Arrival Rest Stay Pre Cruise Reality Question

zumbaqueen1

Hello, 

Traveling “Across The Med” Resilient Lady in October 2024.. arriving Barcelona mid afternoon Wed from USA leg .. I am not sure we will have much energy to do much sightseeing and we have embark time 2:45 Friday… stay easy Airport hotel that offers cruise shuttle to re cooperate prior to cruise or stay ? … we are in late 50s easy to please and flexible when traveling not late night party peeps lol! Thanks Mary

When we fly in the day before and want to sleep, get over jet lag, etc. we stay at the Barcelona Hotel Aeropuerto by Melia.  They have a complimentary shuttle from the airport and will happily put you in a cab to the terminal.  I'm not aware of any. hotel that has both a shuttle from the airport and to the cruise terminal,  They are near public transportation, but we didn't want to mess with that.  Good wifi, there is a restaurant, fitness center, etc. if desired.  We've also used the Best Western Airport--better restaurant selections but their airport shuttle only runs in the morning!  On our last trip we shared with a friend and got an extra large cab for 50 Euros--won't do that again,  The trip before, it was 22 Euros for a "normal" size cab which is plenty for 2....it will be more than 22 as there is a fee for the cab to enter the terminal area that VV is using now. (boo hiss).

If we are coming in and want to do tourist stuff, we stay in the Las Ramblas area.  THere is a bus from the Columbus statue  at the base of Las Ramblas to the cruise terminal but that means juggling luggage, etc.  Just get a cab from the hotel.

With a 2:45 terminal arrival time, I'd show up at 2 or a little before.  Boarding will start at 1:30.  It is not unusual for those with later times, like yours, to be able to check in and board a little earlier.  VV's recommendation is to not show up more than 30 minutes early, and that IS accurate if you have a 1:30 time...but boarding goes very quickly and once all the priority boarders are taken, you're ready to go!

• Like 1

I would stay on or near Ramblas.  With jetlag you may want to walk around anyways to stay awake until bedtime, otherwise you will be up at 3am.  Either way, you have all day Thursday free and you can tour around. Ramblas is maybe $20 ride to ship.

• Like 2

Our favorite hotel to arrive, crash, and recover in Barcelona is the Eurostars Grand Marina. It's right at the World Trade Center cruise ship port.   We'd get there 2 days ahead to R&R, and see a bit of downtown.  Our Seabourn ship was docked 30 feet from the hotel's front doors.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

The Eurostars Grand Marina looks lovely but a bit out of our price range!  LOL

Exactly--perfect location, beautiful hotel, but well beyond what I wish to spend for a clean, safe bed,

4 hours ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

The Eurostars Grand Marina looks lovely but a bit out of our price range!  LOL

It was $150 per night when we stayed there.  Don't have a clue what it is right now.  My friends stayed at the W Hotel Marina at $950 per night.  We liked $150 better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

Thank you all for the input.... any specific Ramblas hotel recommendations?  Has anyone ever heard of Praktik Bakery for a stay?  Thanks again! Mary

We are staying at Casa Camper for our next cruise in October.  We have stayed there before.  It is right next to Las Ramblas.  They do complimentary snacks 24 hours a day.  The rooms are funky as you have two.  One of your rooms has your bed and bathroom and then you have a second room across the hall which is like a lounge area and it has a hammock.  

https://www.casacamper.com/en/barcelona/hotel.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes! Just for kicks, I did a sample booking for early October 2024. The Eurostars costs a whopping $421 a night! No, thanks. We do love Barcelona, but there are definitely cheaper options out there.

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:02 PM, raphael360 said:

It was $150 per night when we stayed there.  Don't have a clue what it is right now.  My friends stayed at the W Hotel Marina at $950 per night.  We liked $150 better.

When I looked it up it was about 900 for two nights… we now have booked with Hotel Continental Barcelona.  I am really not sure how jet lag will affect us but I am hoping to get tickets to La Sagrada on Thursday prior to cruise Friday.. goal is feeling great for cruise 😊