HAL transportation in South Queensferry - is it offered?

I know I can possibly put this into the port forum and will pop over there after this but I am wondering if anyone has visited Edinburgh and tendered in South Queensferry? If so, is there HAL provided transportation into the main part of the city and if so, was there a fee? Or do we need to rely on public transportation and taxis?

I know when we were in Dubrovnik a number of years ago there was a shuttle that we could purchase a day pass for about $10 pp for unlimited trips from the ship to the city area.

I have looked on our booking but can not see anything and am trying to make plans for our upcoming cruise. Thanks for any insight or info.

Last year there was no HAL transport, nor was there in 2017 when I was there. The local bus (99?) is inexpensive and easy to take. The bus stops about a 10 or 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile. I recall there is a more specific thread on the port-specific board. I have also taken a cab from the tender landing right to the castle. Obviously more expensive, but also more convenient!

8 hours ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

I know I can possibly put this into the port forum and will pop over there after this but I am wondering if anyone has visited Edinburgh and tendered in South Queensferry? If so, is there HAL provided transportation into the main part of the city and if so, was there a fee? Or do we need to rely on public transportation and taxis?

I know when we were in Dubrovnik a number of years ago there was a shuttle that we could purchase a day pass for about $10 pp for unlimited trips from the ship to the city area.

I have looked on our booking but can not see anything and am trying to make plans for our upcoming cruise. Thanks for any insight or info.

Local bus x99 greeted us at the port with bag pipes! They make it so simple and hospitable to get to the city center. We were there last April-May. Highly recommend! 

• Like 1

HAL do not run a transportation service.  The bus is just at the pier and there are a few taxis available.  Tendering can be slow, depending on tidal conditions.

I took the X99 last year.  Staff and busses waiting for you. Great service. They offer  a deal too for tickets on the Red Bus Edinburgh city tour which is  great way to see the city in the limited time available.  

• 1 month later...

I have a follow up regarding the X99. My mom drives a mobility scooter but reading their site, it appears they will not allow them - they allow wheelchairs but not scooters (do not get me started on this as she cant really walk any distance and thus uses the scooter, but is prohibited because she isnt in a wheelchair - the scooter gives her freedom). Does anyone have any other suggestions for her and my dad?

We will likely do the X99, but looking for other options for them. Thanks

If this is a tender port, she won’t be able to get off the ship easily. HAL doesn’t permit wheelchairs or scooters on the tender. I have seen a few walkers that fold up on a tender, but never a scooter or wheelchair. The issue is getting on and off the tender. If someone isn’t mobile, they can’t get on a tender. 

On some ships, one must walk down a flight of stairs to access the tender. Perhaps others have more advice regarding mobility issues and tenders??

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

HAL doesn’t permit wheelchairs or scooters on the tender. I have seen a few walkers that fold up on a tender, but never a scooter or wheelchair. The issue is getting on and off the tender. If someone isn’t mobile, they can’t get on a tender. 

I have seen walkers, rollators, scooters and wheelchairs on tenders. It is up to the Captain/crew whether or not it is safe for mobility devices to board tenders on a given day. Here is the FAQ section from HAL:

For individuals with limited mobility, the use of a wheelchair will be the primary mobility assistance aid for getting on and off the ship. Certain ship transfer operations (i.e. during tendering and at the gangways) may not be fully accessible to wheelchairs or scooters. When a ship is unable to dock, guests are taken ashore on smaller boats called tenders. Some guests with limited mobility may find it difficult to embark or disembark the ship at certain times while tendering or while docked due to steep gangways and steps, particularly during low or high tide. Also, please note that scooters and wheelchairs which are more than 100 lbs. without the battery are not allowed to be transferred from the ship to tender and/or from tender to shore. Follow this link to view the Tender list by port.

As to tenders, with the exception of the Volendam, Holland America Line vessels have been retrofitted with a tender-lift system that enables guests to roll directly on and off tenders while remaining in their wheelchairs. However, please be advised that adverse weather conditions such as wind, swells, or extreme tide levels may prohibit the use of the ship's tender lift equipment. Additionally, some port facilities may not be able to accommodate the lift equipment. If you require the use of this equipment, please speak with the Guest Relations Manager upon embarkation for further details or to coordinate specific arrangements.

Situations may occur in which guests with limited mobility may not be able to go ashore at the time they desire or are unable to go ashore at all in certain ports. For the safety of all concerned, the Captain shall make the final determination regarding whether or not it is advisable to provide assistance to guests with mobility limitations, or to carry their mobility assistance device (wheelchair, scooter, walker, etc.), taking into account all appropriate matters including, but not limited to, weather conditions, ship's location, weight of the guest or their mobility device, etc.

• Like 1