Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

On 4/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, DaKahuna said:

I take it you have been to Volcano's National Park? I have been told walking along the volcano flows there is breathtaking. 

The military has a recreation center there where you can rent cabins.  I am thinking of going there for a day or two next time we visit the islands. 

One of our best experiences was Volcano National Park (2 days before the eruption in 2019. We’re doing the military cabins in June

• Like 3

On 4/5/2024 at 3:20 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Now we have 5 hours to kill.  

First of my agenda was to find a Pharmacy.  My back was still dodgy but feeling better.   Last time we were here our friends told us the best Chemist (Pharmacy) is Chemist Warehouse on Pitt Street -  about 1/2 mile away.    They did not disappoint.

I found a really good back brace and got some Advil.   We ripped open the box outside and I took the Advil Liquid Pills and put on the Brace.   Perfect and no more pain. 

Arnica Gel…always have some in my travel pack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debfed65 said:

Do we need to change funds into AUD, or like any large city, are USD or CAD widely accepted? What is your opinion?  We will use our VISA for dinners, but just curious for shopping at The Rocks and coffee shops etc...

USD & CAD are not used in Australia, you'd have to get them converted at a bank or traveller exchange (plus conversion fee).  Widely used are credit cards (though American Express is not acceptable in some restaurants instead they prefer Mastercard or Visa).  It's only very rarely that I carry cash with me instead I just use my cards (and after Covid-19 some places prefer credit cards over cash).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Love the clocks at QVC

IMG_3452.thumb.jpeg.1d30caf3599a2f59903cf574ea07c837.jpeg

This brings back memories, I used to wander around the QVB (Queen Victoria Building) during my lunch break & loved seeing the clock strike the hour when the trumpeters and scenes would be displayed & lit up.  The QVB also serves high teas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

You better pick up some Australian dollars as they won’t accept US or Canadian dollars. 

Enjoy your cruise…

18 minutes ago, FeebeeH said:

USD & CAD are not used in Australia, you'd have to get them converted at a bank or traveller exchange (plus conversion fee).  Widely used are credit cards (though American Express is not acceptable in some restaurants instead they prefer Mastercard or Visa).  It's only very rarely that I carry cash with me instead I just use my cards (and after Covid-19 some places prefer credit cards over cash).

Thank you both for replying! It is appreciated 😊

I was just wondering if  AUD cash was better for the Saturday Market at the Rocks with the local vendors. 

Edited by debfed65

6 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

I was just wondering if  AUD cash was better for the Saturday Market at the Rocks with the local vendors. 

You can use it if you have some but cards are just as easily used.  I've used credit cards with the Rocks vendors, the ones I've made purchases with have all had the square money readers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/3/2024 at 4:42 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Come along on my daily walk --

This is me waving as you pass my building - 410 N Mary (Mary Three)!  Nice walk. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, debfed65 said:

When we were there in 2022, we brought some AUD from a prior trip. And we came home with the same AUD as credit cards were accepted everywhere, including at the small vendors like you're talking about. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

I’m so glad to have a Jim & Iain treasure to follow while I recover from my February fall while on Silhouette (rushing to helipad & biffed it big time). I’m having a reverse shoulder replacement next week. Had to delay my surgery as hubs just had detached retina surgery (on same day he was supposed to have gallbladder surgery!  His gallbladder is now this week). Getting older is not for the faint of heart!!

thank you for the great list of audiobooks…we’ll both be using this list while we recover. Safe journey & can’t wait for more great posts!  Melody

Had a reverse should replacement the end of January.  Still in PT but much easier than my rotator cuff repair on the same shoulder.  Hang in there.

Jim - QVC was my fav place to roam.  Amazing works of art.  And yes, the clocks were fascinating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alfiemom said:

Had a reverse should replacement the end of January.  Still in PT but much easier than my rotator cuff repair on the same shoulder.  Hang in there.

Jim - QVC was my fav place to roam.  Amazing works of art.  And yes, the clocks were fascinating.

Thanks!  I had rotator cuff repair on same shoulder in 2011. Good to know it was easier!!!

• Like 1

Maybe a dumb question,  and maybe it was already mentioned,  but what is QVC? Looks awesome,  and the TP is on my radar for 2026 to celebrate my retirement. 

Love virtually traveling with you!!

