Meraviglia ghost lights?

kernie968

On the Meraviglia right now and wondered if anyone could give me a suggestion that might solve our problem. The lights by the beds decide to turn on by themselves and will not turn off. Guest services didn't send anyone the first time I complained they just had the room steward show me how to rub the buttons on the lights to make them go off. That's fine but I really don't feel like rubbing lights at 1AM  then 2AM. The second time they sent a maintenance worker who showed me the same thing. Obviously they do not have a solution so I hope someone here has encountered this situation and found a solution.

Rub the buttons? Are they buttons or sensors? If they are buttons fold a piece of paper into a wedge shape and jam it in the activated off switch or use tape?. For the life of me i can't even remember what cruise line i was on but i had a lamp go off and on when a half filled tall 1 liter bottle of water was near it. When the sea got rough the water would move inside the bottle and trigger the sensor i guess. If it is a sensor i wouldn't put anything on that little table. Or put a piece of paper over the off sensor-or would it be the on sensor? And button or sensor maybe you just have a faulty unit or wiring etc... Maybe i shouldn't say just or only about any possible wiring problem. 

They are sensor, but nothing is near them. If they turned on and I could just touch the button to turn them off it wouldn't be so bad, but to have to rub them for 20 seconds to go off is annoying. Others in the group said it is happening to their lights. I was told that humidity makes them turn on.

48 minutes ago, kernie968 said:

They are sensor, but nothing is near them. If they turned on and I could just touch the button to turn them off it wouldn't be so bad, but to have to rub them for 20 seconds to go off is annoying. Others in the group said it is happening to their lights. I was told that humidity makes them turn on.

20 seconds of rubbing should have evoked the genie to come out of the lamp, then one of your wishes could have been to keep the light off.

• Haha 2

Take the key card out of the slot when you go to bed. Light by the door will still work as well as the TV and fridge. Yes, not perfect solution but you don't want to chafe when rubbing so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

Take the key card out of the slot when you go to bed. Light by the door will still work as well as the TV and fridge. Yes, not perfect solution but you don't want to chafe when rubbing so much.

Years ago i was in a NCL Epic solo cabin and did that because there were so many darn purple lights and led light strings. On the cruise i got very sick. I finally realized i was better during the day and always got worse overnight. The air wasn't circulating and filtering because no card and caused it. Or maybe had something in the bedding.

Huh, I have sailed in several different cabins on the Meraviglia and have never had this issue. Is it both lights or just one of them? I hope you can come up with a solution! I would say the keycard trick is your best bet.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Huh, I have sailed in several different cabins on the Meraviglia and have never had this issue. Is it both lights or just one of them? I hope you can come up with a solution! I would say the keycard trick is your best bet.

It is both lights, but not always at the same time. I did go to guest services and ask to speak to the hotel manager. They told me he would call me.   Of course he hasn't called yet and it has been 8 hours. I asked them if they really wanted me to go on every cruise forum and complain about the ship and I got a shoulder shrug. Lol.

2 hours ago, kernie968 said:

It is both lights, but not always at the same time. I did go to guest services and ask to speak to the hotel manager. They told me he would call me.   Of course he hasn't called yet and it has been 8 hours. I asked them if they really wanted me to go on every cruise forum and complain about the ship and I got a shoulder shrug. Lol.

That is just so weird. I haven't seen that malfunction in even one light on the Meraviglia in something like 5 different cabins now and you have it happening in two separate lights.

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That is just so weird. I haven't seen that malfunction in even one light on the Meraviglia in something like 5 different cabins now and you have it happening in two separate lights.

We had it with one light on our cruise.  I don't remember what I did to make it stop.  I know we didn't use that light since all my bedtime reading is on my kindle. But as part of turn down service, the stewardess turned them on each night.  I think taking the key card out of the slot and putting it back in to reset the room lights worked.  Maybe try that after you have...um...rubbed the lights off (said no one ever).  

• Haha 1