroom and some laundry.  Not sure the drink package on Oceania, but that's a LOT of drinks with that price delta.

But, your money...your choices.

So we were on the Bliss last summer in Alaska and just booked the western Caribbean over the week of New Years. We live in So. Fla. so no flights, etc. makes it a little easier for us.

After reading some of the posts about the entertainment I wanted to share this story. I am not someone who cruises for the entertainment. That being said, one of the people we were with in Alaska wanted to see Jersey Boys so we all went and it was excellent. The cooler thing however was on Sunday night after the first sea day they had karaoke in the District Brew House and the lead actor came and sang a couple of songs. He was awesome. I don't know if that was impromptu or if he's done it on other cruises but it was a lot of fun.

I liked the Beatles show but agree that having to get there an hour early and be packed in (we got lucky and were by the door going outside so there was a little breeze) was not fun. We sat at the outside bar on a subsequent night and watched on the TV and enjoyed it just as much. Maybe on a Caribbean cruise more people will be enjoying the pool and hot tubs and there will be fewer going to the shows.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:32 PM, ontheweb said:

I know what you mean. When we sailed the Epic in 2012, we were really looking forward to seeing Slam Allen. We read so many good things about him, plus he is from my hometown and I know one of his musician uncles. When we boarded we found out he was on his 6 months off. There was a meet and greet with the officer in charge of entertainment being one of the participants. I told him we were disappointed and why. (I will admit there was a lot of fine entertainment. I later tried to call that officer (who had left his contact information) to tell him we did enjoy the entertainment, but was unable to reach him.

We have seen him since, and I told him about missing him on the cruise. (It was actually a cruise for our 30th anniversary.

I saw Slam Allen [he was great!!] on Virgin's Scarlet Lady about a year or so ago, and I just checked his website and it looks like he's performing on Virgin exclusively for the rest of this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chrisa2711 said:

I saw Slam Allen [he was great!!] on Virgin's Scarlet Lady about a year or so ago, and I just checked his website and it looks like he's performing on Virgin exclusively for the rest of this year.

Saw Slam Allen on the Breakaway or Getaway a dozen or so years ago.  Great performer.  

Great to hear he’s still shredding it!!!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisa2711 said:

I saw Slam Allen [he was great!!] on Virgin's Scarlet Lady about a year or so ago, and I just checked his website and it looks like he's performing on Virgin exclusively for the rest of this year

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Saw Slam Allen on the Breakaway or Getaway a dozen or so years ago.  Great performer.  

Plus, he's really a very nice guy as well as a fine musician.

We have seen him a few times in the local area. And I have his first CD autographed by him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisa2711 said:

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Since you 2 are fans, let me add some information about him.

He started as a youth playing with the Allen Brothers Band, his uncle Cecil on guitar, his uncle Buddy (an old friend of mine) on saxophone, and his late father Harrison Sr. on bass. Slam played drums with them.

Professionally before going out on his own, he was the lead guitar and singer for the James Cotton Blues Band. 

• Like 1