Bruge transportation, credit card, best chocolate shop, and best Belgium Waffles, Questions. Please help!

Hi,

We are going to be in Belgium this July on RCCL Anthem of the Sea.  Been doing some research and I have a couple of questions.

1. It looks like the best way to get from the port to the city is via Cruise Express.   Planning to just get our tickets there, where would they sell them and will they take credit cards?

2.  I believe I read there are 5 chocolatiers,(I'm sure there's more that sell chocolates) in the city....which is the best one?

3. Where is the best place to try a Belgium Waffle?

4. Where do you suggest get some Belgium Beer flights?

5.  Do most places take credit cards, or do we need to get Euros?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, elsplace2 said:

I believe I read there are 5 chocolatiers,(I'm sure there's more that sell chocolates) in the city....which is the best one?

3. Where is the best place to try a Belgium Waffle?

4. Where do you suggest get some Belgium Beer flights?

Google would be your best option for replies to these questions.  Try searching for something like"best waffles (or chocolae or beer flights) Bruges"

The "best chocolate" one could be tricky as I never heard-or tasted- any Belgian chocolate which was not "the best" although given a coice,  I usually pass on it as my personal preference is for a higher cocoa  content, darker chocolate.😁

Like the beer.  "Best taste" for one person  may be different for another as it is really personal preference which decides which is "the best" for you, which means you have the fun of sampling various samples.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sudoku said:

Don’t forget. Belgium invented the French Fry. For us, it’s a must do while there. 

............. as long as you like mayo on your "French fries" 😏.

In the same vein, in British "fish & chip shop" chips ( not what you call "potato chips" but a much fatter version of the fries that you get in the US or Belgium) you choose whether to add salt & vinegar - but in Birmingham they come ready-doused in curry sauce unless you remember to say "no curry sauce please".

I rarely visit Birmingham - and always forget.😧

JB 🙂 

59 minutes ago, John Bull said:

In the same vein, in British "fish & chip shop" chips ( not what you call "potato chips" but a much fatter version of the fries that you get in the US or Belgium) you choose whether to add salt & vinegar - but in Birmingham they come ready-doused in curry sauce unless you remember to say "no curry sauce please".

JB 🙂 

JB, don’t forget Brummie Bacon Cakes and Pikelets. Yummy Brummie!

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂 

The curry sauce would totally gross me out!  🤮  However, after visiting Amsterdam I'm quite partial to mayo with my fries!  😋

25 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

JB, don’t forget Brummie Bacon Cakes and Pikelets. Yummy Brummie!

So the heathen culinary practices of Brum have reached the lakes & forests of Ontario.

Oh dear !!

😏 😂😂😂

But, @SUESEABE I agree about mushy peas.

And @Senga, yes I also agree with mayo - on fries, but not on chunky British chips. 

I wonder whether they have similar conversations in https://www.cordonbleu.edu/home/en 🤔

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

That's the only way we eat them!

• Like 1

I can try and answer the waffle question - in general in Belgium, the best place to get one is from a metro station, small kiosk or waffle van! They’re the most authentic and most likely to be hot and freshly made. Bruges doesn’t have a metro system, but the same principle applies.  

I suggest the Liege version (hot, sticky with caramelised nuggets of sugar) over the Brussels version (light and flat, often stuffed with fruit or topped with cream). In Flemish that’s a Luiksewafel, in French its gaufre liegeois. 

You might have to do quite a bit of googling to find somewhere offering beer flights, other than Le Trappiste (which has lots on tap). 

Lots of Belgian beer is very strong (can be 10% abv plus) and made for drinking slowly. Also, the proper stuff is far more likely to be in bottles than on tap which complicates it further. (Thinking back, I don’t think I ever saw beer flights advertised in Brussels in the 7 years I lived there).

Many of the Trappist beers come in multiple strengths (Chimay, Duvel) and have complementary cheese brands (Rochefort, Grimbergen), so consider popping into a supermarket on the way back to the ship to make a selection for a curated balcony tasting?!

6 hours ago, rhiannon84 said:

Lots of Belgian beer is very strong (can be 10% abv plus) and made for drinking slowly. Also, the proper stuff is far more likely to be in bottles than on tap which complicates it further. (Thinking back, I don’t think I ever saw beer flights advertised in Brussels in the 7 years I lived there).

I tend to agree. There was a Delirium cafe in Brussels with a lot of beer on tap, but I don't think even they did flights like you'd see in the US. I just don't think it's a thing in Belgium. The better beer is served in small glasses and enjoyed fairly slowly. And the really good stuff is 10-14% alcohol (barley wine territory) and one can be quite enough.

Probably can't take the supermarket beer onto the ship, in most cases, unfortunately. It'll probably get nabbed and returned on the last evening. At room temperature or above...

And I'll second a previous post on Mary Chocolate. Probably my favorite Belgian chocolate from too many trips to Brussels over the years. I'd buy others to bring back to the office (Leonidas) but Mary always made it home to my wife...

• Like 1

Yes Leonidas is great generic gift chocolate, but it’s Mary or Pierre Marcolini for the really good stuff you keep to yourself!

I don’t know RCCL’s European policy, but most cruise lines which ban taking alcohol onboard on US/Caribbean cruises allow it in Europe. So do check if that’s the case for your cruise

• Like 1

thanks again everyone...there doesn't seem to be  alot of options getting from the cruise port to Bruges...  Cruise Express stops at noon....on going into town....does anyone know if your ship comes in at 11:00 (which is the time ours expected in) do they go beyond 12:00 to accommodate the later arrival of the ship?

1 hour ago, elsplace2 said:

thanks again everyone...there doesn't seem to be  alot of options getting from the cruise port to Bruges...  Cruise Express stops at noon....on going into town....does anyone know if your ship comes in at 11:00 (which is the time ours expected in) do they go beyond 12:00 to accommodate the later arrival of the ship?

I don't know, but they're a private company so not hidebound by regulation timetables.

But rather than rely on probabilities, the best bet is to e-mail them and ask. Quote your date, arrival & sailaway times, and your ship's name (more likely with a big ship than with a tiddler) 

Other choices will include ship's "Bruges on your own" transfer (drops at the same place as the Cruise Express) or ship's shuttle for the 2 - 3 miles to Blankenberge station for the hourly direct train (12 minutes, under €10 return)

Bruges station and the bus drop point are both an easy 15-20min walk to the cobbled centre.

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Is this the same sort of curry sauce we got on the currywursts we got from the Schnell-Imbiss when I lived in Germany?

Was it awful ?

If it was, then yes it's probably the same curry sauce 🤢 😏

JB 🙂