Why haven't Sun Princess cabins for May been assigned?

IUSteve

I sail on Sun Princess May 18.  Made the reservation back in the fall, while ship was still being built.  I have a "DF" Deluxe Balcony.  Although my reservation is "Guaranteed," the Princess phone rep said I'll find out cabin assignment 30-60 days before cruise.  Should I be nervous?  Since the ship is now operating, I don't understand why I don't have a cabin assignment.  Thanks for any insights!    

Princess will assign your cabin when it's convenient for them, not when it's convenient for you.  Don't believe any promises made to you regarding guarantee cabins.  All a guarantee means is that you are guaranteed a cabin on the sailing you booked in a category/location that you booked or better.  It means nothing more and nothing less.

Patience is a virtue.  I booked a BF guarantee on the Enchanted last November, and 3 days before my cruise I was upgraded to an S3 Aft Penthouse.  I was already in Rome and had to get the hotel I was staying at to help me print luggage tags.

Good luck!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IUSteve said:

I sail on Sun Princess May 18.  Made the reservation back in the fall, while ship was still being built.  I have a "DF" Deluxe Balcony.  Although my reservation is "Guaranteed," the Princess phone rep said I'll find out cabin assignment 30-60 days before cruise.  Should I be nervous?  Since the ship is now operating, I don't understand why I don't have a cabin assignment.  Thanks for any insights!    

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Guaranteed cabins may be assigned as late as at the port.  

@cr8tiv1 is spot on. You can go ahead an keep checking for a guarantee assignment (I would) but try not to worry. I've never seen a report of someone with a guarantee not getting a cabin.

Our own personal experience with guarantees though was getting assigned within a week of booking but that was back in 2012. With the Sun Princess, the fact that I still can't make dinner reservations for our June 1 cruise tells me that the folks responsible for this new ship are way too busy putting out small "fires" and will probably get to things like guarantee assignments at the last minute.

For now, I'd check my personalizer every couple of days and in mid-April I'd start checking every day until I had an assignment.

• Like 2

Once got my assignment while on the flight to my cruise.  Was going in a day early and had a plane change in Chicago.  Checked my email and there was the cabin. Don’t worry at the worst they will give you a pillow and a blanket to use in one of the lifeboats.

• Haha 1

Was just about to ask a similar question. We booked a GTY mini-suite on the Enchanted Princess for May and I was curious when a cabin is likely to be assigned. I guess I should stop checking my booking multiple times a day!

23 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

@cr8tiv1 is spot on. You can go ahead an keep checking for a guarantee assignment (I would) but try not to worry. I've never seen a report of someone with a guarantee not getting a cabin.

Our own personal experience with guarantees though was getting assigned within a week of booking but that was back in 2012. With the Sun Princess, the fact that I still can't make dinner reservations for our June 1 cruise tells me that the folks responsible for this new ship are way too busy putting out small "fires" and will probably get to things like guarantee assignments at the last minute.

For now, I'd check my personalizer every couple of days and in mid-April I'd start checking every day until I had an assignment.

Thanks, as long as I know I'll get the room and class! 

It's a "DF" deluxe balcony, and there appear to be only a small number of those. 

Not only ago I had a "guaranteed" reservation for a Hilton hotel room, but showed up and was told there were no rooms, so I don't take "guarantees" as face value.

By the way, I was able to make dinner reservations for my May 18 cruise starting at least a week ago, so your time should be coming!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IUSteve said:

It's a "DF" deluxe balcony, and there appear to be only a small number of those. 

Not only ago I had a "guaranteed" reservation for a Hilton hotel room, but showed up and was told there were no rooms, so I don't take "guarantees" as face value.

By the way, I was able to make dinner reservations for my May 18 cruise starting at least a week ago, so your time should be coming!  

Hotels work slightly differently. If they do not have a room, they will find you accommodations at a sister property.  Not always ideal, but you will have a bed.  

59 minutes ago, IUSteve said:

At the Hilton did you pay in full in advance ?

I'm on the 8th June sailing, and also in the Guarantee situation. Nothing to be concerned about.

I always opt for "Guarantee", and the timing of cabin allocation varies.

Just yesterday I received the usual "Bid for an Upgrade" email, so Princess may well work through those incoming bids before they allocate Guarantee cabins.

Enjoy your cruise !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Was just about to ask a similar question. We booked a GTY mini-suite on the Enchanted Princess for May and I was curious when a cabin is likely to be assigned. I guess I should stop checking my booking multiple times a day!

When we get a cabin assignment, Princess sends an email the same day with the cabin number.