Need coffee geek opinion - how good is the coffee on Apex?

On 4/16/2024 at 4:12 AM, buzz031 said:

We are currently on the Reflection. I haven’t had a good cup of coffee yet (I usually make americanos at home) until last night when I asked for Baileys in my americano. Solved my problem immediately. 🤣

The Al Baccio Expresso Martinis are very good also...

30 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Both times I cruised with Celebrity the coffee shop would just continually pull single shots into the paper cups, leave them sitting, and then when there was an order they would just add whatever to the cup, add milk, water, ice, etc. and there you go.  When I ordered a double shot (cause the 1 shot is crazy weak) they would just pour a pre-pulled shot from one cup into another.  

The coffee shops on Virgin have been pretty consistent and quite good. Ocassionaly they have a bit of a coffee snob attitude but at least they know how to make a latte! haha. 

You mean like a Starbucks latte?  They can’t even make a cappuccino right at Starbucks.  Everything is 1% coffee and 99% milk.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You mean like a Starbucks latte?  They can’t even make a cappuccino right at Starbucks.  Everything is 1% coffee and 99% milk.

Starbucks Tall = 1 Shot, Grande or Venti = 2 Shots. 

If you can find a Starbucks with the Reserve Coffees and the Clover you can get an amazing cup of coffee at Starbucks. 

1 hour ago, Travel-and-See said:

Starbucks Tall = 1 Shot, Grande or Venti = 2 Shots. 

If you can find a Starbucks with the Reserve Coffees and the Clover you can get an amazing cup of coffee at Starbucks. 

I go to Starbucks around the world.  Not because they’re great.  But because they are consistent.  In Europe I prefer local places.  I have been to Starbucks in Asia.

2 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

Both times I cruised with Celebrity the coffee shop would just continually pull single shots into the paper cups, leave them sitting, and then when there was an order they would just add whatever to the cup, add milk, water, ice, etc. and there you go. 

I have to say that I have never experienced this.  I have always received coffee so hot that I had to ask that it be double cupped as well as adding a sleeve to it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I go to Starbucks around the world.  Not because they’re great.  But because they are consistent.  In Europe I prefer local places.  I have been to Starbucks in Asia.

So you know what the Reserve coffees are correct?  Those are quite good.  

I'm the same way... I go to Starbucks cause they are consistent, I actually feel guilty for not supporting my local coffee shop and going to Starbucks but they make it so easy.

What cruise line gets coffee the best for you? 

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have to say that I have never experienced this.  I have always received coffee so hot that I had to ask that it be double cupped as well as adding a sleeve to it. 

What do you usually order? 

3 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

So you know what the Reserve coffees are correct?  Those are quite good.  

I'm the same way... I go to Starbucks cause they are consistent, I actually feel guilty for not supporting my local coffee shop and going to Starbucks but they make it so easy.

Celebrity is acceptable.  And I think Al Bacio is not bad at all.  I prefer Peet’s to Starbucks but now I have to do mail order or buy at the grocery.

I once traveled across Russia and China with an aeropress and a pound of ground Peet’s House Blend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

Both times I cruised with Celebrity the coffee shop would just continually pull single shots into the paper cups, leave them sitting, and then when there was an order they would just add whatever to the cup, add milk, water, ice, etc. and there you go.  When I ordered a double shot (cause the 1 shot is crazy weak) they would just pour a pre-pulled shot from one cup into another.  

The coffee shops on Virgin have been pretty consistent and quite good. Ocassionaly they have a bit of a coffee snob attitude but at least they know how to make a latte! haha. 

Can verify that this is exactly what happens. I have seen 5-6 paper cup "shots" sitting on the counter waiting for a customer...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

MSC -- some of the best coffee I've had at sea.  I am not talking about espresso or cappuccino but regular coffee americano.  

13 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

What do you usually order? 

Coffee americano with Bailey's.  

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

I prefer Peet’s to Starbucks

Agree.  Pete's is much better. 

13 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Can verify that this is exactly what happens. I have seen 5-6 paper cup "shots" sitting on the counter waiting for a customer...

As I said, I cannot recall ever seeing them but I will make an effort to look on our next cruise..  

I am wondering if this is something that happens in the early morning when there is usually a queue of people wanting that first cup of coffee or is this something observed throughout the day.  We seldom visit Cafe al Bacio in the mornings.  Rather we usually go there mid morning or mid day when it generally is not very busy. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not talking about espresso or cappuccino but regular coffee americano.  

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Coffee americano with Bailey's.  

So an Americano traditionally has espresso - if you are getting a regular coffee with baileys, that would be coming from a coffee pot and would be very hot.  It's the espresso shots that are pre-pulled and sit on the counter. 

