Recent Yellow Cab Reviews?

We are a party of 4 disembarking from NCL at Pier 66.  We are looking for a ride to our Day Resort hotel downtown and then a ride to the airport later in the evening.  The reviews I've seen online are not good, mostly from fall of 2023.

Wondering if anyone has used them in 2024 and what your experience has been.  Their pre-order website & rates seem good, but don't want to use them if they're unreliable.

Thank you!

47 minutes ago, Lynnpins said:

We are a party of 4 disembarking from NCL at Pier 66.  We are looking for a ride to our Day Resort hotel downtown and then a ride to the airport later in the evening.  The reviews I've seen online are not good, mostly from fall of 2023.

Wondering if anyone has used them in 2024 and what your experience has been.  Their pre-order website & rates seem good, but don't want to use them if they're unreliable.

Thank you!

What city? Assuming Seattle based on Pier 66. 

I just was in Seattle for a week for work and frankly can't remember if I even saw a traditional taxi. Like most cities they are nearly extinct. I would just use Uber or Lyft-- very reliable and you can also schedule in advance. 

We've used them from downtown to the airport a couple times and would use them again. They have an app to schedule a pickup.  The car they used both times was barely big enough for 2 of us plus luggage. You may need to request a larger car if you can.  I live downtown and have never heard of a "Day Resort hotel". What is it?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

We've used them from downtown to the airport a couple times and would use them again. They have an app to schedule a pickup.  The car they used both times was barely big enough for 2 of us plus luggage. You may need to request a larger car if you can.  I live downtown and have never heard of a "Day Resort hotel". What is it?

We are using Port Valet for luggage so we won't have big bags with us.  Will need to make sure the vehicle can fit 4 adults though.

Here is the website I used to book our day pass hotel. It entitles us to use the hotel's pool, hot tub, lounges etc as a way to pass the hours until our redeye flight back east.

https://www.resortpass.com/

• Like 1

I don't do cabs at all when traveling.  Most of my usage of Uber and Lyft have been when traveling for business, but when we cruise we always need to get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port and back again, same as everyone else.  I also use Uber or Lyft for personal travel needs.  We've never had a bad experience with Uber or Lyft.  The cars are cleaner, the drivers are more personable, and at the end of the ride the driver isn't impatiently waiting for me to pay, or glaring at me because I want to use plastic, or plain outright telling me I must pay in cash.

A party of 4, with no checked luggage, just hand baggage, can fit in a typical regular Uber or Lyft, which is typically a Prius.  The middle passenger in the back seat will be in pretty tight, but you'll get there just fine.  If you want more space, a Uber XL will likely be a Suburban or maybe an Expedition Max or other long full size SUV.  More than enough room for 4 passengers plus all their luggage, even though you won't have all the checked bags with you.

I wouldn't even waste your time worrying about yellow cabs.   They do exist, and hotel front desks will be happy to hail you a cab ride, but things are just so much cleaner and easier to do through an app.  The rideshare driver gets a ride request from the service when you request one through the app.  You have already specified in the app where you are going.  The app shows you the driver's info, the car they are driving and license plate number.  The driver has a bit of information about you to help them identify you from the curb.  You can see where your driver is before they arrive, the app will tell you when they are approaching, and you can follow the ride on the app when in the vehicle.  You already know the price of the ride when you book it, and you tip inside the app, so the entire cost of the ride goes to your card.

I'll do rideshare every day over taking cabs and paying the old fashioned way.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the Yellow Cab app can do most of what the Uber app does including tracking the vehicle as it approaches. It allows you to pay in advance through the app as does Uber but unlike Uber, you also have the option of paying at the end of the ride with a credit card or cash.

We compare prices and in nearly all instances, Yellow Cab is less expensive. Unless things have changed, for those arriving at Pier 91, the ride share pick up lot is ¼ mile from the terminal. Yellow Cab can pick up at the terminal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glaciers said:

We compare prices and in nearly all instances, Yellow Cab is less expensive. Unless things have changed, for those arriving at Pier 91, the ride share pick up lot is ¼ mile from the terminal. Yellow Cab can pick up at the terminal

Can a ride share drop you off at the terminal, or do you have to walk 1/4 mile to the terminal?

3 hours ago, jerick said:

Can a ride share drop you off at the terminal, or do you have to walk 1/4 mile to the terminal?

As @Glaciers stated, you will be dropped off in front of the departures entrance, ideally at your airline's check in location, on the departures level.  But for reference, if you are arriving in Seattle and picking up a rideshare, you have to go to level 3 of the parking garage, and ride share pickup is there.

https://www.portseattle.org/sea-tac/ground-transportation/app-based-rideshare

47 minutes ago, jeromep said:

As @Glaciers stated, you will be dropped off in front of the departures entrance, ideally at your airline's check in location, on the departures level.  But for reference, if you are arriving in Seattle and picking up a rideshare, you have to go to level 3 of the parking garage, and ride share pickup is there.

https://www.portseattle.org/sea-tac/ground-transportation/app-based-rideshare

I believe the question and answer were about drop off and pick up at Pier 91, not at the airport.

