LIVE: British Isle Explorer - May 9, 2024 - Neptune

You are right Peregrina. We actually board the Neptune on the 23rd for the Homelands Cruise in Bergen. We are really enjoying your posts!  We did the British Isles cruise last Spring and loved it!  Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I believe Greenwich is used in high season but sailings earlier or later in the year use Tilbury.

Ever the contrarian, I wonder if there is more to it than just high vs low season --such as seasonal changes in depth of the river,  times of day of the high tides and other cruise lines beat them to the punch.

• Like 1

Looking for a show in London.  Check out OPERATION MINCEMEAT.

Avoid seats in the Upper Circle. No knee room for the tall. Obstructed view potential for the short. 

29 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Looking for a show in London.  Check out OPERATION MINCEMEAT.

Avoid seats in the Upper Circle. No knee room for the tall. Obstructed view potential for the short. 

@Peregrina651 We nearly went to that play when we were in London this past Feb. for 12 days. The whole story is outlined in the spies exhibit at the Imperial War Museum in London. But we decided the two musicals, one play, & one church concert we attended were enough, We might be back to London next year and hopefully OPERATION MINCEMEAT will still be running—sounds like fun!

Internet is not my friend.  Just wasted an hour typing posts that never got posted covering our precruise.  I give up. 

Yesterday was Dover. We skipped all of the Viking tours and spent the day at Dover Castle.  LOVED IT.  Even though the Viking Shuttle was available we took cabs there and back. 

I can only say about the Shuttle that it stops in the town center and Dover Castle. However, we were never told how frequently it runs. Also, if the Castle stop is where I think it was, it is a long walk to get to after you have spent the day at the Castle. LOTS OF WALKING.

Welcome to Ireland!  Rainy, windy, rough day.  We got on the tender boat, which was more than difficult.  The conditions were so bad down there that the rope snapped.  No one else could get on.  One woman was separated from her husband.  Then, the tender pilot said, no way are we going anywhere.  So he motored back, tied up with a new rope, and off loaded all of us.  Absolutely terrifying.  And I’ve been in lots of bad conditions.  Tender operations have been “paused,” but I’m pretty sure the captain will cancel them.  Problem is, six groups, two tenders had already left and are on their way to Dublin.  Stay tuned.  Quite nice in Explorers Lounge right now.  I’m enjoying a bowl of raspberries🙂

• Like 2

Captain canceled all further tendering about an hour after my post above.  Very few of us got to Dublin today.  Just those on the first two tender boats. I hope they all arrive back safely.  Best tip— go on a sunny day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Captain canceled all further tendering about an hour after my post above.  Very few of us got to Dublin today.  Just those on the first two tender boats. I hope they all arrive back safely.  Best tip— go on a sunny day.

We were on that last tender too. It was more than an E ride in Disneyland. They did refund our excursions for day but sad we missed Dublin. I must say, the crew were great at keeping us as safe as possible. It’s not an experience we want to repeat ever. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have done many scary tenders, but this one I asked to get off.  Just not safe.  And then we did.  
Update:  tonight at dinner, we met a couple who went over on the first tenders.  They did their tour, but then it was too rough to come back.  Viking put them up in a hotel for four hours until it was “safe” to return.  But they were still pretty shaken.  Then in CT we watched two other tenders return.  Slowly, slowly.  I am so glad we didn’t go this morning.  It was really frightening.   It I think Viking did so well by everyone!!!!

We were among the 20 independent travelers who made it into Dublin. We knew before the first (and only) shuttle bus left to take us into Dublin that tendering had been cancelled. The shuttle parks right in front of the National Gallery.

We took off for our first destination, The Little Museum of Dublin, with a stop at Boots along the way. It was a 5 min walk back to the shuttle bus and our next stop, the National Gallery.   We checked in with the bus driver for an update and learned that the last shuttle would be at 2pm. 

The museum opened at 11 and in spite of timed tickets we went right in to see the "Turning Faces" exhibition. We did not get to see the "Lost Caravaggio" because it is in the Ulster Museum in Belfast until September.  Back to the bus to wait. At 1pm, the first shuttle returned to Dun Loaghaire (pronounced Dun-lerry). About 20 minutes later it was announced that we were being bussed to a nearby hotel to wait.  We were fed (soup, tea, scones); we had nice clean toilet facilities; there was plenty of seating. And all of this put together in just a few hours.  Many thanks to the Royal Marine hotel for their gracious hospitality.

At 6pm, the return to the ship began. By 7pm the first tender was unloading.

• Like 8

We will be boarding in Bergen after you disembark.  The world cruise team painted wonderful picture of the ship and crew hope you have a wonderful time,

7 hours ago, ustowas said:

We will be boarding in Bergen after you disembark.  The world cruise team painted wonderful picture of the ship and crew hope you have a wonderful time,

Much of the team that served the world cruise has rotated or will be rotating off the ship.  Kaycee Siu is now GM Hotel.  

