QUASI-LIVE Rotterdam VII: 14-Day Atlantic Sunsets & Exotic Isles

Wow.  Talk about a wild ride when booking last minute!  There are far too many moving pieces when trying to coordinate multiple schedules and obligations across three different countries with six different people.  It’s like nailing jello to a tree! 

The main goal is to get to England.  This TA gets us close.  It’s not our first choice in itineraries but it’s a cruise and we are happy.  Today is embarkation day!

IMG_1141.thumb.jpeg.93b1fb2ea4d4bfc8bc42f03ab1ee0510.jpeg

• Like 9

Bon Voyage 🙂 

IMG_1214.jpeg.31789b22fc58983bbd15aeb1bface10b.jpeg

I hope you have a lovely crossing.

My friends are doing the same as you.  They are taking the train (Eurostar?) to London after the cruise and enjoying time there. Great minds think alike 😉 😃 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

My friends are doing the same as you.  They are taking the train (Eurostar?) to London after the cruise and enjoying time there. Great minds think alike 😉 😃 

Thank you, Jacqui!  We will be taking the P&O overnight ferry from Rotterdam, and then the train.  First time on P&O!

• Like 3

This year’s journey will be an adventure.  Mum and Dad and Sis and I arrived in Fort Lauderdale a few days ago.  My daughter and son-in-law flew in last night.  Today, we board Holland America’s flagship, the Rotterdam VII.  I am very excited to see what she’s like and we’re all really excited, in general!  The stars have to align, quite precisely, in order to get here and we are very thankful.

We (my sister and I) were enticed by the Private Fare, but the guarantee status on the obstructed balcony we chose had us slightly hesitant.  But, not to worry, our trusted PCC came through and assigned us an unobstructed on Deck 7!  Life is good.  My parents have a great room on a different deck.  My daughter and SIL chose a specific suite, on yet another deck, because they liked the same one on the Nieuw Statendam.

Right now, I have tasks, so I shall try to get back to this thread soon!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Okay, most tasks completed and it’s time for a little break!  To backtrack a bit…

The day after booking, we received an upgrade offer.  It is, after all, a few weeks from sailing.  The offer is $199/pp to move from obstructed to unobstructed.  Pass.  I am hoping for a better offer.  

Aaaand…. you win some; you lose some.  I checked the following week and it seems this ship is sailing full.  No suites for you!

That’s okay.  I will be on a ship with my happy family and we are going places!  The first place we will be going is Fort Lauderdale.  More coordination.  My sister flew from England to Canada so she could fly down with my parents.  I flew from Washington, DC, and will meet them there.

Why is the Dulles International Airport code IAD, you ask?  Well, originally it was DIA but they kept getting it mixed up with DCA (aka National Airport or Ronald Reagan Airport, depending where your loyalties lie).  Aoccdrnig to rscheearch, it deosn’t mttaer whcih oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltteers are in the rgiht pclae, the mnid can raed the wrod as a wohle.  

Since both airports started with a D and ended in an A, there was trouble afoot.  Much safer to boggle Dulles’ letters to prevent a whole host of problems which I’d rather not think about.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Less than three weeks till sailing and it’s been radio silence on room assignment.  I’m getting antsy!

18 days from sailing and there is another offer:

IMG_1335.thumb.jpeg.7135df5aee013ab83b0a7425398f464c.jpeg

Definitely will not take them up on that.  “Best Available” will now be whatever’s left.  We’ll take our chances with the obstructed rather than chance a disappointment.  Hoping my PCC can nab the best “best available” when they give him the all-clear.

Twelve days till sailing and no assignment yet.  Received another offer.  Now down to $109/pp.  Parents received their assignment a few days ago; went from a VH obstructed to a mid-ship VA.  Well done!  Daughter and SIL wanted a specific suite so they already have theirs.  Sis and I have decided to take our chances.

10 days from sailing and another offer.  Same one as two days ago.  I guess they thought I wasn’t paying attention.  I am not taking your offer!  Just assign the room already!  

