Port of Shimizu Japan

On 4/19/2024 at 6:03 PM, MicCanberra said:

Sounds great. If you do a post or thread, I will appreciate that.

Our friends are on the Royal Princess, it is in Hong Kong today, but are heading to Japan.

I will certainly give it a shot then, Mic, if you would like me to. I've had trouble posting photos in the past to cruise critic threads (although have once or twice succeeded) so let's see how it goes. Hopefully, I'll be on a shared table for dinner so I won't want to be taking too many photos of meals and I'll only be using my iphone as a camera so they won't be anything special!

Is there anything in particular you're interested in that you'd want information on or a photo of? No promises, but if I know what you'd like to hear about it might help.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:16 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I found it - it's the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine.

"This was the first of the Toshogu Shrines, which were built to honor Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Edo shogunate. Its outstanding architectural techniques won it the title of National Treasure from the Japanese government in 2010".

I believe this is where the tour I've booked on is going - looks fascinating. Hoping for a clear day!

• Like 1

Just what you did in the ports would do, and any thing of interest to you.

Maybe some pics while in port and a little detail, like distances, costs, ease of transport, if the bus or  train was nearby or a taxi was needed.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 9:11 AM, resordanis said:

Morning all,

For all of you that have been to Japan, can you see Mt Fuiji easily from this Port (subject to weather) or do I need a ships excursion. It is the last day afternoon of our cruise and as we have been to Japan before this is the only interest in this Port. If we can do something on our own for a short time it would be our choice. If we need the tour, so be it!

Thanks

Yes - you can see it clearly from this port - IF the weather allows you to. We could not see the mountain at all when we arrived and although the weather cleared during the day, we could see the mountain but I would not call it " clear" 

IMG20240406153140.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - you can see it clearly from this port - IF the weather allows you to. We could not see the mountain at all when we arrived and although the weather cleared during the day, we could see the mountain but I would not call it " clear" 

IMG20240406153140.jpg

That's about as clear as it gets, I think. My pics from 2018 are a bit hazy too.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This photo was taken from the base of the mountain where we stopped for lunch on a tour in 2006. Even that close it's a bit hazy.

115-1571_IMG.thumb.JPG.8fae8de5567df2ab89d83c6284a3f895.JPG

We all felt happy with what we saw today.Certainly didn’t need a tour.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, resordanis said:

We all felt happy with what we saw today.Certainly didn’t need a tour.

We were on a land trip that time. We'd spent some time in Tokyo - Rolf was attending a conference, then did a four day tour that took us to Mt Fuji, Hakone, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, and ended in Kyoto, travelling on buses and trains. It was a great tour. We then had a few days in Kyoto, then took the train to Hiroshima, stayed the night on Miyajima, then went straight back to Narita Airprt to fly home. We certainly packed a lot in to that trip.

• Like 1