Not feeling Puerto Plata tours

None of the tour offerings are really grabbing me. Is there something close to or right off the ship to see/do just to be able to say we were off the ship?

Never been there before and am not into many of the activities for which tours are offered (snorkel, zip line, and the rest).  Typically ideal for my first visit somewhere would be an island drive just to get an overall look around.   Thus far the photos I've seen aren't making me really excited for that either.

Thinking save the money? RCCL is doing a tour via "classic car" but idk if their idea of a classic car is like a 57 caddy or a 70s pinto. Lol  any experience? 

Our first time there we took a shore excursion that got us around town, a museum and a rum factory.  We just wanted to see the area.

At the port, there is a pool, shops, bars with no need to leave to leave.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Our first time there we took a shore excursion that got us around town, a museum and a rum factory.  We just wanted to see the area.

At the port, there is a pool, shops, bars with no need to leave to leave.

Was it very scenic? I feel like the ohotos aren't helping.  

53 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Was it very scenic? I feel like the ohotos aren't helping.  

The area is not what I’d call scenic.  Stay by the pool or go to a beach if that’s what you want.

• Thanks 1

We did Moneyland adventures which was great, then took a walk into town after we got back to the port and saw Pink Street & Umbrella Street and had a look round the shops.

• Thanks 1

In December did the tour to the top of Mount Isabelle to see the views from the cable car station and to see the Christ the Redeemer statue. Then our bus took us to town, where we had a guided tour of the chocolate factory and the downtown area. The next time we went we stayed in the port area, had lunch and shopped. 

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

• Like 2

I went on a walk from the port to the Fort (took me less than 15 minutes to walk. Photos there, walked to the coastline the other direction from the port (5-10 minutes walk), then to umbrella street. 

Was back in the port in around an hour. 

Was solo (wife did waterfall and zipwire excursion in the morning whilst I did the monkeys and pool with children in the port then we switched and I had a local wander)

Pool Is decent sized, music too loud (subjective but I had to shout within 1m of my children for them to hear..), lazy river good. Shops overpriced 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We went to the Waterfalls and had an amazing day.

How is the walking there? I'm just concerned because neither of us is getting any younger or more fit. Lol

58 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

How is the walking there? I'm just concerned because neither of us is getting any younger or more fit. Lol

It is actually quite a hike.  Uphill for about 2 miles and then you take the waterfalls down.  

RIMG0031.jpeg

RIMG0053.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

It is actually quite a hike.  Uphill for about 2 miles and then you take the waterfalls down.  

RIMG0031.jpeg

RIMG0053.jpeg

Love how you say you can take the waterfalls down...lmao...that is unless my clumsy butt falls down the entire way. Lol

Edited by sadiwest
  • Like 1

Puerto Plata has a lot of unpaved roads. In January, I nearly threw my back out because of the rough trip to our beach. If I ever return there, I would just hang out at the pool that's right at the pier.

• Thanks 1