Extended balcony or Aft Balcony?

1 minute ago, Cruise4food said:

I am fairly sure that will be a storage and working room for the room attendants. 

Thank you. We had the opportunity in the past, years ago, on the original Ryndham, to experience Neptune. It was awesome. What confused me was the space between the available cabin and the aft verandah beside the Neptune. I would guess if this is working/storage space it should be quiet except for during AM/PM refresh.  

I think we are cross texting at the same time. So the ‘empty space’ between the cabins in my latest scenario is not actually empty. I appreciate all the clarification. 
In summary, our original itinerary had two awesome options that I started this thread about. The updated itinerary we are more interested in does not have these cabins available. The two that may be most quiet that it does have are not up against blank/quiet space, but against another cabin. 
Thank you all for your input. It’s truly been really helpful. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like 7149 on the Oosterdam is no longer a top choice for you, but I was in the cabin last month, and thought I would provide these photos. In truth, it is a pretty typical verandah cabin except the verandah is slightly longer than normal. I was very happy with it, no issues except that when I moved in, the toilet flush was a little wonky. I reported it, and it was fixed. I’ve never had a problem with soot in any cabin. As is common for a stern cabin, when we were in port there was often an unsightly ship docked right behind us as in the photo. Not a big deal. The stern location was wonderful for transiting the Panama Canal!

7D617743-B0E1-45C3-BD9D-7CB5796DFFEF2024-03-19_09-56-21_829.jpeg

02B57951-004C-4A67-B239-D731BD2917B32024-03-19_11-56-15_865.jpeg

91E164A8-DAE3-451F-B015-152CA1B4CBA42024-03-19_09-56-31_926.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Mike B. These pictures are quite helpful. Looks like that verandah was indeed deeper with more seating options. Was that furniture in place, or did you need to request the loungers? I am surprised to see both. We would definitely enjoy that. 
We are still looking at both options. One is more attractive than the other, with more unvisited ports. We have not sailed HAL in a long time. These two itineraries and another on a different line are our top three choices for next year. 

Edited by Vineyard View

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you Mike B. These pictures are quite helpful. Looks like that verandah was indeed deeper with more seating options. Was that furniture in place, or did you need to request the loungers? I am surprised to see both. We would definitely enjoy that. 
We are still looking at both options. One is more attractive than the other, with more unvisited ports. We have not sailed HAL in a long time. These two itineraries and another on a different line are our top three choices for next year. 

These were taken minutes after I arrived, you can see my carryon and jacket slung by the couch, so HAL already had the loungers in place. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 3:42 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are looking at sailing the Oosterdam for the first time. In looking up cabin sizes the balcony cabins have a wide range in size. How does one go about finding the larger?  216 sq ft would feel pretty tight, but the larger end of the range is attractive?  In trying to find this information, I came across two options that caught my attention. Cabin 7149 aft….and 4166 with the extended balcony. We tend to use our balcony quite a bit, so both have their distinct advantages. Does anyone have experience and thoughts on these locations as well as interior space?

We also looked a Signature suite 6115. Not sure if these are worth the extra cost?  
thank you in advance

We will be in 4164 on the Oosterdam TA in October and are definitely looking forward to that extended balcony.   Our PCC told us that 4164 and 4166 are very popular and usually among the first to be booked.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

We will be in 4164 on the Oosterdam TA in October and are definitely looking forward to that extended balcony.   Our PCC told us that 4164 and 4166 are very popular and usually among the first to be booked.  

That is what I read on a blog, which is actually how I learned about them!  Enjoy!

6 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

We quite enjoyed ours, but do still prefer a true aft for AK.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, Haljo1935 said:

We quite enjoyed ours, but do still prefer a true aft for AK.

I can understand why certain sailing regions would be more attractive to aft. AK would make complete sense to me. 

• Like 1

I am back again with yet another similar question to my topic. On this second itinerary that caught my eye, Oosterdam, deck 8, verandah can in 8145 - it’s under the pool area. That seems maybe a bit dicey from a sound standpoint?  The extended balcony in 4166 is also available on this sailing. Western Mediterranean. Thank you once again for input. I appreciate it 

We were in an 8th deck aft wrap on the Oosterdam and I was worried about noise from the pool area but the only thing we heard occasionally was chairs.  Noise from other passengers is the same as cabin neighbors.   Friends of ours had one of the other deck 8 afts and chose the cruise because of it.  They had previously been on the Oosterdam and he had gone down to the same aft on deck 4 and asked the occupants if they liked it.  They said "never again" and showed him the view of the window washing machines that were always there.  I think I recently saw an aft photo of the Oosterdam on Jeff Farschman's blog and the window washing machines are there. 

I would not choose deck 4 and we have another deck 8 aft wrap booked for 2026.  I will however keep my eye open for a deck 6 or 7 if one becomes available.   Hope this helps, Cherie  

36 minutes ago, cccole said:

We were in an 8th deck aft wrap on the Oosterdam and I was worried about noise from the pool area but the only thing we heard occasionally was chairs.  Noise from other passengers is the same as cabin neighbors.   Friends of ours had one of the other deck 8 afts and chose the cruise because of it.  They had previously been on the Oosterdam and he had gone down to the same aft on deck 4 and asked the occupants if they liked it.  They said "never again" and showed him the view of the window washing machines that were always there.  I think I recently saw an aft photo of the Oosterdam on Jeff Farschman's blog and the window washing machines are there. 

I would not choose deck 4 and we have another deck 8 aft wrap booked for 2026.  I will however keep my eye open for a deck 6 or 7 if one becomes available.   Hope this helps, Cherie  

Helps a lot!  Thank you. 

The cabin on deck 4 is not aft that I was referring to. It is an extended (depth and width) balcony verandah. Not sure if that makes a difference in your deck 4 opinion?  We’ve never been on Oosterdam. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Oh, sorry.  Yes it would make a difference to me that it is not an aft cabin and I would consider it.  But I will say that we loved Deck 8.  Great views from our balcony, it's an easy walk up to the Lido to grab a quick bite to eat or bring back to the cabin, and also the aft pool bar was wonderful.  On your Med cruise you might be enjoying the pool which we did not use but I loved the location.  Cherie  

2 hours ago, cccole said:

Oh, sorry.  Yes it would make a difference to me that it is not an aft cabin and I would consider it.  But I will say that we loved Deck 8.  Great views from our balcony, it's an easy walk up to the Lido to grab a quick bite to eat or bring back to the cabin, and also the aft pool bar was wonderful.  On your Med cruise you might be enjoying the pool which we did not use but I loved the location.  Cherie  

Thank you very much Cherie!  I sincerely appreciate this! 

You are welcome!  You'll love the Oosterdam if you enjoy a smaller ship, we did.  You might check out amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com.  Jeff's photos and port reviews are amazing.  They are on the Oosterdam and have recently been in the Med,  Cherie

Edited by cccole