Icon - Updates since inaugural? UDP?

Posted (edited)

Has anyone seen any post inaugural update YouTube's or in-depth reports since the Icon inaugural?  I've skimmed through the threads here and there are some post-inaugural posts on very specific topics, but I haven't seen many general reviews or YouTube videos posted (even some of the more recently posted YouTube content seems to actually be from the inaugural).  Very curious how things are going....it seemed many reported the first few weeks of cruising offered lots of "special" offerings (like lobster in the buffet) and capacity was capped.  Curious now that Icon is (I would guess) on a "normal" schedule and full capacity how things are going.

Also, I asked before and had a few responses, but any changes to the UDP offerings on Icon?  There were some venues where it was a bit unclear what UDP offered that I am wondering if any changes have been made.

Edited by ocdb8r

• ocdb8r changed the title to Icon - Updates since inaugural? UDP?

I just saw one from sisters who look like twins but are not, who were on recently.  You tube has some but the hype has died down.  These girls loved her.

I will be boarding her this Saturday. 😬 I’ll try to provide updates. We only have the 3 night dining package but will see if there are any significant changes to the UDP.

2 hours ago, ocdb8r said:

Has anyone seen any post inaugural update YouTube's or in-depth reports since the Icon inaugural?  I've skimmed through the threads here and there are some post-inaugural posts on very specific topics, but I haven't seen many general reviews or YouTube videos posted (even some of the more recently posted YouTube content seems to actually be from the inaugural).  Very curious how things are going....it seemed many reported the first few weeks of cruising offered lots of "special" offerings (like lobster in the buffet) and capacity was capped.  Curious now that Icon is (I would guess) on a "normal" schedule and full capacity how things are going.

Also, I asked before and had a few responses, but any changes to the UDP offerings on Icon?  There were some venues where it was a bit unclear what UDP offered that I am wondering if any changes have been made.

Facebook groups is where the action is at these days.

I joined a few ahead of our cruise last month. There continues to be hundreds of posts about the ship, the hype is very much there, just perhaps moved to where normal people and not cruise addicts hang out!

She’s a fantastic ship. We loved our week onboard. Best cruise we’ve ever done and already pricing up another trip on her, maybe not next year, but 2026!

• Like 3

MDR is still showing lobster tails served on two separate nights in Dining room, unsure on embarkation lunch if its still including lobster, filets, ect.

I know Hard Rock and Royal collaboration meant a new special burger that gets served at their locations in Basecamp for free this week, unsure if that will continue for subsequent sailings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arya23 said:

I will be boarding her this Saturday. 😬 I’ll try to provide updates. We only have the 3 night dining package but will see if there are any significant changes to the UDP.

I was on Icon last week. I'm probably not the best to answer dining questions, but might be able to assist with others. Not sure how many people were onboard, but I was very pleasantly surprised how good the service was, how small lines were, and overall how efficient things seemed to run. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmurchake said:

I was on Icon last week. I'm probably not the best to answer dining questions, but might be able to assist with others. Not sure how many people were onboard, but I was very pleasantly surprised how good the service was, how small lines were, and overall how efficient things seemed to run. 

Is all the Icon merch that showed up in the cabin in the beginning no longer a thing? Like the Icon hats etc. I'm assuming that stopped after the first few sailings. 

14 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

Is all the Icon merch that showed up in the cabin in the beginning no longer a thing? Like the Icon hats etc. I'm assuming that stopped after the first few sailings. 

I did not receive anything in my balcony stateroom

25 minutes ago, cmurchake said:

That's far different from a post on another social media site--not FB. That post said passengers were rude and the main pool was closed every day because someone continuously used it as either an upchuck bucket ( subtle comment on food?) or a loo for #2.🤢

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

That's far different from a post on another social media site--not FB. That post said passengers were rude and the main pool was closed every day because someone continuously used it as either an upchuck bucket ( subtle comment on food?) or a loo for #2.🤢

Luckily I didn't experience rude passengers. I did read on FB many people complaining about kids. I will say that there were a ton on this sailing, way more than I've ever seen, but it did not ruin my time at all.

The main pool was closed several times...not sure it was every day though. The good news is there are many pools to choose from, but like almost every other ship, the pools are going to be crowded at peak time no matter what. 

I think some of the beauty of cruising is that 2 people can be on the same cruise and have wildly different experiences. It really can come down to what you make of it. I prefer to go with the flow and enjoy rather than nitpick or critique every little detail.

Edited by cmurchake
  • Like 3

We were on Icon in mid-April with the UDP.  AMAZING time! Group of 9 of us, all Diamond or Diamond Plus and we agreed it was just an amazing ship and a great cruise.  

We went right to Izumi after boarding to try and book all of our dining for the week.  We were able to get everything we wanted except for an Izumi Hibachi Lunch. 

One thing I had seen conflicting reports on was using the UDP for Izumi in the Park and they had a list and we had a $10 credit per person every day so we got snacks there quite often. Playmakers and Basecamp were great combining our UDP credits so we could get a ton of food. 

Windjammer definitely seemed a little bit upgraded.  They had whole burrata one night?!?! Always had multiple fresh action stations, and like others said steak and lots of seafood the first lunch.

Let me know if you had any other specific questions but we thought it was great and we're just hoping that Star will help prices get back to a more normal range soon!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies.  Sounds like for the most part things have continued smoothly and some of the upgraded items have remained.

Any reports on how busy (or not busy) the Hideaway (adults only area) is?  Looks like the sort of place we'd like to hang, but concerned it's fairly small for such a big ship.  What about the Overlook (up front on deck 14).  This is another area that looks like a nice place to relax.

Finally, any more reports on Pearl Cafe?  Some of the food/snack offerings there looked so good on the inaugural cruise (and the cynic in me keeps thinking they're going to cut these or start charging).

Hideaway was great. Think of it as like a mini Vegas dayclub. Pool was pretty crowded during prime times, but we still got in quite a bit. The seating fills up fast so we normally got seats somewhere in Thrill Island and then walked over to Hideaway. There are servers who will deliver drinks to you right in the pool which was fantastic.

The Overlook was a pretty cool spot with lots of cool seating and views. The Overlook bar wasn't always open, but Rye and Bean bar was every time I was there. The Aquadome market is right there as well for some food. You can also watch practice of Aqua Action which was pretty neat. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 11:06 AM, SE fla said:

I will have the 3 night dining package as well. Please review your experience in those dining locations? Thank you so much. 

Hi! We were able to book our specialty dining right at the terminal kiosk (2nd flr). We booked Chops Grill & Giovanni’s. We were told by the staff that the 3 night package applies to Playmakers as well and we get $20 food credit, no reservations needed. Unfortunately, the Playmakers staff informed us thereafter that it’s only the UDP that can be used at that location. So we ended up booking another dinner at Chops 😬. Chops & Giovanni’s were excellent! Great food and service. We also had lunch at Hooked (a family member treated our whole group) and that was also a great experience. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I know over 20 people who have now sailed on Icon. The feedback I have heard is pretty consistent…Icon is a great ship for families, not so great if you don’t like thousand(s) of kids on a ship. Personally I liked Icon and have another cruise booked on her (NYE this year) and I have a cruise booked on Star next year. But overall Oasis is still my favorite RCI ship class. 

• Like 1