Haven restaurant

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I'm not interested in attentive and up my rear or fancy schmancy - I'm a tshirt and shorts gal remember. We drink wine out of red solo cups for pure laziness of not having to hand wash the stemware when we're done.

But more in the lines of the Haven staff do a better job of learning which of us want to be left alone, and who wants to be doted on. So I feel like in the Haven I can have a conversation without someone hovering and watching, or constantly interrupting. They know how to sneak in like ninjas and refill my water or top off my wine. It doesn't feel like a forced respectfulness, just more go with the flow. There also tends to be less hiccups, and the space in general is just more calming to me.

Ok. That makes more sense and is so much more in line with what I thought your ethos were! I suppose if I think about it, the same happens to us. The servers that get to know us well know that my husband will talk forever, while I'd prefer to just sit there, look grumpy (I'm not grumpy, just look it) and enjoy the peacefulness around me.

• Like 1

We're limited to what we'll eat on the Haven menu, and i do wish they would consistently bring back a nightly special. 

Count me for not a huge fan of the lunch menu. For any other fellow non fans ... many times I've ordered from the room service menu for lunch and had my butler deliver it to the Haven Courtyard. I like the Greek Salad. Depending on the ship, it can be small (more like a side salad) so i might order a double portion in a single bowl. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I like the Haven Restaurant.  That said, I always have SDP with my FAS and Latitudes.  So, I can mix it up.

Haven food is always prepared very well, is of high quality and served promptly and attentively in a friendly manner.

Sailed the Retreat on Celebrity.  Their version of the Haven Restaurant is Luminae.  Rotating menus but not nearly as many choices as the Haven menu on any given sitting.  

So, kind of a toss up for me.  Personally, I like the Haven restaurant supplemented by my FAS SDP dining options.  

Luminae's choices, while rotating, are a bit too "out there" most of the time for me.  It may be my palette isn't very sophisticated, too.

Ahh but that's the beauty of Luminae which makes it "better" - you have not only that menu, but MDR and Blue available to you every meal every night. 

I found the meals from their menu too foo foo, but hubby and MIL loved it. So I often picked something from MDR but had the super attentive service of Luminae. Service in Luminae is heads above even Haven. Pillow service, bread girl, somollier visiting every time not just when you ask....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Ahh but that's the beauty of Luminae which makes it "better" - you have not only that menu, but MDR and Blue available to you every meal every night. 

I found the meals from their menu too foo foo, but hubby and MIL loved it. So I often picked something from MDR but had the super attentive service of Luminae. Service in Luminae is heads above even Haven. Pillow service, bread girl, somollier visiting every time not just when you ask....

Wow! I haven’t experienced a somollier since my Celebrity days! It was a treat.

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

To me, the idea of going to the buffet during prime times causes anxiety. So on ships where you have to even walk through it just to get where you're going is a big ick to me - forget about trying to actually eat there. MDR can be very crowded, busy, loud, and just not pleasant. So nights where I need a safe quiet place to just veg and talk without having to shout - we go and eat in the Haven. 

That’s Me! You are not alone with those feelings. 

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

LOVED Blu on my EDGE sailing....way better than I did Luminae.

I do supplement Haven dining with the SDP for variety.  Love Food Republic on NCL as an example.  I could dine there 3 times cruise and still want to go back to explore other menu items.

Just noted the Luminae menu, while changing, is pretty small compared to the "every nite" menu in Haven.

That said, I've been able to get MDR choices in the Haven.  Don't order them often, but I have done that in the past.

I like both Haven Restaurant and Retreat Luminae on Celebrity, just for different reasons.

14 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I likewise found the Luminae restaurant offerings lacking.  When we sailed in a suite on X, we ate most of our meals in Blu, instead.  It just had a more soothing vibe and the food was outstanding.  One time the F&B director stopped by our table to ask why we weren't up in Luminae (reserved exclusively for Retreat guests, i.e. kinda like Haven).  We explained that Blu suited us better.  He just shook his head and implied that as suite passengers we were supposed to dine in Luminae.  We finally did break down and have one more meal up there.  I still was not impressed.  Yes, I know this is the NCL forum, not X, but it's fun to make comparisons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

Wow! I haven’t experienced a somollier since my Celebrity days! It was a treat.

