Vancouver embarkation question

alainciao

We board Nova on May 9th in Vancouver.  We will be boarding with two other large ships (about 7600 passengers).  Do they separate the queues for each ship?  Would not like to be in one huge line!  Also, on disembarkation in Vancouver does Silversea take your bags the night before and have them available after you disembark?  Our first SS cruise:)  TIA.

We boarded our ship in Vancouver last October it was a nightmare!  There is no separate queues for SS, There was one other ship there (6000) it took three and a half hours to get to the passport control. Yes, your bags should be outside your suite by 11pm, they are taken away overnight, you collect them when you leave the ship.

Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We boarded in Vancouver in September... one other ship in port. I allowed for two hours ... it took 40 mins from leaving the hotel room to being in the waiting lounge sipping something fizzy. Embarrassing really.

But yes  it was a single queue for US Immigration.

Edited by MBP&O2/O

1 hour ago, fudge said:

We boarded our ship in Vancouver last October it was a nightmare!  There is no separate queues for SS, There was one other ship there (6000) it took three and a half hours to get to the passport control. Yes, your bags should be outside your suite by 11pm, they are taken away overnight, you collect them when you leave the ship.

Have a great cruise.

I didn’t realise how lucky we were last August when Silver Muse was the only ship that in port day!  

We will board the Muse (0,6k guests) on Sep. 2 as well as guests for Norwegian Jewel (2.4k guests) and for Disney Wonder (2.7k guests)!

Total of 5.8k guests!

16 hours ago, Lirio said:

We will board the Muse (0,6k guests) on Sep. 2 as well as guests for Norwegian Jewel (2.4k guests) and for Disney Wonder (2.7k guests)!

Total of 5.8k guests!

Aaaargh!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Lirio said:

Total of 5.8k guests!

I have the same exact ships in Vancouver in May. I guess its better than 7600.  I went to cruise mapper and it appears both ships leave before SS.  I'm not confident I can predict when will be the slowest.  Grin and bear in I guess.  One would think they would add resources.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

4 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I have the same exact ships in Vancouver in May. I guess its better than 7600.  I went to cruise mapper and it appears both ships leave before SS.  I'm not confident I can predict when will be the slowest.  Grin and bear in I guess.  One would think they would add resources.

Are you on the Muse? Please, let me know your impression!

Wow, I had a really different experience boarding the Muse last September. I had flown up from Portland that morning and got a cab to the cruise port. It was the only time I have cut it close like that, but I am a 2-hour flight away. Anyway, it was the easiest thing. I was directed to Silversea. While there were other ships there, the line I was in seemed only related to Silversea. The US passport holders went through without any wait in the line. It was only weird since I had just entered Canada an hour ago and now needed to "re-enter" the US. But zero delays - I have never gotten onboard a cruise ship so easily.

That said, the non-US passengers seemed to have a bit of a queue.

Emily

• Like 2

9 hours ago, irvington said:

Wow, I had a really different experience boarding the Muse last September. I had flown up from Portland that morning and got a cab to the cruise port. It was the only time I have cut it close like that, but I am a 2-hour flight away. Anyway, it was the easiest thing. I was directed to Silversea. While there were other ships there, the line I was in seemed only related to Silversea. The US passport holders went through without any wait in the line. It was only weird since I had just entered Canada an hour ago and now needed to "re-enter" the US. But zero delays - I have never gotten onboard a cruise ship so easily.

That said, the non-US passengers seemed to have a bit of a queue.

Emily

After the Alaska cruise in September, I am going to Portland for a conference. I will have plenty of time to touring around. Any recommendation will be welcomed.

4 hours ago, Lirio said:

After the Alaska cruise in September, I am going to Portland for a conference. I will have plenty of time to touring around. Any recommendation will be welcomed.

Rent a car (or get a local guide online) and drive up to Mount St. Helens.  There are several museums and interpretive centers along the way that describe the 1980 eruption and its aftermath, and the scenery is stunning.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:34 AM, Lirio said:

For a day trip, I really like going to the Columbia Gorge. You can take the highway on the Oregon side to Hood River or beyond, and then come back on the Washington side. Hood River is a really cute town. If you want to come the long way back, you could drive up to Timberline Lodge from Hood River and then back to Portland. Wonderful scenery. 

Another great day trip is Astoria - Cannon Beach. Cannon Beach is a cute town with a gorgeous beach. Astoria is more of a real town, with great history (2 nearby Lewis and Clark sites, the Astoria Column and the Maritime Museum). I really like the Cannery Pier Hotel if you want to stay overnight.

Portland is known for food, coffee, beer, and wine. (and weed) EaterPDX keeps up on more of the restaurant happenings. I like the downtown cultural district with the art museum, symphony and historical society. The Chinese Garden is cool, and the Japanese Garden has been recently renovated. Walking around NW 23rd or SE Hawthorne is a good way to get a feel of more normal life, also going to an eastside restaurant. The eastside esplanade, walking from our science museum, OMSI, is lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1