Late flight home on disembarkation day in Whittier. Looking for ideas on how to spend the day.

Elizabeth K.

Hi Folks,

I have a whole day and evening in Anchorage post Princess cruise and am wondering how to make the most of this day. I'm also wondering if Princess has a luggage transfer service to the airport. My flight is at 8:45 pm. There are no viable options for earlier flights, so I'd like to make the most of this day.

Princess offers 2 excursions for those of us that have later flights. One is Portage Glacier Scenic Cruise and the other is Turnagain Arm, Wildlife Conservation Center and Tram. From what I can tell either option will drop you at the airport or downtown Anchorage. But this is still around 3:30. I'd still have 3 ish hours before going to the airport. I also found an independent tour that will pick up at the ship and  does a scenic drive in the Portage Valley, goes to the Wildlife Conservation Center, and then to Gridwood. This one also ends around 3:30 and will take me to the airport or downtown Anchorage, but I'd have my luggage (carry-on sized roller and a backpack that attaches to the roller bag).

I have a  Anchorage Guide from the tourism center that has lots of info plus maps and tour operators so I can always contact some local companies and inquire there too.  Appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

Yes, there is that one and another named All Alaska Tours that does the same thing. I also just looked at the 26 Glacier Tour which sounds great but it ends at 6:30 pm so a bit too late. I just emailed them to see if they offer any other times.

Posted (edited)

If you get to Anchorage airport about 3:30 p.m. you can leave your luggage there. Maybe your airline will let you check in that early but if not you can leave your luggage at a luggage storage facility on the arrival level. Go to The millennium/lakefront Hotel. You can have dinner there and watch float planes take off and land. You could also go downtown. Take a 1 hour trolley tour for $25. Eat downtown. Then head back to the airport. A public bus runs every 15 or 20 minutes and a taxi or Uber will cost about $20 each way.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 1

Have you considered renting a car from Avis in Whittier that can be returned at the Avis at the airport? Then you have full control of your day and can hit the sites you want to see and also not worry about your bags because you can keep them in the car while you are touring?

Princess usually lets you keep your luggage at Egan Center until your flight.

You could rent a car in Anchorage airport and drive around (and return to Anchorage). I think renting in Whittier and dropping off in Anchorage would be expensive.

10 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Have you considered renting a car from Avis in Whittier that can be returned at the Avis at the airport? Then you have full control of your day and can hit the sites you want to see and also not worry about your bags because you can keep them in the car while you are touring?

I could literally cruise back to Vancouver for the $655 rental fee I was quoted for a one-day rental from Whittier with a drop off in Anchorage this June!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I could literally cruise back to Vancouver for the $655 rental fee I was quoted for a one-day rental from Whittier with a drop off in Anchorage this June!

I will often book B2B because it is not that much more expensive in the scope of things.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coral said:

Princess usually lets you keep your luggage at Egan Center until your flight.

You could rent a car in Anchorage airport and drive around (and return to Anchorage). I think renting in Whittier and dropping off in Anchorage would be expensive.

How do you find out about luggage storage at the Egan Center?

On 3/19/2024 at 10:47 AM, Elizabeth K. said:

Good question. Princess toll free number probably is just reading from a script. I don't think they hold luggage after the last departure from Egan Center to the ship, which is probably about 6 pm. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:47 AM, Elizabeth K. said:

You can try calling Anchorage Chamber of Commerce. I think all lines use Egan Center due to weird hours of flights.

• Like 1