ABC Islands Evenings?

Please Mods don't move to shore excursion Category... My question is that we are on the Celebration 8 Day ABC Island cruise next month and I see that we are in port (Bonaire & Aruba) until 10:00 PM. We have a couple of DIY Excursions set up for earlier in the day, but is there to do in the evenings near the port since we'll be there so late??

We just did this in January on the Horizon - such a wonderful itinerary, and it's great to be there until late. 

In Aruba, after our beach day was done, we went back to the ship to shower and change then caught a cab literally right outside the ship. There is a man in charge of taxis who will call one for you. I recommend going to the Palm Beach area - it is PACKED with awesome restaurants and shops, all walkable. We walked around and checked out menus before having dinner at Tango Argentine Grill. Definitely recommend. Then we walked around some more before catching a cab back to the ship. 

In Bonaire, we again did a day excursion then back to the ship to shower and change. Right outside the port are some shops and restaurants; not as much or as beautiful as Aruba, but there are options. I suggest heading out of the port and taking the main road to the left - just past the "I love Bonaire" sign - and walk a few minutes to Gio's Gelateria for some awesome (and CHEAP!) gelato; it will be on the right. Then head toward the water and you can have dinner or a drink at Karel's Beach Bar while watching the sunset. 

Have a great trip!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Agree with the above.  Downtown by the port in Aruba there is much to do within easy walking distance.  In Bonaire, the ships docks downtown as well, and there is some things to do, but not even close to what Aruba has.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are in Aruba late on an upcoming cruise and had read that many of the restaurants and shops by the port close down early and that Palm Beach is the place to go.  Anyone experience this recently? We get to the island late to begin with so was thinking of just going directly to Palm Beach to get in a few hours of actual beach time, then grab dinner/shop there before heading back to the port (was looking at the Arubus for transportation). 

If your ship is in port until 10 pm, there may be some evening Carnival excursions available. Several years ago we took an excursion in Aruba called something like “Sunset catamaran cruise” and it included cocktails. It was scenic and convivial, and transportation to where we boarded the catamaran was provided since it was a ship’s excursion.

11 hours ago, carol louise said:

If your ship is in port until 10 pm, there may be some evening Carnival excursions available. Several years ago we took an excursion in Aruba called something like “Sunset catamaran cruise” and it included cocktails. It was scenic and convivial, and transportation to where we boarded the catamaran was provided since it was a ship’s excursion.

We have done this twice, both good times, but first ws best, great sunset pics

On 4/7/2024 at 9:38 AM, KaiBlue said:

We are in Aruba late on an upcoming cruise and had read that many of the restaurants and shops by the port close down early and that Palm Beach is the place to go.  Anyone experience this recently? We get to the island late to begin with so was thinking of just going directly to Palm Beach to get in a few hours of actual beach time, then grab dinner/shop there before heading back to the port (was looking at the Arubus for transportation). 

We were there in January, you could do that. I had hoped to find a hotel that did a day pass so we could shower between the beach and going to dinner without going back to the ship, but I reached out to almost all of them and barely any offer them. How long are you in port? Palm Beach is a quick cab ride from the ship, so you may have time if you wanted to go back. Otherwise it's totally doable to do the beach then dinner in Palm Beach. It's awesome there. With the bus, one consideration would be how late they run (which I don't know). We took the bus to/from Eagle Beach to the ship during the day then a taxi right at the port at night; I believe it was about $16 each way to the Palm Beach area. 

9 hours ago, Sarahg0915 said:

We were there in January, you could do that. I had hoped to find a hotel that did a day pass so we could shower between the beach and going to dinner without going back to the ship, but I reached out to almost all of themand barely any offer them. How long are you in port? Palm Beach is a quick cab ride from the ship, so you may have time if you wanted to go back. Otherwise it's totally doable to do the beach then dinner in Palm Beach. It's awesome there. With the bus, one consideration would be how late they run (which I don't know). We took the bus to/from Eagle Beach to the ship during the day then a taxi right at the port at night; I believe it was about $16 each way to the Palm Beach area. 

Thanks for the info @Sarahg0915!  I think we get there around 1 (so was thinking maybe 2 would be the earliest we could get to the beach) and leave around 10 or 11pm.  Good to know that going back and forth is doable.  Maybe we will just go and know that we have the flexibility to return to the ship if we want.  Where did you ask for the taxi to drop you off in Palm Beach?  Per the OP's  question, did there seem to be anything to do near the port in the evening?

On 4/10/2024 at 8:40 AM, skywalkr2 said:

No evening in Curacao? I love that place the most of all the 3 islands.

No, I think sail away is 5:00 at Curacao

On 4/10/2024 at 9:40 AM, skywalkr2 said:

Agreed, there is more to see in the evening in Curacao I feel.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:40 AM, skywalkr2 said:

Depends on the itinerary of course, but typically the first call to an ABC island is a longer one with an evening departure. The second island is typically a shorter call since it is so far to the next port (or home port). I have seen some that stop at Aruba first and some that stop at Bonaire first.

On our cruise in February, we had a 10pm departure from Aruba. We did a beach excursion, returned to the ship to shower, and then had dinner reservations at a beachside Italian restaurant (Azzurro Ristorante) in Palm Beach - a great place to see the sunset! We took a cab there and back. 
IMG_3772.thumb.jpeg.540fdbb163d29192eee149a6450a78c7.jpeg

IMG_3771.thumb.jpeg.75540eb564d2ce863587d957dd9025ca.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 6:34 AM, KaiBlue said:

Thanks for the info @Sarahg0915!  I think we get there around 1 (so was thinking maybe 2 would be the earliest we could get to the beach) and leave around 10 or 11pm.  Good to know that going back and forth is doable.  Maybe we will just go and know that we have the flexibility to return to the ship if we want.  Where did you ask for the taxi to drop you off in Palm Beach?  Per the OP's  question, did there seem to be anything to do near the port in the evening?

You could ask to be dropped off near the beachfront hotels in Palm Beach, they're across the street from the restaurant area. Catching a return taxi took maybe 10 minutes; they were zooming by in busy Palm Beach. So definitely give yourselves enough time for that.

There seemed to be some things around the port but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention. 

• Thanks 1