A comparison of our Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises

Schplinky -- your posts on the RCCL board are helping to us to get to know you for the Jan. 21, 2007 Mariner cruise that we will all do together. Enjoyed your comparisions.

MACOP -- Your comparision of the perks for Diamond vs Elite were very helpful. we just made Diamond and I'm looking forward to them. Sounds like we don't get as much if we go with the X. This figured in my booking Serenade instead of Infinity for Alaska this summer.

Macop,

I agree with most of what you have said. The discount on balconies is great on RCCL. Nothing like that on Celebrity.

During the Captain's party or other cocktail parties we have been invited to as Elite members, we have been able to get whatever drink we wanted. It wasn't on the tray so we asked if we could have xyz and the waiters said yes.

To the poster about a charge for the buffet at night, the $2.00 is a tip. I guess that doesn't bother me at all. Probably , my guess, those waiters don't get part of the regular tips. Celebrity is pricing itself out of the average cruisers budget and that might be their way of thinking. We became Diamond on RCCL because we have sailed many, many Celebrity cruises. I think they gave us, as well as many many other Diamond on RCCL so that they could attract a far more afluent group of cruisers. If that's so, it is kind of sad as I started on Celebrity in the early 80's and have touted them as being the best cruiseline.

Now, we are looking forward to our Brilliance as we did sail on a couple of RCCL ships previously, many years ago, so waiting to see what's in store for us. All reports are great, so we are enthusiastically looking forward to this trip.

Good review. My DW and I are Diamond members but split our travel between X and RCCL, as well as HAL. We have never paid for a buffet on X. We choose the Windjammer or Palm Springs Cafe every other night, as we don't enjoy eating a large meal at every dinner. We have had good and fair dinners on both lines, depending on who is the Executive Chef at that sailing.

Rick

To the poster about a charge for the buffet at night, the $2.00 is a tip. I guess that doesn't bother me at all. Probably , my guess, those waiters don't get part of the regular tips.

That may be but I don't like it. I much prefer tipping the staff myself.

so we were on Summit this past November, at the Officer's party, as did others near us we order a Cosmo for me & strawberry daquiri for my DH & we got a bill! We both stated drinks are free at the party & were told it is only rum punch & yellow birds, wine, beer. Special drinks we pay for. Robert, the Safety Director who wrote the accident report for my left foot damage from Summit's gangway in Alculpoco, told him to write it off for special guests. He & my husband made a great chair for me with their arms, as they carried me back to our stateroom.

Macop,

I agree with most of what you have said. The discount on balconies is great on RCCL. Nothing like that on Celebrity.

During the Captain's party or other cocktail parties we have been invited to as Elite members, we have been able to get whatever drink we wanted. It wasn't on the tray so we asked if we could have xyz and the waiters said yes.

To the poster about a charge for the buffet at night, the $2.00 is a tip. I guess that doesn't bother me at all. Probably , my guess, those waiters don't get part of the regular tips. Celebrity is pricing itself out of the average cruisers budget and that might be their way of thinking. We became Diamond on RCCL because we have sailed many, many Celebrity cruises. I think they gave us, as well as many many other Diamond on RCCL so that they could attract a far more afluent group of cruisers. If that's so, it is kind of sad as I started on Celebrity in the early 80's and have touted them as being the best cruiseline.

Now, we are looking forward to our Brilliance as we did sail on a couple of RCCL ships previously, many years ago, so waiting to see what's in store for us. All reports are great, so we are enthusiastically looking forward to this trip.

Our RCCL Jewel OS cruise 5/14 was a total of $7100 including taxes, port charges & RT air. Celebrity has the same itinerary for $8,000 per person! That was for their Concierge Class, with thick robes, rugs in the bathroom, thick egyptian towels, flowers in vases in bathroom & living room, an ice bucket with bottle of champagne awaiting your arrival & they want $1000 more than a 2C verandah.

$8000 - wow! Aunt and Uncle are on the 5/6 Constellation Baltic. Checked with them today - their fare for CC cabin is $3600 pp. Did not book air thru X - they are using ff miles. Sounds like X has huge variations in the fares they are quoting!

• 4 weeks later...

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are both owned by the same company. I booked a Celebrity Cruise because Royal Caribbean said they weren't doing the Canada/New England Cruise in 2006 and recommended their sister-line Celebrity. Then in January 2006, RCCL announced they would be doing a Canada/New England cruise. I was very upset as the CC cabin I booked on Celebrity cost $1000 more than what we could do the RCCL cruise for. I sent them an email that I thought it was a bait and switch tactic just to get cruisers to book the more expensive cruise. They responded that they didn't necessarily know in advance what the itineraries will be, and they are sorry that I'm upset. So early planning doesn't necessarily save you money.

Thank you for posting this comparison. We have just reached Diamond status and enjoy RCI ships but have begun wondering if we're missing something by not cruising with Celebrity. I was almost tempted to book our January '07 cruise on Millenium but chose Jewel instead. Your post has confirmed I made the right choice based on our preferences. Many thanks!

I think that comparing Jewel to Connie is more apples to apples than Navigator to Connie. Frankly, I do not care for RCI's Voyager class and much prefer the Radiance class of ships. They are beautiful and very similar to Celebrity's M class, although there are fewer passengers on X on the same size ship. They never feel crowded.

As a Diamond Member, it is hard to beat the Concierge Lounge and X does not offer anything that comes close.

IME, the food and service on X has been significantly better than on RCI, though I love Portofino. Also, I agree that pax are more nicely dressed which I greatly prefer; it is just more upscale. And X has WAY fewer kids, a huge selling point for me personally. TAqua Spa cafe is where I have breakfast and lunch every day on X; RCI does not have anything like it. Yes, there are always trade offs.

That being said, RCI has much better nightlife and fitness programs.

These days, I look for more of an upscale cruising experience like I used to enjoy with RCI (Song of America, Sun Viking). For me, X works very well. It is a matter of priorities.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are both owned by the same company. I booked a Celebrity Cruise because Royal Caribbean said they weren't doing the Canada/New England Cruise in 2006 and recommended their sister-line Celebrity. Then in January 2006, RCCL announced they would be doing a Canada/New England cruise. I was very upset as the CC cabin I booked on Celebrity cost $1000 more than what we could do the RCCL cruise for. I sent them an email that I thought it was a bait and switch tactic just to get cruisers to book the more expensive cruise. They responded that they didn't necessarily know in advance what the itineraries will be, and they are sorry that I'm upset. So early planning doesn't necessarily save you money.

Why didn't you just transfer your booking? If it happened in January, you likely weren't up to the final payment yet.

Archived