Great Bear Rainforest cruise from Seattle 2025 and 2026 - Noordam

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

Joe, Arctic on the NS (deck 7 aft Vista) is June 15, 2025 from Rotterdam (14 day sail). We have Club Orange for that one and will get to spend 4 days in Amsterdam.

Norris

Thanks Norris ,

Our original plan was to do the NS in August this year .

2024 Aug 03 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer  Amsterdam $2439
Date / Time Port
03 Aug 16:00     Departing from Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland hotels
05 Aug 08:00 - 16:00     Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord
06 Aug 11:00 - 19:00     Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland
08 Aug 10:00 - 18:00     Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn
09 Aug 08:00 - 17:00     Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland
10 Aug 08:00 - 23:00     Reykjavik, Iceland
11 Aug 08:00 - 17:00     Grundarfjordur, Iceland
14 Aug 08:00 - 17:00     Qaqortoq, Greenland
15 Aug 07:00 - 13:00     Nanortalik, Greenland
18 Aug 11:00 - 18:00     Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands
19 Aug 10:00 - 18:00     Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland
20 Aug 08:00 - 16:00     Invergordon, Scotland
21 Aug 08:00 - 22 Aug 16:00     Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland
24 Aug 07:00     Arriving in Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland hotels

But that morphed to the NCL Star version with a stay in Iceland
for a week and London for a couple of days  in May this year .

2024 May 18 12 days, one-way from Portsmouth UK to Reykjavik  Portsmouth UK $1299
Date / Time Port
18 May 16:00     Departing from Portsmouth UK, England hotels
20 May 07:00 - 17:30     Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland
21 May 06:00 - 15:00     Invergordon, Scotland
22 May 15:30 - 21:30     Ulvik, Norway Hardangerfjord
23 May 09:30 - 20:00     Bergen, Norway
24 May 08:00 - 19:00     Alesund, Norway
25 May 09:00 - 18:00     Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland
26 May 09:30 - 18:30     Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands
27 May 09:30 - 18:30     Djupivogur, Iceland
28 May 10:00 - 20:00     Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn
29 May 08:00 - 16:00     Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland
30 May 04:00     Arriving in Reykjavik, Iceland hotels

But as I said it was double the cost in Europe so we chose Antarctica on the NCL Star .

5 hours ago, Khlela said:

I honestly think there will be a high chance of rain in April as well as October. HAL didn't even used to sail to Alaska then. I remember when I first went back in 2009 the earliest sailing was in May and the latest in September. In 2017 we went in April, it was the first time they had a sailing so early. The weather was TERRIBLE! We couldn't enjoy the balcony. Sitka was cancelled and we had to take the inside passage back.

April rain in AK was a record 3.4 inches in 2017. In 2023 it was 2.0.

As I have a vested interest I will check the rain this April in Ketchikan and also Prince Rupert, rainiest place in BC.

It's always worth taking an umbrella of course-including in the toasty Caribbean.

I can easily cancel as it's 2 years away if it seems there's a high chance of rain as you feel.

I'll post the rain results on this thread between April 19 and 26.

Norris

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Yes I see I have read that NS review. What a bout your AFT Vista on the previous NS? Do you have a link to that one?

Understood re the 6D MK1 issues. My 6D MKII is still in tip top shape after 7 years of heavy use.

I bought a separate camcorder SONY 53 for our Panama Canal cruise.

Norris

We do Norris . We didn't enjoy our first cruise on that one when          it was new . Maybe it was the Spring Break crowd or the fact that I was the odd man out with a large group of hostile women toward men . Anyhow , we miss the Pinnacle Grille Breakfasts on the newer Pinnacle Class . We prefer the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam size and dining wise .

• Like 1

There's something in OP's original post that has me confused. Is there a Pacific Coast itinerary that reaches both Alaska and Mexico? I couldn't find any on the HAL website, am wondering if it would be two back-to-back bookings we'd have to cobble together ourselves.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:22 PM, Cruise Junky said:

Doesn’t the cruise leave from Seattle?  How is Ketchikan the foreign port? 

Right. That was exactly what I was thinking. It's a round trip from Seattle, the foreign ports would be the Canadian ports. It's a mixture for sure. 😊

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Joe, Arctic on the NS (deck 7 aft Vista) is June 15, 2025 from Rotterdam (14 day sail). We have Club Orange for that one and will get to spend 4 days in Amsterdam.

Norris

Hi, Norris,

We spent a week in Amsterdam in October 2023. If you need a hotel, dining or sightseeing tips, let me know.