TUESDAY.

We are in Holyhead today.  DH and I did the South Stack Lighthouse Reserve this morning.  I did not stick with the group.  I wanted to see more of the lighthouse and the guided portion does not go there (because it is more demanding than the tour already is). 

Mobility impaired here is what you need to know.  The ground is mostly unpaved.  The steps at start of the tour are uneven and slippery when wet.  The step height is uneven and except for the first 20 ft, there is no handrail.   After 100 ft or so, it is a dirt track leading to the first overlook. At this point, I left the tour and cannot report on the rest of the pathway. 

The walk to the lighthouse is up then down until you reach the staircase down to the lighthouse.  I did not make it all the way.   It is a paved pathway.  There is a parapet on both sides with railings along one side or another at some points.  The steps are steep in some place and flatter in others -- but at least I wasn't cursing them like the first set of stairs.  However, this route is not for wheeled devices of any sort. I was winded even though I took it slow; having a cold did not help.

I really enjoyed this outing.  What I heard of the guide, Donna, was good. She was joined by a RSPB volunteer, who was really knowledgeable about the birds in the reserve.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moby_Spout said:

Thanks to you, Neptune team, for being intrepid reporters thru colds, cold and challenging environments! Your info makes for good reading and better planning.

And the realization that some things cannot be planned for. Gotta roll with the punches some days.  

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 10:08 PM, Peregrina651 said:

And the realization that some things cannot be planned for. Gotta roll with the punches some days.  

Like getting sick and not leaving the cabin for two days.  I missed Liverpool and Belfast, where we had planned to do the included tours and then wander on our own.  

DH did the tours without me and gave both tours a thumbs up.  

Ullapool, the U pronounced as uh, today.  Lovely little town.  The walking tour was lovely but not necessary.  The town is easy to get around.  A little shopping, a few eateries, an ice cream stand and beautful views.  Perfect port for a light tour-free day. 

• Like 2

Ullapool- we did the Scenic Assynt. It started out an iffy tour as we were all fogged in. Ship blew fog horn every 2-3 minutes coming in. We were told tour would still go unless tour company canceled. If we canceled there was no refund. We hoped for the best as still had an hour to go and sun was trying to burn through. By the time we left on a calm tender ride into port, the fog had lifted to halfway up the hills and mountains. We still had hope. 
This was all bus ride to farthest point, Little Assynt, and return same route. We had 2 photo stops, one each way with about 30-35 minutes in very very small town. It was nice to see the green hills and lochs but not worth 3 1/2 hours or the cost. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DesertCruiser2000 said:

This was all bus ride to farthest point, Little Assynt, and return same route. We had 2 photo stops, one each way with about 30-35 minutes in very very small town. It was nice to see the green hills and lochs but not worth 3 1/2 hours or the cost. 

Same with ours to Inverewe Gardens.  All bus ride, very cold and foggy in the gardens.  We toured for 30 minutes and had a hot lunch. But three hours on the bus.  And late to the tender.  As soon as our group boarded, the ship left.  I have been to little Ullapool before and wish we had done it again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Same with ours to Inverewe Gardens.  All bus ride, very cold and foggy in the gardens.  We toured for 30 minutes and had a hot lunch. But three hours on the bus.  And late to the tender.  As soon as our group boarded, the ship left.  I have been to little Ullapool before and wish we had done it again.  

Sorry you had a foggy day! Did you enjoy the gardens themselves? We will be driving through that area next month and plan to stop by the IG.

54 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Sorry you had a foggy day! Did you enjoy the gardens themselves? We will be driving through that area next month and plan to stop by the IG.

54 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Yes, the gardens are spectacular.  But 50 acres, and we were supposed to have a guided tour and did not.  The rhododendrons and azaleas were spectacular!  Do go.  Just don’t take a bus tour, IMO.

IMG_7054.thumb.jpeg.14633f35b916c4d88c961ddff58adee9.jpeg

• Like 2

Orkney today.   It was cold and I really should not have left my fourth windbreaker layer on the bus. Temps this morning in the 50s.

My second visit to the islands with Viking. On the first, we did the 2016 version of the included tour which included visits to the Italian Church, the Ring of Brodnar and I don't remember now what else. 

This visit we chose the 3.5 hour optional tour that covered Scapa Flow and Skara Brae. Let me start by saying that I loved the tour. It was the perfect tour for my attention span and it covered exactly what I wanted to see. Icing on the cake was our guide Lorraine. She was very knowledgeable. She spoke slowly and clearly and it was obvious that she has been herding tourist and other varieties of cats for a while. She was Mrs. Doubtfire -- soft-spoken but no doubt who was in charge.

The tour is an hour narrated drive along the Scapa Flow to the the Skara Brae/Skaill House property, an hour and a half at the property and a one hour drive back to the ship that passes more Neolithic sites including Ring of Brodnar and the Standing Stones of Stennis.

• Like 5