8 days from sailing and yet another offer!!  At least, this time, there’s a suite involved:

IMG_1371.thumb.jpeg.639d9cdd7987e2b436c8272abde4fc14.jpeg

7 days from sailing and we have a room assignment!   We are happy.  🥰

• Like 4

Have a great trip! It sounds wonderful, especially having your family with you.

We were very tempted in this itinerary, but we’re already committed on another cruise. Love the repositionings, but can’t do them all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone!  On the HAL transfer bus. Driver went to wrong ship. Daughter texting from Pier 21. They’re holding all boarding due to a missing crew member. Lots of unhappy passengers. More later as we are about to get off the coach!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my goodness, doesn’t time fly?  I finally have internet access and am able to catch up.  I was going to keep a running dialogue but we have been run off our feet on the cruise and something had to go.  Sorry.

APRIL 11th - 13th

WASHINGTON, DC and TORONTO, ON to FORT LAUDERDALE, FL

WEATHER:  HOT

Storms in Florida and the Metropolitan DC area are causing havoc with the flights.  Mine has been delayed, literally right after they called for us to start boarding. The flight before mine — to Orlando — has been completely cancelled.  They are trying to fit people from that flight onto ours, but ours is full.  The gate attendants are good at keeping us informed.  Luckily, we are only delayed one hour.  My parents and sister are not so lucky.  Their flight was delayed for almost five hours, which means I am picking them up from FLL at 1:00am instead of 8:30pm.  Oh well.  I am happy they have finally made it.

We are staying at The Residence Inn Plantation.  The rooms have had a lovely upgrade since our last stay in 2022.  We have one day for shopping, which makes my mother and sister happy.  We stop for a really great fish and chips at the King’s Head British Pub in Sunrise.  @bennybear and @Turtles06, this place is definitely a contender for the Fish and Chip World Challenge™.  Yum!

• Like 3

SATURDAY, APRIL 13th

EMBARKATION DAY

At 10:30am we head down to the car.  Argh!  I left the car keys in the room upstairs!  It is also where I left the room keys.   I cross my fingers in hopes that I can catch my sister but she is exiting the elevator as I am entering.  Yes, she too has left her room key on the table.  Sigh.  I take the lift to the 4th floor and try to find someone from housekeeping to let me in but hey have all disappeared.  It must be break time.  I head down to Reception to ask them for another key and return to our room.  Yay!  Keys are where I left them!  We are back on track, albeit a half hour later.

But, oh oh!  The ship is not sailing at 5:00pm like usual.  It is now sailing at 3:00pm!  Glad I double-checked.  I now have two less hours to drop everyone at the port, return the rental vehicle, then get back to the port before the 1:30pm all aboard.

I’m going to need that sailaway party beverage.

Thirty minutes later, parents and sis dropped at port and I head back to the airport area to fill up the car.  Except now it is gridlock on a Saturday afternoon in Fort Lauderdale.  Will the fun never end?  I fight my way through traffic, get my gas, and fight the traffic back again.  Where is that drink?

After dropping the rental at Hertz, I decide to head down to baggage claim to see if there’s room on the coach.  Super nice guys at the HAL stand sign me in, contact the rep at the bus to say there’s one more to come, then walk me to where it’s parked as I am the last one to board at T1.  I jump onboard and we head to T2 to pick up the remainder of the transfers.

Texting my daughter at 12:30pm to say that I am on my way, she tells me that boarding is on hold due to a missing crew member.  Oh oh.  The coach arrives at the terminal around 1:00pm but boarding has not yet commenced.  I hope everything is okay.

Just after checking in, it re-commences and I am scanned onboard.  My mother had wheelchair assistance so she and my Dad and my sister were already onboard.  I head to our assigned room.

ROOM 7163 - STARBOARD AFT

This was a nice room and I would be fine with it again.  The only down side was that it had a connecting door.  So, I think… but I can’t quite recall from her sister ships… that it robbed us of a bit of cupboard space.  Our neighbours weren’t the noisy type but you could hear them every once in a while, as I’m sure they could hear us as well.