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

As I said, I cannot recall ever seeing them but I will make an effort to look on our next cruise..  

I am wondering if this is something that happens in the early morning when there is usually a queue of people wanting that first cup of coffee or is this something observed throughout the day.  We seldom visit Cafe al Bacio in the mornings.  Rather we usually go there mid morning or mid day when it generally is not very busy. 

I’ve seen this on Princess at International Cafe. Only they didn’t do a shot per cup, rather a big amount and they just eyeballed how much espresso to tip into my cappuccino. Wasn’t good. Ever.

6 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

So an Americano traditionally has espresso - if you are getting a regular coffee with baileys, that would be coming from a coffee pot and would be very hot.  It's the espresso shots that are pre-pulled and sit on the counter. 

In every case I can remember when I get an Americano with Bailey's at Cafe al Bacio they have made the expresso there on the spot, added water, and then added the Bailey's.  I usually watch them do it.  I cannot recall seeing a pot of coffee at Cafe al Bacio but then again I've never looked. 

On 4/16/2024 at 8:04 PM, DaKahuna said:

I always ask for Bailey's when I order coffee on an Celebrity ship (Royal Caribbean too), even at breakfast.  They usually bring it to me in a high ball glass and I can get two cups of coffee out of the amount they put in the glass.

Try a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream with a shot of Bailey's poured over it.  Delicious. 

Agreed..

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

In every case I can remember when I get an Americano with Bailey's at Cafe al Bacio they have made the expresso there on the spot, added water, and then added the Bailey's.  I usually watch them do it.  I cannot recall seeing a pot of coffee at Cafe al Bacio but then again I've never looked. 

I’ve never seen pre made shots either…

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

That makes sense. Maybe you just got lucky on your trips. I can only speak for the 2 I've taken. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just got off Celebrity Edge, thought I'd report on the coffee situation.

I never saw pre-pulled shots at Al Bacio. I also never got coffee there since I'm a single origin snob.

I didn't bother to ask my room attendant for a kettle. I ground beans I brought with me every morning and used hot water from the dispensers in the cafe to make a pour over. Worked great.

For the times I was too lazy to do that I just got the Lavazza from the cafe and added enough cream and sugar to make it drinkable.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, snohorules said:

Just got off Celebrity Edge, thought I'd report on the coffee situation.

I never saw pre-pulled shots at Al Bacio. I also never got coffee there since I'm a single origin snob.

I didn't bother to ask my room attendant for a kettle. I ground beans I brought with me every morning and used hot water from the dispensers in the cafe to make a pour over. Worked great.

For the times I was too lazy to do that I just got the Lavazza from the cafe and added enough cream and sugar to make it drinkable.

I traveled with a pound of coffee and an aeropress around Russia and China 30 years ago,  What place do you get your beans from?

For those into different and excellent coffee, I highly recommend George Howell coffee in MA. They do mail order. My coffee hangout during my collage days in the mid 70's was a place called The Coffee Connection in Cambridge, MA. It was started by George Howell and was one of the first great coffee shops in the Northeast US. They procured and displayed - with the story of their origin - a wide variety of coffee beans from around the world. They set a roasting date and fresh ground the beans for French press, espresso, or drip.  Unfortunately, for fans of the coffee served and the vibe experienced, it was sold to Starbucks some time ago. Fortunately, George emerged (probably after a non compete?) and sells via the internet and has also opened up some coffee shops that I have not had the opportunity to visit. 

I don't sail for the coffee and find Al Bacio coffee fine, especially the ones with whiskey added.

17 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I don't sail for the coffee and find Al Bacio coffee fine, especially the ones with whiskey added.

An Aspen a day makes for a good cruise. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, billc23 said:

For those into different and excellent coffee, I highly recommend George Howell coffee in MA. They do mail order. My coffee hangout during my collage days in the mid 70's was a place called The Coffee Connection in Cambridge, MA. It was started by George Howell and was one of the first great coffee shops in the Northeast US. They procured and displayed - with the story of their origin - a wide variety of coffee beans from around the world. They set a roasting date and fresh ground the beans for French press, espresso, or drip.  Unfortunately, for fans of the coffee served and the vibe experienced, it was sold to Starbucks some time ago. Fortunately, George emerged (probably after a non compete?) and sells via the internet and has also opened up some coffee shops that I have not had the opportunity to visit. 

What is his “philosophy”?  Because I love Peet’s, but at first it seemed to be dark roast for everything.  That’s changed now.

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is his “philosophy”?  Because I love Peet’s, but at first it seemed to be dark roast for everything.  That’s changed now.

Check out his website. Very different than the current Peet's coffee but Peet's, or I say lack of Peet's in the Northeast circa 1970's, was part of his inspiration.