Jim

6 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Norris,

We spent a week in Amsterdam in October 2023. If you need a hotel, dining or sightseeing tips, let me know.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

We were in Amsterdam early June 2023 to join the Celebrity Apex to Iceland. We had 4 great days of being tourists and dining around the clock. went to the Opera, Rijksmuseum, Rembrandt Square, Flower Market etc.

We stayed in the Centrum district on a canal. In a Radisson.

583B7B98-2C20-4021-974B-2A433E5CB255_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4714a8414593d30f250b962008033ec0.jpeg

We'll do 4 more days split around our NS sailing June 15 2025. We've already picked out a different hotel which overlooks our favorite eatery seen above (called De Jaren cafe). It's next to Hotel de L'Europe which you must have seen on your visit.

Thanks for the consideration!

Norris

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks Jim.

We were in Amsterdam early June 2023 to join the Celebrity Apex to Iceland. We had 4 great days of being tourists and dining around the clock. went to the Opera, Rijksmuseum, Rembrandt Square, Flower Market etc.

We stayed in the Centrum district on a canal. In a Radisson.

583B7B98-2C20-4021-974B-2A433E5CB255_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4714a8414593d30f250b962008033ec0.jpeg

We'll do 4 more days split around our NS sailing June 15 2025. We've already picked out a different hotel which overlooks our favorite eatery seen above (called De Jaren cafe). It's next to Hotel de L'Europe which you must have seen on your visit.

Thanks for the consideration!

Norris

Hi, Norris,

We stayed at Hotel Conscious Park Tire Center (I know, it sounded weird to me as well) that is located about 30 minutes by tram from the Centraal Station (train). The staff were wonderful. The extra cost buffet breakfast was very good. Lots of dining options within 10 minutes walking distance (we are in our 80s so factor that into time).

We went to a concert at Concertgebouw for which the price was an unbelievably low-price (29 Euros) on a Saturday night. We sat in seats along the left side wall (as you face the stage) with about 6 feet of legroom and nobody sitting in front of us. It was an aisle.

If you have not seen it, try the WWII Resistance Museum (Verzetsmuseum Amsterdam: Plantage Kerklaan 61) and Zaanse Schans Tour: Prins Hendrikkade 74, 1012 AE Amsterdam which is a tour to a windmill museum. I found both on Trip Advisor.

Look for FEBO fast food outlets for a very unique dining experience. It is an automat with food served through little window compartments. I think it has limited stool seating. Better than your standard McDonald's or Burger King by far, with some local food options as well as good burgers (most under 3 Euros). I know that there is one just off Dam Square (short walk from the Royal palace/City Hall complex (to the left with your back to the Palace).

Take the historic antique tram ride around the city (about 45-60 minutes) located in/near Dam Square as well.

If you need more, let me know.

Jim

Edited by jeh10641
missing word
  • Thanks 1

I just booked this cruise October 2025. I am looking forward to seeing different ports and longer port time in Victoria.  I’m sure there will be some excursions worthy of using my onboard credit. Military, aarp, stock perks!  But mostly I am excited about the scenery and nature.  Rain or not I’m going to enjoy the beauty!  Oh and the have it all drink package.  Thanks Bimmer09 for the heads up.

• Like 4

I was reading this thread and found it interesting that some people seemed to be aghast that there may be rain on a cruise to "The Great Bear Rainforest". If rain is a problem don't visit the rainforest. Plan for rain, layer with wool, it will still keep you warm even when wet, and a light weight rain shell will keep out the wind and wet.

I'm not sure I would take this cruise, but I'm sure many would find the scenery breathtaking. Victoria is my home town, Nanaimo is a short drive north from here, I have no burning desire to visit Ketchikan again, which leaves Prince Rupert. I hope those who book this cruise have pleasant weather and many wildlife sightings.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have booked this itinerary for October 2025.  Looks really interesting. I was going to do the April cruise, but the website showed no available cabins in the area we like to book.  At least October is sooner than April.

• Like 2

I got lucky and stumbled across this thread this morning. Thanks for the heads - up. I always wanted to see the Canadian Inside Passage, but for the past few years, those have always sailed out of Vancouver. Until I get an old tax dispute with my favorite uncle resolved, I can't get a fresh passport, so Vancouver is out.  I jumped on this in a heartbeat and snagged a bump cabin for the April sailing.

I did two Alaska cruises out of Seattle in 2023, on the Westy and Eurodam, early season and late season. Both featured lectures by naturalists in the theater, in addition to the commentary provided by the Rangers while in Glacier Bay. Can't  recall if that was the case in '22.

Weather? There is no bad weather on a cruise. I got soaked in Ketchikan, sunburned in Juneau, and loved every minute of it.