The three drawers underneath the refrigerator cupboard only pulled out halfway, (meaning they were half the depth of a regular drawer) so that was a bit annoying. 

IMG_8958.thumb.jpeg.d7e35dfd35d9d7ea0d78022f8bd538fb.jpeg

Two adjustable chairs, with footrests, and a small table on the balcony.

IMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.ced11ce69be923c4e1e2fc8e64be1076.jpeg

I see my sister made it onto the ship!

IMG_8965.thumb.jpeg.c4d8dd55e94b8ef409710a2bdbec321a.jpeg

IMG_8964.thumb.jpeg.67e64991377ef10c2d06690e94547de8.jpeg

I drop my things to head for a much-needed sailaway bevvie but I was not quick enough!  Bambang, the head room steward, was at the top of his game and welcomed me onboard with a list of questions and information.  He has already spoken with my sister.  He is a very capable young man indeed!  Briefing over, I head to the Seaview Pool to see if I can find anyone.

• Like 4

Here is Andy — the amazing Entertainment Host — leading everyone in the line dancing and YMCA dance during sailaway.  This was the most energetic sailaway I have ever been to on Holland America.  Go to anything Andy is leading… especially the Music Trivia… and hope for a dance-off.  He is soooo funny.  

IMG_1718.thumb.jpeg.e7fdd564888af60e6fbc2eb3a459e953.jpeg

• Like 4

We had a very delayed departure from the original 3:00pm sailaway they had set.  The Captain made an announcement following the sailaway celebrations to report that — after a search of the ship and a review of the CCTV recordings — sadly, the missing crew member was seen jumping into the sea at 10:00pm the night before.  😢

We were all so very sad and I am sure the crew was devastated.  I can’t even imagine the nightmare his family must be going through.  The Captain said that other ships in the area are keeping a lookout.

Only a few hours after leaving PEV, we turned around and headed back to shore due to a critically ill crew member.  After a transfer via the Coast Guard we resumed the voyage.  The next day we found out that he had passed from a heart attack.  Wow.  More devastating news for the crew and families.  😢

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The next day a passenger took critically ill so the Captain announced he was diverting the ship north to Bermuda.  Two days later they were able to transfer the patient to the Coast Guard, along with his wife and their luggage.  The Captain announced that we could watch the transfer, which would take place Port Aft.  We found out a couple of days later that he was still in the hospital but had been stabilized and was doing well. 

Two days later we were at Happy Hour in the Crow’s Nest when the captain made another announcement.  Everyone went silent and said “Oh no” all at the same time.  They were looking for blood donours for a critically ill patient.  Not too long after, it was announced that they had received enough donours and would be transferring the patient to onshore care in Ponta Delgado, Portugal.  Not having been able to make it to the Azores on previous crossings we were happy for the patient that the weather permitted us to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the most part, Anytime Dining service has been abysmal.  One hour to take a drink or food order is not okay.  The exception to this was the one time when we had a table in Dewa’s section.  We finally gave up on the Main Dining Room and began eating in the Lido Market and specialty dining.  We understand there is a corporate executive onboard so it is good for them to see all that is happening, including the medical diversions.

Most evenings are spent at the piano bar with Trenton.  He is fantastic and audience participation is high.  At one of Trenton’s all-request sets, one was Spirit in the Sky.  It turns out that Norman Greenbaum, the singer-songwriter of Spirit in the Sky, was onboard!  After that we saw him everywhere…. as you do.  We heard there were a number of other celebrities onboard, but I didn’t take notes and have forgotten who they are now.  Sorry!

On Monday, April 22nd we began to cross a segment of the Bay of Biscay.   We had some pretty meaningful swells so none of us got much sleep that night.  We’d bump along for a bit and then free-fall into a trough.  Then you’d drift off until you woke up free-falling again.  What a night!