Only a few of the crew members on X with the sommelier title actually are certified sommeliers.  The rest are wine stewards in training.  Nonetheless, the crews on X ships have a significantly greater ratio of certified sommeliers per passenger than you find on most NCL ships.  They also usually have several dozen wine stewards with the sommelier title on each ship, so several in each restaurant.  The wine service on X ships is head and shoulders above that on NCL, IMO.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:41 AM, Sailing12Away said:

To me, the idea of going to the buffet during prime times causes anxiety.

Agreed.  Out of more than 340 evenings spent on board NCL ships, I think we have eaten dinner in the buffet maybe once or twice.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That said, I've been able to get MDR choices in the Haven.  Don't order them often, but I have done that in the past.

See, and that's my issue - I have never been able to go 'off menu' in the Haven restaurant without feeling guilty like I'm asking someone to hand roll bucatini from scratch as they stomp on the grapes to make my wine to pair with it. Even trying to talk to the concierge ahead of time and pre-plan for later in the week... it's always a hesitant "well, yeah, I guess we could maybe sort of possibly, I'm not sure, we'll have to let you know". Had chatted with a F&B manager once during one of the meet & greets and she said it would be no problem to get Indian food up there one night, but every time we asked we were always told to just go to the buffet. So not sure if we're asking the wrong people at the wrong times, have had bad luck or caught crew at bad moments, or if we just need to put our NY foot down and say "I want xyz on Thursday night - make it happen."

Getting specific food to our cabin from the butler has never been an issue, but the dining tables in most of those cabins is barely big enough for 2 plates of breakfast items, let alone a multi-course dinner meal. So we don't usually bother unless we know one person is eating from the coffee table on the couch while the other is at the "dinner" table.

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I likewise found the Luminae restaurant offerings lacking.  When we sailed in a suite on X, we ate most of our meals in Blu, instead.  It just had a more soothing vibe and the food was outstanding.  One time the F&B director stopped by our table to ask why we weren't up in Luminae (reserved exclusively for Retreat guests, i.e. kinda like Haven).  We explained that Blu suited us better.  He just shook his head and implied that as suite passengers we were supposed to dine in Luminae.  We finally did break down and have one more meal up there.  I still was not impressed.  Yes, I know this is the NCL forum, not X, but it's fun to make comparisons.

Not counting the Galapagos as that's an entirely different entity in itself, our next Celebrity trip we're doing an Aqua cabin. Not because we enjoy the spa (have never stepped foot in one in over 12 trips), but because the price for the Retreat is egregious and the ship we'll be on wasn't even retrofitted yet - so you're paying top level suite prices for a restaurant only. We opted to try Aqua as it will give us a private place in Blu to go to, so treating it like the "Haven Light" approach that others have done with NCL. We'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Only a few of the crew members on X with the sommelier title actually are certified sommeliers.  The rest are wine stewards in training.  Nonetheless, the crews on X ships have a significantly greater ratio of certified sommeliers per passenger than you find on most NCL ships.  They also usually have several dozen wine stewards with the sommelier title on each ship, so several in each restaurant.  The wine service on X ships is head and shoulders above that on NCL, IMO.

Too bad their actual wine choices don't compare though... Service on Celebrity hands down, but actual wine choices - NCL hands down. The only place you can get decent wine on Celebrity is within Luminae, not even in the Retreat lounge. So unless you're eating dinner - good luck.

8 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I’m nowhere near that number (maybe a tenth) but I know we have eaten exactly ZERO dinners there.

I will eat in the Buffet.  But, it's either for a LATE lunch, after the crowds have dissipated, or a Late Snack (again, after the crowd has dissipated) after a long day off the ship and I don't feel like being "fussed" over in the Haven restaurant.

Nice having Room Service for breakfast in a Haven cabin, though.  I do love the Nespresso machines in room.

4 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Too bad their actual wine choices don't compare though... Service on Celebrity hands down, but actual wine choices - NCL hands down. The only place you can get decent wine on Celebrity is within Luminae, not even in the Retreat lounge. So unless you're eating dinner - good luck.