• Like 3

@debfed65 When I was last in Australia I found it very convenient to just go to an ATM and take our cash vs having to go into a bank.  Also as @FeebeeH said, using Visa or MasterCard work just like it does here in the US. Most credit cards these days do not charge foreign transaction fees but you may want to make sure yours does not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Jim_Iain As usual, I am thoroughly enjoying your pictures.  I think they are amazing.  You have an eye for composition and color that makes me very jealous. 

p.s. 19 pages and you have yet to set foot on the ship!  Just shows how strong of a CC following you have. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 7:10 AM, upwarduk said:

Very wet winter in the Pennines.

We had similar weather in Australia in January 2008- wet. I was so disappointed as I had hoped for heat in their mid summer.

Coincidence, we arrived in Perth middle of February 2008 after a week in Singapore, spent the next 6 weeks travelling across the country on a bucket list land vacation returning via LA where we stayed with friends. We were blessed with great weather everywhere we went apart from a short heavy burst of rain one morning in Brisbane. I suppose we were lucky.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, awhfy said:

I’m so glad to have a Jim & Iain treasure to follow while I recover from my February fall while on Silhouette (rushing to helipad & biffed it big time). I’m having a reverse shoulder replacement next week. Had to delay my surgery as hubs just had detached retina surgery (on same day he was supposed to have gallbladder surgery!  His gallbladder is now this week). Getting older is not for the faint of heart!!

thank you for the great list of audiobooks…we’ll both be using this list while we recover. Safe journey & can’t wait for more great posts!  Melody

My wife had that same shoulder surgery after a fall off one step onto a carpeted landing at a  theatre back home between Christmas and New Year. Operated on mid January, just about now getting back to normal, especially now she is able to drive again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minorhawk said:

Maybe a dumb question,  and maybe it was already mentioned,  but what is QVC? Looks awesome,  and the TP is on my radar for 2026 to celebrate my retirement. 

Love virtually traveling with you!!

It’s actually officially QVB,  the Queen Victoria Building. It’s a fantastic shopping mall

• Like 6

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Vanessa...Feel better soon! Back issues are rough..and all too common. Hope all goes well.

Jim...The shapes, vibrant  colors, geometrics and perspectives of the last series of photos are amazing!  Like an art exhibition..just for us!

Bon Voyage!

The QVC is an amazing building.  In was built in 1898 and was designed by George McRAe a 28 Year old Architect.  At the time of construction Sydney was in a sever recession.   The Government intentionally planned the grand project to Honor the long reining queen to employ tradesmen, artists, stonemasons, plasterers and stained window artists.

I could have spent hours inside.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Hello from Toronto 🇨🇦   We are thoroughly enjoying your report, love all the pictures & details you have provided. We are arriving on Friday to board Edge for the TP.  Do we need to change funds into AUD, or like any large city, are USD or CAD widely accepted? What is your opinion?  We will use our VISA for dinners, but just curious for shopping at The Rocks and coffee shops etc...

Thank you, and enjoy your travels across the Pacific!  Your itinerary looks amazing!

Debbie & Ron

Sydney is a wonderful modern city and like many places around the world Covid was probably responsible for a cashless world.    We don't have a cent in Australian with us and haven't needed any cash.    I use ApplePay while at home as well as when traveling and it is accepted almost everywhere. 

You can use it as well as chipped cards on the Trains, Busses and trams.   Just click on and click off.  

All shops we have been in... including convenience stores and coffee shops all have chip enabled payment terminals.

One thing I like in Australia as well as most of Europe is when dining they bring a handheld charge machine to your table and your CC never leaves you hand.  Unlike in America where you CC disappears into the backroom when you pay.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, bluwes said:

It’s actually officially QVB,  the Queen Victoria Building. It’s a fantastic shopping mall

Thank you for showing the correct name. I didn’t want to seem like a pernickety local by pointing out the typo. It is a beautiful shopping centre right in the centre of the city and Iain’s photos show it in all its glory. 

Edited by Boatharbour
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, awhfy said:

Hope you all recover quickly.    Getting old is a Bitc* but it's better than the alternative.   I know the exact vertebrae that caused me the problem.     I did it once before in same place.    I had never believed in Chiropractic but was in so much pain - my doctor said it was muscle/skeleton in nature and sent me to on.    About 5 sessions and pain was gone and not to return.  He said I was out of alignment and was pinching a nerve due to compression.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Justpackingmybags said:

Loving the photos from Sydney!

I'm sure many others will agree with me.  Sydney is beautiful.   I'm especially impressed by the cleanliness of the streets and lack of homeless, graffiti and trash.   They have done such an incredible job of developing the full harbor front.  

San Francisco shall I sail fails on all of these attributes. 

• Like 8