Which ports to skip?

Currently planning a 12-day cruise, which is very port heavy.  I'm not sure our two young kids can do them all, so we will need to skip or cut short one or two.
Which of the following would be good candidates to skip/shorten:

1. At sea
2. LE VERDON BORDEAUX, FRANCE
3. BILBAO, SPAIN
4. LA CORUNA, SPAIN
5. OPORTO, PORTUGAL
6. LISBON, PORTUGAL
7. CADIZ SEVILLE, SPAIN
8. CARTAGENA SPAIN, SPAIN
9. BARCELONA, SPAIN
10. CANNES, FRANCE
11. LIVORNO FLORENCE PISA, ITALY

32 minutes ago, beer_baron said:

Currently planning a 12-day cruise, which is very port heavy.  I'm not sure our two young kids can do them all, so we will need to skip or cut short one or two.
Which of the following would be good candidates to skip/shorten:

1. At sea
3. BILBAO, SPAIN
4. LA CORUNA, SPAIN
5. OPORTO, PORTUGAL
6. LISBON, PORTUGAL
7. CADIZ SEVILLE, SPAIN
9. BARCELONA, SPAIN
10. CANNES, FRANCE

Hello...

I will NOT skip Oporto, nor Cadiz, nor Barcelona. They are a must

Cadiz has enough things to do even in the city (if you wanna go to Sevilla, go.... but if you remain in Cadiz, it worths a whole day too).

For other ports, if I were you I would do next calculations.

how long is the port to the city to visit?

La Coruña and Cannes, you have the city besides the port

Bilbao requires a small journey by taxi or by metro (there's underground not far from the pier)

But Florence requires a 2 hours trip by bus (and 2 hours for return)

So I would order in time to start visiting and will try to visit the easiest ones.

Le Verdon.  Not seen it on a trip for a long time.  Nothing worth getting off ship for, but after a day at sea you may want to.  Small town and huge beach.

Cartagena smaller Spanish town, Barcelona and Cadiz offer more.

My first advice would be to skip all of the cities that require additional travelling time and to stick to the port cities. Do not go to Seville and Florence. 

In Bilbao and Oporto it also takes some time to get to the historic areas, thus they are candidates for skipping.

Cannes is famous by name but otherwise less significant and may be skipped.

Just from the point of balancing sightseeing and relaxation, you might consider skipping every third day or so. All of the cities will be around a couple of years more 😉

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 10:52 AM, beer_baron said:

LE VERDON BORDEAUX, FRANCE
3. BILBAO, SPAIN
4. LA CORUNA, SPAIN
5. OPORTO, PORTUGAL
6. LISBON, PORTUGAL
7. CADIZ SEVILLE, SPAIN
9. BARCELONA, SPAIN
10. CANNES, FRANCE

From reading past threads I believe there is really nothing in le Verdon itself, and only smaller ships can sail up and down river to/from Bordeaux, quite a distance away and the reason for the port call.

Bilbao.  Ship shuttles drop off next to the historic Old Town, pleasant for a stroll, and only around a 10-15 minute walk to the river walkway with views of the Guggenheim exterior should you not venture into it.

la Coruna is a fairly nondescript town but you dock centrally, just cross the road  if you want to stroll around instead of heading to the more distant Santiago de Compostela, the #1 reason for this port call.

Oporto, you could travel by metro into the city centre or continue on to the waterfront at Vila Nova da Gaia.  (one change of line required for VNDG) A pretty area with boat tours on offer, nice views of the bridge, and port houses to visit.

Lisbon you should dock centrally.  You could take a public bus, taxi or tram along to the Belem area which is on flat ground and where there are a number of sights and parks to explore.  Check the official TOURIST INFORMATION LISBON website for info and images, and could also walk around the area next to the splendid Praça do Comércio and Rua Augusta, with many shopping and dining options, also some sights.  That area is also on level ground.(there are some really steep streets in Lisbon)

Cadiz port is central to the city, you only need cross the main road to enter the old town or turn right and follow the waterfront promenade area with little gardens and cafes along the way.

Cartagena, again you only need cross the main road from the cruise terminal and you are there.

Barcelona is Barcelona, you only need decide what to do there.  There is a blue port shuttle bus which drops you at the foot of Ramblas.

Cannes is a tender port which may be tricky with young children, but once there you will be central and could enjoy the promenade and some of the town., also the beaches.

Livorno is really a "destination" port for Pisa, Lucca, Florence and others and doesn't have a great deal to offer otherwise, but you could stroll around and maybe walk along the sea front.

For ideas, you could read past threads about all of your ports using the easy SEARCH TOOL, but could also internet search "(name of town or city)Tourist Information" plus eg Tripadvisor, YouTube, Frommer's Fodors, Rick Steves, Lonely Planet and others in the results to find info and images to help you decide which would be of interest to your family and which would also be suitable for young children as you would know what they could be capable of. You could also google eg "(name of town or city) for kids" to see if there might be something of special interest for them.

Edited by edinburgher

52 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

From reading past threads I believe there is really nothing in le Verdon itself, and only smaller ships can sail up and down river to/from Bordeaux, quite a distance away and the reason for the port call.

