Discovery Princess Dining Changes Effective May 4 '24

Posted (edited)

O'Malley's Irish Pub debuts on Discovery starting tomorrow, May 4, for this season's 1st Alaska Cruise. 

Sabatini's and The Catch by Rudi are switching locations. Effective tomorrow May 4 Sabatini's will move up to Deck 7 and The Catch by Rudi is moving downstairs to Deck 5.  

20240503_221007.jpg

20240503_220941.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• suzyluvs2cruise changed the title to Discovery Princess Dining Changes Effective May 4 '24

Looks like O'Malley's took the place of the Salty Dog Gastropub - maybe an Irish Pub might hold up better to being right behind the bandstand than the Salty Dog did. We spent a meal having our eardrums assaulted by the "party band" there not long ago.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up - we’ll be on Discovery Princess in a few weeks and definitely good to know about the changes.

Does O’Malley’s count as casual dining for the purpose of Princess Plus?

1 hour ago, ev98 said:

Thanks for the heads up - we’ll be on Discovery Princess in a few weeks and definitely good to know about the changes.

Does O’Malley’s count as casual dining for the purpose of Princess Plus?

Yes it's a Casual Dining restaurant 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I loved the GastroPub but I am sure I will equally like O’Malley’s.  I am hoping that O’Malley’s will be open for lunch, at least on sea days.  Some have mentioned it would be.  🤞 

Edit:  just clicked on the link above and looks like my wish will come true .. lunch on sea days!  

I have also heard it was going to take over the ice cream venue .. looks like that was rumor from the photos shown.  It looks like a gorgeous new venue for us to enjoy as it is.  

I never minded the venue for The Catch being on deck 7 but think it will be in a friendlier venue for those that didn’t like its location.  For those that book Sabatini’s, I’m sure the same complaints will exist but Princess probably did their due diligence before making this decision.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I loved the GastroPub but I am sure I will equally like O’Malley’s.  I am hoping that O’Malley’s will be open for lunch, at least on sea days.  Some have mentioned it would be.  🤞 

Edit:  just clicked on the link above and looks like my wish will come true .. lunch on sea days!  

I have also heard it was going to take over the ice cream venue .. looks like that was rumor from the photos shown.  It looks like a gorgeous new venue for us to enjoy as it is.  

I never minded the venue for The Catch being on deck 7 but think it will be in a friendlier venue for those that didn’t like its location.  For those that book Sabatini’s, I’m sure the same complaints will exist but Princess probably did their due diligence before making this decision.  

The chart posted above previously showed The Salty Dog Gastropub on Discovery as open for lunch on Sea Days. While the venue was open the menu was the pop up Crab Shack. This was on 2/24/24 (7nt Mexico) and 3/16/24 (15nt Hawaii) cruises. We were very disappointed and never got a chance to try it. We're just off the 4/27/24 Coastal cruise where we did get to try the menu (in the Crown Grill on Sea Days) as renovations were going on. I think they did that as many were not happy that Salty Dog and Gelato were not available.

I asked an officer with quite a few stripes and he said that O'Malley's would be the Crab Shack on Sea Days at lunch. While we wouldn't have done Salty Dog menu for dinner I think we'd give O'Malley's menu a go for dinner. I also asked about the Sabatini's and The Catch location switch and was told Corporate wanted to make deck 7 an Italian themed area. There were some decor changes and new signage during last week and on night 7 ....after dinner service...waiters were were moving lots of carts between the 2 venues. I'm hoping it works well but we like Sabatini's and am not sure how the ambiance will be with having it open on the Piazza. Time will tell..... 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

Any idea where the breakfast for suites is served on Discovery after the changes? I know on many ships it's in Sabatini's but am wondering if it would be in The Catch on Discovery in the space formerly occupied by Sabatini's. 

11 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

The chart posted above previously showed The Salty Dog Gastropub on Discovery as open for lunch on Sea Days. While the venue was open the menu was the pop up Crab Shack. This was on 2/24/24 (7nt Mexico) and 3/16/24 (15nt Hawaii) cruises. We were very disappointed and never got a chance to try it. We're just off the 4/27/24 Coastal cruise where we did get to try the menu (in the Crown Grill on Sea Days) as renovations were going on. I think they did that as many were not happy that Salty Dog and Gelato were not available.

I asked an officer with quite a few stripes and he said that O'Malley's would be the Crab Shack on Sea Days at lunch. While we wouldn't have done Salty Dog menu for dinner I think we'd give O'Malley's menu a go for dinner. I also asked about the Sabatini's and The Catch location switch and was told Corporate wanted to make deck 7 an Italian themed area. There were some decor changes and new signage during last week and on night 7 ....after dinner service...waiters were were moving lots of carts between the 2 venues. I'm hoping it works well but we like Sabatini's and am not sure how the ambiance will be with having it open on the Piazza. Time will tell..... 

Thank you for the info!  
We’ve been on the Discovery several times over the last year and saw the Crab Shack held in the former Salty Dog. We never tried it but I heard mixed reviews from others.  
We also just love The Catch by Rudi and as mentioned, I really didn’t mind the location however, we eat early and so even the time we were seated on the balcony, the noise from the piazza was never enough to bother me.  
On the Majestic, they offered sushi lunch on sea days in that location, whereas they have seating on the Discovery for that.  They offered the Crab Shack in the Crown Grill.  

I see what you mean about the link.  I would love O’Malley’s to be open for lunch but don’t think that will be happening.  

• Like 1