What side of ship

carlp

taking a Princess cruise to Alaska

we have a balcony but haven’t chosen a cabin

which side ship to be able to see the glaciers from balcony

thanks

I am taking my first Alaska cruise next month on Celebrity.  I chose a port side balcony cabin as my itinerary is a southbound one which means the port side will primariy be towards the land.  That said, I am told that when going into the bay(s) with glaciers etc. that the ship does a 360 so that both sides get an equal opportunity to view the wonder of the glaciers.  I would think Princess does the same thing.  If your itinerary is southbound only I would choose port.  If it is north bound only I would choose starboard.  If it is round trip it probably doesn't matter choose the cabin location you like best as for half the trip you will be oceanside anyway.  

Posted (edited)

If you are cruising from Seattle you will be well out to sea going around Vancouver Island and in Queen Charlotte Sound, so you won’t have any really good views of land. Same with going across the Gulf of Alaska into or out of Seward.

Edited by wolfie11

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, carlp said:

As already mentioned, Captains will usually turn the ship around at some glaciers.

Having said that, on Alaskan itineraries it is common to spend more time on deck for views forward or on both sides.  A balcony on whichever side will restrict your viewing to one side only unless you have an aft facing one.

And on our Alaskan itineraries with HAL, the bow areas which are normally closed to passengers were opened up to give passengers more access to best viewing in especially scenic areas, Glacier Bay as an example.

If on deck, it is good to position yourselves near a doorway as it is then easier to move from one side to the other depending on scenery, or whale sightings, or whatever, as some passengers on outdoor decks keep a close eye on water movement and will call out if whales are spotted and you may not hear anything when sitting on your balcony.☹️

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, carlp said:

thanks

It doesn't matter IMO as it is best to be on deck for viewing. This allows you to move around. I think one side does get more viewing time usually but I am always on deck even when I have a balcony.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

I am taking my first Alaska cruise next month on Celebrity.  I chose a port side balcony cabin as my itinerary is a southbound one which means the port side will primariy be towards the land.  That said, I am told that when going into the bay(s) with glaciers etc. that the ship does a 360 so that both sides get an equal opportunity to view the wonder of the glaciers.  I would think Princess does the same thing.  If your itinerary is southbound only I would choose port.  If it is north bound only I would choose starboard.  If it is round trip it probably doesn't matter choose the cabin location you like best as for half the trip you will be oceanside anyway.  

I have done B2B on cruises in the same cabin and really don't think one side sees more land.