Bilbao.  Ship shuttles drop off next to the historic Old Town, pleasant for a stroll, and only around a 10-15 minute walk to the river walkway with views of the Guggenheim exterior should you not venture into it.

la Coruna is a fairly nondescript town but you dock centrally, just cross the road  if you want to stroll around instead of heading to the more distant Santiago de Compostela, the #1 reason for this port call.

Oporto, you could travel by metro into the city centre or continue on to the waterfront at Vila Nova da Gaia.  (one change of line required for VNDG) A pretty area with boat tours on offer, nice views of the bridge, and port houses to visit.

Lisbon you should dock centrally.  You could take a public bus, taxi or tram along to the Belem area which is on flat ground and where there are a number of sights and parks to explore.  Check the official TOURIST INFORMATION LISBON website for info and images, and could also walk around the area next to the splendid Praça do Comércio and Rua Augusta, with many shopping and dining options, also some sights.  That area is also on level ground.(there are some really steep streets in Lisbon)

Cadiz port is central to the city, you only need cross the main road to enter the old town or turn right and follow the waterfront promenade area with little gardens and cafes along the way.

Cartagena, again you only need cross the main road from the cruise terminal and you are there.

Barcelona is Barcelona, you only need decide what to do there.  There is a blue port shuttle bus which drops you at the foot of Ramblas.

Cannes is a tender port which may be tricky with young children, but once there you will be central and could enjoy the promenade and some of the town., also the beaches.

Livorno is really a "destination" port for Pisa, Lucca, Florence and others and doesn't have a great deal to offer otherwise, but you could stroll around and maybe walk along the sea front.

For ideas, you could read past threads about all of your ports using the easy SEARCH TOOL, but could also internet search "(name of town or city)Tourist Information" plus eg Tripadvisor, YouTube, Frommer's Fodors, Rick Steves, Lonely Planet and others in the results to find info and images to help you decide which would be of interest to your family and which would also be suitable for young children as you would know what they could be capable of. You could also google eg "(name of town or city) for kids" to see if there might be something of special interest for them.

Thanks for the info!  Certainly lots to think about and research. 

Porto's harbour (let me use harbour.... saying Porto's port is weird, quite weird) is besides an underground station (it is tramway out of city centre but it is the same train). 

Porto network (still to open a new line) has several lines sharing a root west-east and a north-south line. They join in Trindade. You should change line there through the south. First station in front of Town hall (Aliados), next one in front of old station and cathedral (Sao Bento)

I would take Sao Bento to go to the river indeed

Port to City centre about 30 minutes by underground according to their website

Bilbao's harbour is in Getxo. It has nearest underground station just in 1,5 km walking (not because underground is far away but just you have to go out from piers)

19 minutes by underground and you are in city centre

Cadiz, if you want to visit city centre (enough for a day port) it is impossible to have a better location for the cruise (there are some cities where pier is quite near city centre but Cadiz could be the best one)

Barcelona.... you will need at least the Shuttle bus to get off the pier (it is the longest harbour for cruises out of Florida, do not expect to find a small port). After it, you can start your visit on Gothic quarter. This is, the pier is besides city centre

and so on....

I would avoid those ports where I have to move a lot by bus to visit something

You have not said when you are taking the cruise, that makes a great deal of difference - from my experience small children work better in the cooler weather.  If you are going during summer months then you can find some good beaches in Barcelona, Cadiz (brilliant beaches), and Cannes where a short walk from tender drop off is a public beach.  OR a short ferry to Ile Saint Marguerite for walks or beaches could make a great day out.  Just take swimwear and towels (I always carry those small towels you can get from sports shops) because you might come across the possibility of bathing when you don’t expect it.

I am sure that there must be some great play parks around these cities too.   I agree that you would be best to avoid long treks like to Florence, but difficult to advise without knowing if this is 1. A once in a lifetime trip to Europe with kids in tow or 2.  A great cruise where we want to find things for the kids to do during the day.  

Does that make sense? The two cruises require different approaches.  I have done both - and version 2 worked out better. 

As others already made the comments about the ports; I like to add my thoughts; ports are there to be explored, there is enough time to see the ship and be aboard. So depending on the age of your kids, every port is worthwile to go at least for a stroll.

It's of course not really necessairy to make a tour or a whole day at land, but sometimes a couple of hours on land to go to a beach or watch the happening of the big ships in port or a nearby playground...

1. At sea

As I see (I will be there the first time for myself in November) you could step of the ship and explore the nearby beach

3. BILBAO, SPAIN

I would go into town (easy done with a Metro to see the huge puppy dog in front of the amazing Art Museum)

4. LA CORUNA, SPAIN

It's the port of Santiago de Compostela, where one usually goes to see the Cathedrale but as I've seen on this page (search for it) there is lots to see and do in La Coruna itself.

5. OPORTO, PORTUGAL

Another city which is in my eyes a must to visit, with the very colorfull houses, the old fashioned tram

6. LISBON, PORTUGAL

Ride the tram around, stroll along the river side

7. CADIZ SEVILLE, SPAIN

did the tour to Seville which I highly recommend

Did not visit

9. BARCELONA, SPAIN

Again a city not to be missed, if you don't like to tour you just might to take a stroll along the Waterfront and the "Ramblas" Street (watch out for pickpockets) and maybe ride the cable car

10. CANNES, FRANCE

Beachtime

Tour to see the leaning tower in Pisa