Some of the wines on X, notably those available in Luminae or the Retreat Lounge are quite good, IMO.  I would say they compare favorably to the wines available on NCL with the standard beverage package.  Some of the wines served in the Haven or available with the Plus package, though, can be better than the typical wine on X.  Or maybe my palate just isn't sophisticated enough to know the difference.

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I will eat in the Buffet.  But, it's either for a LATE lunch, after the crowds have dissipated, or a Late Snack (again, after the crowd has dissipated) after a long day off the ship and I don't feel like being "fussed" over in the Haven restaurant.

Nice having Room Service for breakfast in a Haven cabin, though.  I do love the Nespresso machines in room.

I hate buffets, especially on a crowded cruise ship. But yes, if it is in a hurry or what you’re describing then ok.

Kind of a related question: what is with the people that camp out and monopolize the tables? Eat and GTFO. Don’t play cards, don’t read, etc. Other people need the dining tables to…dine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

See, and that's my issue - I have never been able to go 'off menu' in the Haven restaurant without feeling guilty like I'm asking someone to hand roll bucatini from scratch as they stomp on the grapes to make my wine to pair with it. Even trying to talk to the concierge ahead of time and pre-plan for later in the week... it's always a hesitant "well, yeah, I guess we could maybe sort of possibly, I'm not sure, we'll have to let you know". Had chatted with a F&B manager once during one of the meet & greets and she said it would be no problem to get Indian food up there one night, but every time we asked we were always told to just go to the buffet. So not sure if we're asking the wrong people at the wrong times, have had bad luck or caught crew at bad moments, or if we just need to put our NY foot down and say "I want xyz on Thursday night - make it happen."

I used to feel the same way.  My attitude got adjusted after having a few dinners with officers.  WOW, did those folks go off menu.  Remember the diner scene in "When Harry Met Sally" when Meg Ryan spent about five minutes explaining exactly how she wanted her food prepared?  Meg was a piker compared to some of the NCL officers with whom we have dined.  Sauce on the side.  Rice instead of noodles.  Grill the meat instead of broil it.  Broccoli instead of green beans.  They would go on and on, and not just the GMs and Captains.  After a few times of listening to both senior and junior officers request all kinds of menu substitutions, I lost my inhibitions to do the same, particularly when dining in the Haven or a specialty restaurant.  Try it.  It works.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Kind of a related question: what is with the people that camp out and monopolize the tables? Eat and GTFO. Don’t play cards, don’t read, etc. Other people need the dining tables to…dine.

Kind of like chair hogs?

4 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I hate buffets, especially on a crowded cruise ship. But yes, if it is in a hurry or what you’re describing then ok.

Poor ship design. There's no other good indoor spots for folks to camp out and set up (according to them), so they hog those spaces. The worst were the folks doing it in the in Indulge Food Hall on Prima. The seating in there was even more limited than a buffet area, and unlike the buffet you HAVE to be at a table to even order and get food (unless you find a seat at the truck, but then you can only order from that 1 truck alone, which defeats the point of a food hall). 

NCL needs to just give staff the authority to recognize the difference between a crowded eating venue and people needing seats to eat, vs a quiet time of day when anything goes - and to enforce appropriately when needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Not counting the Galapagos as that's an entirely different entity in itself, our next Celebrity trip we're doing an Aqua cabin. Not because we enjoy the spa (have never stepped foot in one in over 12 trips), but because the price for the Retreat is egregious and the ship we'll be on wasn't even retrofitted yet - so you're paying top level suite prices for a restaurant only. We opted to try Aqua as it will give us a private place in Blu to go to, so treating it like the "Haven Light" approach that others have done with NCL. We'll see how that goes.

Sounds like a good approach.  The only X ships we have sailed are the Edge class.  The Retreat staterooms there are night and day different from the standard "Infinite Veranda" rooms.  The lounge also is spectacular.  I agree that in recent years the price of Retreat rooms has gone out of sight, so our last few X trips have been in Verandas.  We really miss the wonderful dining experience of Blu, though, so we may follow your suggestion and go Aqua next time.  The staterooms are the same as standard, and we likewise don't get much benefit from the spa, but access to Blu may make it worth the money.  Also, too bad that NCL doesn't feature dining experiences to compare with X specialty restaurants like Eden or Le Voyage by Daniel Boulud.