Drinks Packages

Hi All, i have never sailed with Holland America before but thinking of booking with them in next few days. The cruise i would be booking has the Signature drinks package included as part of the 'Have it All'. Am i right in thinking there is a limit to 15 drinks per day. Is this the case with all the drinks packages? Would i be able to upgrade to Elite if the was no limit on non alcoholic drinks? If this was also limited would i also be able to purchase the quench package so that I would be able to use the soft drinks as mixers for my vodka and also be able to have some coffees throughout the day. Maybe only one package can be used at one time. Any information would be grateful. Thanks again

There are many threads on drink packages around the board.

The Signature Beverage package is 15 total (alcohol and non-alcohol) drinks under $11 per day.

The Elite Beverage package is 15 alcoholic beverages under $15 per day. Non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerimay1964 said:

Signature drinks package included as part of the 'Have it All'. Am i right in thinking there is a limit to 15 drinks per day. Is this the case with all the drinks packages? Would i be able to upgrade to Elite if the was no limit on non alcoholic drinks? If this was also limited would i also be able to purchase the quench package so that I would be able to use the soft drinks as mixers for my vodka and also be able to have some coffees throughout the day.

As Bruce said, there is a limit of 15 beverages (coffee, soft drinks, alcohol) on the Signature BP (cost up to $11) and 15 alcoholic drinks (unlimited zero-proof) on the Elite BP (cost up to $15). You can upgrade ONLY on board and it costs $10pppd + 18% service charge. $11.80 pppd and both in a cabin must upgrade and for the full length of the cruise, and before buying anything on the SBP. See a bartender not server.

It's true that only one package is going to be attached to your card-key (Sail-n-Spend card!) -- but there are Beverage Cards in several denominations that some people buy and use for the cheaper items. 

There are other angles to the beverage packages. The tally is for any day that has a night, so that includes embarcation day and port days where you may be off ship for some hours. You can get unopened soft drinks and even beers on those days, and store in your fridge, which can be emptied of mini-bar contents by your cabin steward. Also your hi-ball of vodka & soda is not charged as two drinks, but priced by the alcohol in the mix. If you think you will be ordering drinks over $11@ but under $15, note that on the SBP you will be charged only the difference plus 18%. So do the math.

Finally, my husband and I generally have something in our hands -- coffee, boat drinks, wine. We have NEVER gone over the 15 beverages in a day. In fact, our favorite Crows Nest servers would often be bringing us canned water to take to our room, because they could see we had 'unused' numbers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As already mentioned, mixers do not count.  We have done several cruises with HIA (Have It All) with the Signature drinks package.  Even with cans of water, diet cokes, lattes etc wine at lunch and dinner and in between and a brandy or two before retiring, we have not hit 30 drinks between us.   

For any drink over the $11 limit you will be charged the overage plus gratuity on the overage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:51 PM, VMax1700 said:

As already mentioned, mixers do not count.  We have done several cruises with HIA (Have It All) with the Signature drinks package.  Even with cans of water, diet cokes, lattes etc wine at lunch and dinner and in between and a brandy or two before retiring, we have not hit 30 drinks between us.   

For any drink over the $11 limit you will be charged the overage plus gratuity on the overage.

Where do you get the cans of water?   Also, can you get cans of soda from the bar unopened and take them back to your room?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

Where do you get the cans of water?   Also, can you get cans of soda from the bar unopened and take them back to your room?

At any bar.  Yes, you can get cans of soda too.  

With two key cards (with HIA) I have usually been given 4 cans at a time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank everyone who replied, all the information has been so helpful. I am happy enough with the selection of drinks under $11, and if a Vodka and Soda is classified as one drink that would be perfect. It looks like the SBP will be sufficient after all😁 Looking forward to our Alaskan cruise in July. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 4:59 PM, crystalspin said:

As Bruce said, there is a limit of 15 beverages (coffee, soft drinks, alcohol) on the Signature BP (cost up to $11)

Thank you for this! I was going crazy trying to find this information on the HAL website.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Thank you for this! I was going crazy trying to find this information on the HAL website.

It's under Ship Life/Onboard Amenities

Beverage packages.jpg

Note that upgrading the HIA's Signature Package to Elite BP will cost $10+$1.80=$11.80 per person per day and both must upgrade. It must be done on board before using the SBP even once.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

Is me, or am I person that does not work out, how to get the best out of a package, or is it worth it.  I like the drinks package for peace of mind pay up front and then no worries.  I will alway have the elite package or similar on other cruise lines, because you get a better choice when ordering wine.  The only thing I take back to the cabin is a bottle of sparking water.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

It's under Ship Life/Onboard Amenities

Beverage packages.jpg

Note that upgrading the HIA's Signature Package to Elite BP will cost $10+$1.80=$11.80 per person per day and both must upgrade. It must be done on board before using the SBP even once.