Some of you may recall the woman who talked her way all the way to the front of a 70 minute line to catch the return funiculaire in Santorini.  She did this by moving forward to each person in line, chatting, then moving forward again.  I couldn’t believe she made it all the way to the front!  Too funny.  My sister has been swearing all week that she has seen her around the ship.  Well, guess what?  Today she sat next to us at Team Trivia and I nearly snorted mango margarita up my nose!  There are those you don’t remember and there are those you cannot forget.  As a tour guide in Italy once said “The world is too small.”

• Like 3

Sunset on the 2nd night:

IMG_9004.thumb.jpeg.d3024cdebe224b65028d828198dda8eb.jpeg

IMG_9008.thumb.jpeg.8074dc74472a6bc2c2fc9114d1ec261c.jpeg

This is how I knew I was on the right staircase:

IMG_8987.thumb.jpeg.9b4d9c8bf5e044e7b0ff1b89b7390e19.jpeg

The Seaview Pool in the wee hours:

IMG_9059.thumb.jpeg.f82fe5dc76577e70919e0d49d5f51d24.jpeg

I ordered my Mum some flowers:

IMG_9065.thumb.jpeg.7baade1980ebb5febd9fba8065795ba2.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 6

Good morning Ponta Delgado.  This was a lovely walkable port.  We had an amazing lunch and some fun shopping here!

IMG_9080.thumb.jpeg.fc05a79d39ec532ebcf4d648699ea6f8.jpeg

Crabs sunning themselves on the rocks.

IMG_9082.thumb.jpeg.684dff1e7e6505938627f9dce5d72120.jpeg

IMG_9086.thumb.jpeg.3c6e89695db9aa0aa75fc86305c336d2.jpeg

IMG_9091.thumb.jpeg.e10c305de368f77f214bd928e88e3fbb.jpeg

A popular bathing spot by the pier!

IMG_9112.thumb.jpeg.89b66064af8035b36f2f1a1a8d29f4ea.jpeg

• Like 6

I just saw your thread and thought to myself “April 13? How did I miss following @*Miss G*’s trip!” I’m so glad you were able to come back and catch us all up. We are cruising now, and I respect all of you who take the time to do these threads. Really enjoying it so far! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:50 PM, kazu said:

Bon Voyage 🙂 

IMG_1214.jpeg.31789b22fc58983bbd15aeb1bface10b.jpeg

We had a great crossing. This week a little disappointing as we discovered it was school vacation so many families aboard. We also find that easy excursions not so great. On May 4 we take Eurostar to Paris for three nights then fly French Bee home to Florida. Food mostly terrific — have it all package terrific for us non-drinkers (coffees, soft drinks, mocktails all without cost. Stateroom was very far aft — on Deck 1, but quiet with mostly attentive Stewards. Rotterdam VII a beautiful ship!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

I just saw your thread and thought to myself “April 13? How did I miss following @*Miss G*’s trip!” I’m so glad you were able to come back and catch us all up. We are cruising now, and I respect all of you who take the time to do these threads. Really enjoying it so far! 

Thank you, @sunviking90  I think this will probably be my last live-from because it doesn’t look like there’s much interest. I will finish what I’ve started, though, so others visiting these ports and ship will know what to expect. Currently have sporadic internet access in the UK but will post when I can. 🥰

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carryons_only said:

We had a great crossing. This week a little disappointing as we discovered it was school vacation so many families aboard. We also find that easy excursions not so great. On May 4 we take Eurostar to Paris for three nights then fly French Bee home to Florida. Food mostly terrific — have it all package terrific for us non-drinkers (coffees, soft drinks, mocktails all without cost. Stateroom was very far aft — on Deck 1, but quiet with mostly attentive Stewards. Rotterdam VII a beautiful ship!

Our guide and driver were fabulous — our bus dropped us far from ship — some buses were able to get closer — but it was a beautiful new bus — diesel powered Mercedes — and driver was skilled. Tour guide pointed out animals, birds, and fish and other sea creatures (otters). We had a fabulous long time.

• Like 2