Is an "on the day" deal possible ?

Hi - First time poster here and never cruised before.

We're really keen on the idea of getting a flight from UK to a port city such as Miami then just walking down to the cruise company sales offices at the port to see what they have available at last minute, whether that be day before or even on the day.

So ignoring the risk element of no guarantees of route/cabin/etc, how likely is it that companies will offer really good deals at that very late stage ?

Thanks for any advice.

15 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

Probably zero chance. I don't recall ever seeing a "sales office" either.

Right, I don't think they actually sell cruises at the port. By phone or online.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

While sometimes you can find a good deal booking a cruise at relatively last minute (e.g. less than a month or two prior to sailing), the booking avenue would be the cruise line website, telephone call center and/or a travel agent.  Cruise lines by in large don't have sales offices at the port and the folks at the port (most don't even work directly for the cruise line) are there to check in reserved passengers as opposed to selling cruises.

• Like 1

You can by tickets for one of those boats that does a three hour tour of the harbor area. But I always worry about those. What happens if the weather starts getting rough?

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, wcook said:

You can by tickets for one of those boats that does a three hour tour of the harbor area. But I always worry about those. What happens if the weather starts getting rough?

You end up with an endless tropical island vacation, complete with infinite wardrobe changes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We have met cruisers from Florida and they say they do last minute bookings because it’s easy for them to get to port etc. I know they do this through a TA or the cruise line by phone. Does anyone here know the time frame needed for that?   The way they talk I know it’s weeks, not days.  Since we book sometimes a year in advance, last minute for us would mean a month away.   I’m sure logistics these days requires the line to have time to issue tickets etc 

Posted (edited)

At a busy port like Miami or Fort Lauderdale (close enough so you could have access to both), the chances would be pretty good of finding space - but I think two days lead is minimum, and you would have to be willing to spend your whole time on shore.

For example: if you flew to South a Florida on May 1 you would have a shot at the following four  7 day cruises: May 4: Princess from Fort Lauderdale, MSC from Miami; or May 5: Celebrity from Fort Lauderdale , Carnival from .

Edited by navybankerteacher

Understood.....thanks for everyones help. Looks like that approach wouldn't work which isn't a big deal.....just trying to understand what is and isn't possible.

Most cruise lines require you to be booked by the evening before sailing.  With Carnival, you can call/book in the morning and sail in the afternoon.  Cruise lines don’t have sales offices/booths/desks like airlines do at an airport.  All booking is done online, by phone, or through a travel agency, which may be brick and mortar, online or on phone.  

• Like 1