When I log into my account and get to this page, I click on See Details and it requires that I log in again, which I've done. We go round and round!. I've never been able to get the the details. I haven't had time to sit on hold with Holland's IT department, so your information was very helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I click on See Details and it requires that I log in again, which I've done. We go round and round!. I've never been able to get to the details.

You are right -- mine does that too. But, the limits (price and number) are there in the top-level description. The "details" would be things like, no sharing, all in cabin must have the same level package, alcohol service may be cut off from distruptive passengers, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:08 AM, VMax1700 said:

At any bar.  Yes, you can get cans of soda too.  

With two key cards (with HIA) I have usually been given 4 cans at a time.

Are the cans of water 12 ounces?

20 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

When I log into my account and get to this page, I click on See Details and it requires that I log in again, which I've done. We go round and round!. I've never been able to get the the details. I haven't had time to sit on hold with Holland's IT department, so your information was very helpful.

The HAL secondary booking system is notoriously wonky. Call your PCC or TA and they can add it for you. The alternative is Ship Services at 800–541–1576.

• Thanks 1

What is the price of water, in bottles, in HA ships? I don't think I need a beverage package, as a non-alcoholic package for my cruise would be over 1000 euros. My cruise fare does not include any have-it-all offers and it's a 51-day cruise. Thank you so much for any information.  

33 minutes ago, paiviannika said:

What is the price of water, in bottles, in HA ships? I don't think I need a beverage package, as a non-alcoholic package for my cruise would be over 1000 euros. My cruise fare does not include any have-it-all offers and it's a 51-day cruise. Thank you so much for any information.  

Did you check the price? I have a friend on a 51 day sailing and the Signature Beverage Package was only, about $12/day for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Did you check the price? I have a friend on a 51 day sailing and the Signature Beverage Package was only, about $12/day for him.

Yes, I checked again. The Quench package is 1008$ and the Elite signature over 3000$ for one person. Pretty expensive, as I practically only drink water and fresh juices, which aren't included anyway. Maybe we in Europe have different prices, I don't know. I live in Spain and all the prices in U.S. seem terrifying 🙀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paiviannika said:

Yes, I checked again. The Quench package is 1008$ and the Elite signature over 3000$ for one person. Pretty expensive, as I practically only drink water and fresh juices, which aren't included anyway. Maybe we in Europe have different prices, I don't know. I live in Spain and all the prices in U.S. seem terrifying 🙀

In your case I would bring a few stainless refillable screw top seal water bottles and just fill them from the buffet area beverage stations. Maybe a 26 oz to have in the cabin and a 17 oz for portability. In the US they can be found online for under $10. Port cities often have them in the souvenir shops, and they are available in the ships store, but obviously cost more. Some will advocate for just using the bathroom tap water, which is perfectly fine, but if I plan on storing water for any length of time in a bottle I prefer to fill it somewhere more sanitary than a bathroom. Plus I can fill one with lemonade or one of the other beverages. I often do this even if I have a beverage package just for in room convenience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

In your case I would bring a few stainless refillable screw top seal water bottles and just fill them from the buffet area beverage stations. Maybe a 26 oz to have in the cabin and a 17 oz for portability. In the US they can be found online for under $10. Port cities often have them in the souvenir shops, and they are available in the ships store, but obviously cost more. Some will advocate for just using the bathroom tap water, which is perfectly fine, but if I plan on storing water for any length of time in a bottle I prefer to fill it somewhere more sanitary than a bathroom. Plus I can fill one with lemonade or one of the other beverages. I often do this even if I have a beverage package just for in room convenience. 

Thanks, that sounds like my best option. I have several reusable water bottles. Tap water is drinkable here in Malaga area, but the taste improves vastly with filtering. Over 1000$ for bottled water is just too much for me, the cruise itself is expensive enough.

33 minutes ago, paiviannika said:

Thanks, that sounds like my best option. I have several reusable water bottles. Tap water is drinkable here in Malaga area, but the taste improves vastly with filtering. Over 1000$ for bottled water is just too much for me, the cruise itself is expensive enough.

The tap water on the ship is produced on the ship, and is bottled water quality.

• Like 1