Dining Package Reservations

Have there been any updates to allowing dining reservations on the app when you purchase a dining package.  in the past, if you had a package, they made you a reservation for the first night and you had to wait until onboard to make any remaining reservations.  At one time i heard they were going to update the app and allow those with dining packages to make reservations ahead of time.  Any word on if/when this might be available.

6 minutes ago, villagenut said:

Have there been any updates to allowing dining reservations on the app when you purchase a dining package.  in the past, if you had a package, they made you a reservation for the first night and you had to wait until onboard to make any remaining reservations.  At one time i heard they were going to update the app and allow those with dining packages to make reservations ahead of time.  Any word on if/when this might be available.

I am booked on ovation 5-31-24 and rcl emailed me today to tell me I could book entertainment.  When I looked, specialty restaurants were also there to me booked.  Not sure if mine opened because we are 50something days out or if it opened for others further out.  

5 hours ago, miyanc said:

I am booked on ovation 5-31-24 and rcl emailed me today to tell me I could book entertainment.  When I looked, specialty restaurants were also there to me booked.  Not sure if mine opened because we are 50something days out or if it opened for others further out.  

You’ve always been able to book restaurants online if you pay for them individually.

But to my knowledge there’s been no movement on the plan to roll out advance booking for people with dining packages.

10 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

You’ve always been able to book restaurants online if you pay for them individually.

But to my knowledge there’s been no movement on the plan to roll out advance booking for people with dining packages.

Good point. I didn't think about that.  I have always booked the 3 night package.  I wouldn't have checked individual.  

Posted (edited)

In our experience, most recently Oasis NYE, the dining packages are held with a day 1 one or 2 placeholder reservation when purchased to then be booked on board.  After we board, we typically go to any of the specialty restaurants (often the one with the placeholder) to talk with the maître d who then schedules the full week on our behalf.  

As mentioned, individual specialty restaurant reservations can be booked through the planner in advance.

It has been that way every time we have booked a package (which typically is every cruise) and, as indicated at least up to this past NYE, has not changed.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks everyone.  Just seems like its a natural fit to be able to make dining package reservations ahead of time on the app.

Lets hope this happens

Thanks again.

This is just an opinon from a service business point of view. If they allowed the package people to reserve a spot ahead of time it would take up all the key slots. Then people who only want one night would look, see the time slots were all full and not purchace the dinner. So they would lose that business. They already have our committement to dine in a specialy dining spot and so would lose possible additional revenue. My feeling is that block out individals slots for single dinners for each night so as to not upset people who might dine one night and like it and decide to do additional night. We have never had an issue getting a time within a half hour of our desired time when we book on line with the UDP. I know some will not like the idea but if it was my business our yours I think you would do the same thing. As long as you book your reservations early, that is the first thing we do when we board we have never had a problem. 

11 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

This is just an opinon from a service business point of view. If they allowed the package people to reserve a spot ahead of time it would take up all the key slots. Then people who only want one night would look, see the time slots were all full and not purchace the dinner. So they would lose that business. They already have our committement to dine in a specialy dining spot and so would lose possible additional revenue. My feeling is that block out individals slots for single dinners for each night so as to not upset people who might dine one night and like it and decide to do additional night. We have never had an issue getting a time within a half hour of our desired time when we book on line with the UDP. I know some will not like the idea but if it was my business our yours I think you would do the same thing. As long as you book your reservations early, that is the first thing we do when we board we have never had a problem. 

The specialty restaurants compete for the Unlimited Dining Package buyers, as they are guaranteed income.  People that want a single reservation still have many, many options for dining at their restaurant of choice.

My sister and I like (because she's fussy) to get the UDP.  I book us for lunch the first day, pay for it, and we have the charge reversed when we show up on Day 1.  I also hand over our list of reservations we would like to make for the rest of the cruise, with a tip, and our specialty lunches and dinners are booked by the time lunch is over. I would like the convenience of doing it in advance, but having them made around noon on embarkation day is plenty early enough for now.  

Even if you don't eat lunch in a specialty restaurant the first day, it's open for you to ask they make your reservation(s) for the cruise; you don't have to wait until dinner time.

I would doubt there are enough dining packages sold pre cruise to fill all restaurants. Exception would be Izumi, which tends to get pre-cruise booked quick enough as individuals, Diamonds, and Suite guests Hibachi hog..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pcur said:

The specialty restaurants compete for the Unlimited Dining Package buyers, as they are guaranteed income.  People that want a single reservation still have many, many options for dining at their restaurant of choice.

My sister and I like (because she's fussy) to get the UDP.  I book us for lunch the first day, pay for it, and we have the charge reversed when we show up on Day 1.  I also hand over our list of reservations we would like to make for the rest of the cruise, with a tip, and our specialty lunches and dinners are booked by the time lunch is over. I would like the convenience of doing it in advance, but having them made around noon on embarkation day is plenty early enough for now.  

Even if you don't eat lunch in a specialty restaurant the first day, it's open for you to ask they make your reservation(s) for the cruise; you don't have to wait until dinner time.

Agree, we do the same thing, the we have a list of our desired reservations and the first thing we do when we get on board is to visit a resturate and make all of our reservations. Occassionally we might have to move a half hour or so but not often. I would like to do it on line also, but from a business standpoint I get why they do it this way and its not a big deal for us.