Horseshoe Bay tragedy

Charles4515

Lifeguards are not on duty until May 1. This happened in late March. One man drowned who was a passenger on NCL Getaway trying to help a child. It is only the last few years that many cruise ships visited out of season. NCL is doing those visits. There really should be lifeguards there for those days. Since NCL is the cruise line doing most of the out of season ships perhaps they could pay for lifeguards on those port days. They do have excursions there. Or else warn passengers there no lifeguards until May. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/general/news/article/20240420/horseshoe-beach-rescuer-describes-scene-of-tragedy/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Some insurance guy is reading this and licking their chops. 

Only have seen this a handful of times-- like Seabourn or SeaDream when they have private beach days. 

Yes, private beach days on their private beach. Not NCL lifeguards on a Bermuda beach. Do the NCL guards watch only the people from the ship? Do they watch Joe from Bermuda and his family? Dumb idea, be extra careful at Non guarded beaches just like I'm extra careful while renting a boat in Bermuda and swimming in the water knowing no guards are around to save me

It was terrible tragedy all around, the man who died lives very close to me 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Take the guards from the ship and send them to the beach? Never going to happen

I don't think Bermuda would allow that plus the lifeguards on the ship would not be properly trained for Bermuda conditions like Man o Wars. What NCL could do is subsidize Bermuda extending their lifeguard season at Horseshoe. Or they could just warn passengers that there are no lifeguards at Horseshoe until May 1. All the south shore beaches can have rip tides so there could be a general warning lifeguards or not. Most of the time I have not felt strong currents at Horseshoe but conditions change. The worst current I encountered was once at Elbow Beach and there won't be lifeguards there at any time. 

• Like 1