Are we in the minority regarding cruising/travelling with other couples?

17 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

This is Viking.  No chicken fingers 'cause there are no kids on a Viking cruise.  She can get a burger and fries at lunch, but don't know if they will accommodate her with a burger at dinner or not.

I didn't mean literally chicken fingers but what about chicken breast, a small steak, some spaghetti and meatballs. And what about asking ahead if the kitchen can accommodate such a simple request? Or tell her what it's going to be like and maybe she'll stay home. If not perhaps ask her if she could refrain from negative comments?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We are cruising with a family member for the first time this coming November.  

I know that this particular individual is very picky eating and just adverse to trying anything that she does not know and has not eaten before.

I asked my brother how this would go over at meals, and his response was, as long as they can offer breaded chicken fingers, fries, or a burger, she will be fine.

I actually look forward to the experience as we eat and try everything.  I will just be experiencing my own amusement in my head as she watches the wonders of food that we will be eating.

Yikes.  It could be a disaster bringing someone knowing they won't enjoy.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The most fun I've ever had cruising was in the '80s when about 20 of us co-workers in Alaska cruised together, on Sitmar (later bought by Princess).  Fairsea, Fairwind, and Fairsky.  We had two large round tables in the dining room next to each other and other travelers would mention that they wished they were having that much fun.  There was no "specialty dining".  There were no balcony cabins (that I recall).  There were no electric outlets in cabins, so you had to dry your hair in a room down the hall.  Bare bones, but SO much fun when traveling with friends.

During the day, especially in port, we'd all divide into different groups depending on our different interests, then meet for drinks, then on to dinner, then to the show.  At sea days we'd take part in the different games like silly horse racing.

Now Hubby and I travel with my sis and BIL.  We have a great time.  The thing is that everyone has to understand from the get-go that nobody is joined at the hip.  Just do your own thing.

• Like 4

On 4/15/2024 at 6:06 PM, SelectSys said:

BTW - our rule for traveling with our kids, now all adults, is simply that everyone simply needs to show up for dinner.  I may try to extend that rule to traveling with another couple on our upcoming cruise.

This is our rule, regardless of who we are traveling with. We have a couple that we try to travel with at least once a year and this rule is why, I believe, we have remained traveling friends for so long.  The same goes for traveling with our children and their spouse(s).  If you want to hang together, fine if we agree on an activity (or lack thereof).  Otherwise, we will see you at dinner.  Makes for relaxing vacations with the element of being social too.  

For the record, we tend to still spend a decent amount of time with the other couple but usually do not meet up until after lunch each day. Our son and DIL typically want to hang out with us most of the day but still wander off on their own at times too.  It is really nice to have no expectations.

• Like 3