Thanks again for bringing this trip  to my attention. I start reading those HAL emails....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@rbelshaw, there are 3 Canadian ports on this cruise. I'm not sure of the rules but I think Canadian border services is going to want to see a passport. Best of luck for an enjoyable voyage but maybe make sure you have the correct paperwork, you are crossing international borders.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I was reading this thread and found it interesting that some people seemed to be aghast that there may be rain on a cruise to "The Great Bear Rainforest". If rain is a problem don't visit the rainforest. Plan for rain, layer with wool, it will still keep you warm even when wet, and a light weight rain shell will keep out the wind and wet.

I'm not sure I would take this cruise, but I'm sure many would find the scenery breathtaking. Victoria is my home town, Nanaimo is a short drive north from here, I have no burning desire to visit Ketchikan again, which leaves Prince Rupert. I hope those who book this cruise have pleasant weather and many wildlife sightings.

Okay, I had this very issue in Costa Rica in February. I booked a two hour hike in a tropical rain forest from Limon and it poured for the entire hike! I did not expect that to happen. I am not being facetious. I even complained to the guide that he should be paying me to hike in the rain! He just laughed. I am aghast when all of the pictures of Costa Rica and Alaska cruise line websites have sun in the them. I want sun on my cruise! You can vacation in rain. I prefer not to.

• Haha 2

@ChinaShrek like I said the very name of the place suggests it rains there. I live in a rainy place and am aware that "rainforests" have rain. It sounds to me like a cruise to the Rainforest, be it here in British Columbia or the Amazon maybe isn't a good choice for you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@ChinaShrek like I said the very name of the place suggests it rains there. I live in a rainy place and am aware that "rainforests" have rain. It sounds to me like a cruise to the Rainforest, be it here in British Columbia or the Amazon maybe isn't a good choice for you.

I agree and that's why I am not booking this cruise. If you could guarantee me sun, I'd go. I really like Butchart Gardens. It was sunny there!

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@rbelshaw, there are 3 Canadian ports on this cruise. I'm not sure of the rules but I think Canadian border services is going to want to see a passport. Best of luck for an enjoyable voyage but maybe make sure you have the correct paperwork, you are crossing international borders.

Thanks Blackduck. I'll double check. It's never a problem in Victoria, but Victoria might be an exception. If I remember correctly, it would have been a problem during the pandemic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbelshaw said:

Thanks Blackduck. I'll double check. It's never a problem in Victoria, but Victoria might be an exception. If I remember correctly, it would have been a problem during the pandemic.

No problem, like I said I really don't know the rules. Before 911 Canadians could freely cross the border into the US and vice versa with no passport. Then the United States made new rules and that was stopped. Now almost 23 years later passports seem to be the norm.

Enjoy your cruise, just make sure you have the right paperwork. It would suck to show up at the port and get turned away. A 10 minute stop in Victoria to satisfy the PVSA is a little different than a cruise with 3 Canadian port stops.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If Ketchikan and PR entice you, you can sail RT from Vancouver on a 5 night voyage at the end of April this year on the Noordam going to both.  Although there won't be a stop in Nanaimo or Victoria, and you'll miss the inside-inside passage, the voyage will be rather similar.  And its clearly not selling well, as I've had two upgrade offers and there appear to be plenty of available cabins just one month out as well as a few price drops.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

No problem, like I said I really don't know the rules. Before 911 Canadians could freely cross the border into the US and vice versa with no passport. Then the United States made new rules and that was stopped. Now almost 23 years later passports seem to be the norm.

Enjoy your cruise, just make sure you have the right paperwork. It would suck to show up at the port and get turned away. A 10 minute stop in Victoria to satisfy the PVSA is a little different than a cruise with 3 Canadian port stops.

I think an enhanced driver's license is also valid for Canada. However, I do know if they are available in all states. I live near Seattle and have such a license.

Jim

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I agree and that's why I am not booking this cruise. If you could guarantee me sun, I'd go. I really like Butchart Gardens. It was sunny there!

Good thing you aren't in Victoria (or more accurately Brentwood Bay for Butchart Gardens). It's pouring here today. We were only out in it for a few minutes and my Tilley hat was soaked and my Gore-Tex jacket was working to the max to keep me dry. Isn't weather a wonderful thing? 😉

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Good thing you aren't in Victoria (or more accurately Brentwood Bay for Butchart Gardens). It's pouring here today. We were only out in it for a few minutes and my Tilley hat was soaked and my Gore-Tex jacket was working to the max to keep me dry. Isn't weather a wonderful thing? 😉

We had a snow storm here in Maine today. I'm getting more than a foot. Sigh

• Haha 1