On 4/23/2024 at 4:12 PM, jerick said:

On 4/23/2024 at 4:45 PM, Glaciers said:

They can drop at the terminal.

Per the port's website ride share can neither drop you off nor pick you up at Pier 91, they must use the ride share lot for both. This was also mentioned on another thread by @Ferry_Watcher, a very reliable source of information who is employed at Pier 91.

https://www.portseattle.org/places/smith-cove-cruise-terminal-pier-91

"Convenient Drop Off and Pick Up

Ground transportation lot located near terminal entrance providing passengers with easy access to bus parking, taxis (load/unload), airport shuttle service, and private vehicle drop off.

Dedicated app-based rideshare lot for drop off or pick up.

Cell phone waiting lot for convenient passenger pick up."

Edited by njhorseman

@njhorseman

Yes, I agree @Ferry_Watcher is a wealth of cruise information, particularly for Pier 91. This from their previous post which indicates embarking passengers are dropped at the terminal. It does seem to deviate from the Port’s website although I’d like to get a confirmation from Ferry_Watcher. It’s from 2019 so things may have changed. Did you see a more recent post from them?

“The Uber/Lyft area is just used in the mornings for passengers disembarking.  All passengers arriving to embark (Uber/Lyft, bus, private car, town car, etc) are dropped off in the driveway area close to the Terminal 91 building.”

This  map may be  out of date as well but is on the Port's site but indicates the ride share lot is for pick up.

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/default/files/2021-08/Terminal 91 Map.pdf

Edited by Glaciers
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

@njhorseman

Yes, I agree @Ferry_Watcher is a wealth of cruise information, particularly for Pier 91. This from their previous post which indicates embarking passengers are dropped at the terminal. It does seem to deviate from the Port’s website although I’d like to get a confirmation from Ferry_Watcher. It’s from 2019 so things may have changed. Did you see a more recent post from them?

“The Uber/Lyft area is just used in the mornings for passengers disembarking.  All passengers arriving to embark (Uber/Lyft, bus, private car, town car, etc) are dropped off in the driveway area close to the Terminal 91 building.”

This  map may be  out of date as well but is on the Port's site but indicates the ride share lot is for pick up.

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/default/files/2021-08/Terminal 91 Map.pdf

I cited the current page on the official port website, and @Ferry_Watcher's post was just made today. I have to believe today's website and today's post over something from 2019.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3005251-seattle-pier-91-transportation/#comment-67297512

"If you use a Chauffeur type service, then you can be dropped off and picked up along the 'U' shaped drive area.  This is where the taxis, buses, friends/family along with the chauffeur vehicles can access.  The Uber/Lyft drivers have their own drop off area about 1/4 mile from the terminal.  There is a shuttle that can transport you from the Uber/Lyft lot."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, princeton123211 said:

What city? Assuming Seattle based on Pier 66. 

I just was in Seattle for a week for work and frankly can't remember if I even saw a traditional taxi. Like most cities they are nearly extinct. I would just use Uber or Lyft-- very reliable and you can also schedule in advance. 

We have lots of taxis in San Diego.  I see them all the time.  I usually use taxis, especially from the airport.   I hate having to walk up and down through the ubers hunting for the correct license plate.   

Taxis are also better than users from the airport to downtown and vv. Because it is only 3-4 miles, a lot of ubers won't accept the assignment because it's too little money. Taxis are required to accept all fares at the airport.  

2 hours ago, Eric from San Diego said:

We have lots of taxis in San Diego.  I see them all the time.  I usually use taxis, especially from the airport.   I hate having to walk up and down through the ubers hunting for the correct license plate.   

Good for you? This is all personal preference. And while they might still be kicking in SD that’s not the case for a majority of US cities. San Diego is a very small city and they might have held on- not the case most other places. 

2 hours ago, Eric from San Diego said:

Taxis are also better than users from the airport to downtown and vv. Because it is only 3-4 miles, a lot of ubers won't accept the assignment because it's too little money. Taxis are required to accept all fares at the airport.  

This statement is broad, misleading, and only (sort of) applicable to San Diego. This thread is about Seattle. Most companies I work with now won’t even accept receipts from taxis because of how they can be forged. Taxis in most places are dirty and old. Much better experiences using ride shares.

Not cruise related but we've used Yellow cab twice in the past year....from hotel on 1st Hill to a hospital also on 1st HIll & from the Seattle Airport Marriott to the Airport - needed to be dropped at the Departures level at the airport due to recent spine surgery & the Marriott shuttle wouldn't do that....both times the cabs were there in a reasonable amount of time, vehicles were clean & drivers were pleasant.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Edited by 57redbird
ETA
  • Like 1