Tender Hours for an Overnight Port

Our July cruise has an overnight in Edinburgh (Queensferry). Does anyone know how long the tenders run? Is there a time when they cease operation? I could not find an answer when I searched this site. 

Thank you to anyone who can answer my question. 

I am going by memory but I think the tenders around 1 or 2 PM went to very reduced hours.

One port they did not run very late at night (around 4 hours) until early morning.

Not a big deal - most people want to be back on board by 2 PM 😉 

1 hour ago, pschweig said:

Our July cruise has an overnight in Edinburgh (Queensferry). Does anyone know how long the tenders run? Is there a time when they cease operation? I could not find an answer when I searched this site. 

Thank you to anyone who can answer my question. 

Different cruise line (Viking) and at the other Edinburgh tender port (Newhaven), but I do know that until just before the ship arrived everyone on shore understood that tenders would run all night.  Only the day before, or perhaps even as the ship arrived on the day, was the port agent told that this had changed.  I think they stopped between about 2am & 7am.  I know that one passenger and one crew member failed to make it back that night!

Others might have direct experience of HAL, but my message would be that it can easily be different on the day.

Thank you for your replies. Our very long private tour is scheduled to return to Queensferry at 9 pm. Sounds like tenders will still be running, though fewer in number. 

I think we might be on the same sailing. I was just researching this topic myself. I found several posts that said they run all night but reduced frequency later on and mostly crew on later tenders.  However, I am thinking about booking a hotel so we can stay in town and go to pubs and have a dinner out. 

• Like 1

We were on a HAL cruise last year that overnighted at South Queensferry.  As far as I remember the tender operations were suspended between 2am and 7am.  I will have to go to my Live from thread to refresh the memory.......

15 minutes ago, pschweig said:

Thank you for your replies. Our very long private tour is scheduled to return to Queensferry at 9 pm. Sounds like tenders will still be running, though fewer in number. 

You will be fine 🙂   that’s easy.

Even in non tender ports things die down a bit.  We came to the ship at midnight after our Fado show and there was no crew there to welcome you with  cold drinks, hot towels, etc (not that we needed them).  port authorities let us through (and yes, it was one time we needed that other piece of ID) and we boarded the ship.  

Now I am just waiting for Hank to come on and say all Hal passengers are in be by 9 😂 

• Haha 3

Just now, VMax1700 said:

We were on a HAL cruise last year that overnighted at South Queensferry.  As far as I remember the tender operations were suspended between 2am and 7am.  I will have to go to my Live from thread to refresh the memory.......

That matches my memory, Coiin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

You will be fine 🙂   that’s easy.

Even in non tender ports things die down a bit.  We came to the ship at midnight after our Fado show and there was no crew there to welcome you with  cold drinks, hot towels, etc (not that we needed them).  port authorities let us through (and yes, it was one time we needed that other piece of ID) and we boarded the ship.  

Now I am just waiting for Hank to come on and say all Hal passengers are in be by 9 😂 

Oh, thank you so much for the reminder to bring ID. I’d not thought of that. 

1 minute ago, pschweig said:

Oh, thank you so much for the reminder to bring ID. I’d not thought of that. 

Your driver’s license (assuming it’s a photo) or even a photocopy of your passport pic suffices.

When booking private tours do remember that all passengers will be required to go through a face to face meeting with UK Border Force Agents before the disembarkation is permitted at your First entry port.  Looking at your itinerary this will take place at Portree (Isle of Sky).  If this (tender) port is cancelled because of weather/tide conditions then the F2F will take place at the next port.  Do allow time for this when making plans.   This can be very slow and take several hours.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

When booking private tours do remember that all passengers will be required to go through a face to face meeting with UK Border Force Agents before the disembarkation is permitted at your First entry port.  Looking at your itinerary this will take place at Portree (Isle of Sky).  If this (tender) port is cancelled because of weather/tide conditions then the F2F will take place at the next port.  Do allow time for this when making plans.   This can be very slow and take several hours.  

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

More excellent information. Hopefully, it will occur in Portree or Kirkwall, the following port. We’ve scheduled HAL shore excursions for both.